Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shiny new CCDB

mtbr member

mtbr member

steep fast and loose :)
    you sh1t.

mtbr member
    Niice.. they are lush .. I wish i got one in Gold !

mtbr member
    I got 2 in at the same time(one for a customer). Only mine came in gold. the other was a 190X50 so they're obviously not doing all the sizes in gold yet.

Drink...sleep
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the Roco on the Helius Richard. So get out and ride some!

mtbr member
    I won't one !
    best I start saving me thinks...
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

5cotty - if you want one, call dipper
    see www.gravity-sports.co.uk
    as he's a dealer up here and gets the CCDB.
    i love mine on my 6 pack and will have one on my Helius AM if i buy it, depending on dipper's demo rig test,

simon.

mtbr member
    probably a bit early for 1st impressions as I've only had 2 rides but looking good so far. the CCDB came with a 600lb spring which is bang on 30% sag. However this frame works better with a good bit more sag as I found when running the Roco. 30% works well enough but feels overly sprung and lacks finesse. Even climbing it's more likely to bump over stuff as oppossed to the efortless traction a good horst link normally has

I know from running a 550lb spring on the roco that traction is greatly improved, as is small bump compliance with no loss of pedalabilty. With the ccdb I suspect I may even be able to drop to a 500lb spring.

Even with the too stiff spring, the excellent damping control is evident. It doesn't get it's knickers in a twist like the roco occassionally did. Bottom out, compression and rebound control off of drops is stunning. If I can dial in that bottomless feel with the lighter spring I'll be well happy.

I'll post more once i get the new springs and have tested it back to back with the_lecht_rocks ccdb shod 6-pack. Hopefully, my medium heius AM should have arrived as well by then as well

"Its All Good"
    A whole lotta bling in Gold for sure.... For me am glad mine is not gold, looks good, but not on my colour scheme... LOL..... For sure looks the ducks nuts on a black frame...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    I have to agree with you there Whafe, gold and cammo, not my thing. Would sure look good any dark single coloured frame. Imagine the build with gold hubs? Serious bling bling!

Wicketed
    looks very cool - you just need to get those bolts ti-nitride'd ;-)
    looking forward to getting mine set up on the 6pack...thanks for getting hold of it for me, dipper.

i have a feeling its going to be a sweet summer :-)
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

swan lee - if you PM me, i'll let you into some stunning 6 Pack CCDB settings as your base line,

simon.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    I have to agree with you there Whafe, gold and cammo, not my thing. Would sure look good any dark single coloured frame. Imagine the build with gold hubs? Serious bling bling!
    yeah, gold will look ghey on camo...i wanted black but mine is coming gold unfortunately as they had no black left

mtbr member
    Hi Dipper or anybody who has the info that I need..

I have a very good customer at work who has asked me what I would like in way of a thanks for my hard work, He is going to buy me a CCDB with Ti Spring :-) I'm very happy with this but need to give him some info to allow him to order it for me.
    Would you be so kind to let me know the info he will need to do this.
    He works in the bike Industry but not in the World of Nicolai's so needs all the info in detail.

For the rest of you guys what spring do you think I should go with ?
    I'm 11.5 stone and only ride with knee and shin pads from time to time and don't tend to ride the trails light as I was brought up in the days when only hard tails ruled the woods ! So I do tend to pick my lines rather that just crash and bash my way down..

Any thoughts or info would be great.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    From what I remember I was only asked 3 questions by Black Sheep and i assume they passed this onto Malcolm at CC to get the setup for me

What is your weight?
    175lbs without gear
    185lbs with gear - clothes shoes helmets bpack

What type of bike?
    Nicolai Helius FR - requires a 200mm / 7.87 (double check) inch shock.

Riding type
    Aggressive AM and the occasional park day

PS: Lucky you.. man the CCDB is so dam good !

"Its All Good"
    5c0tty - Karve has it perfect, couldnt add more than that, you could always make contact with Toni (Err) and sort it, then give your customer (awesome by the sounds) his details and be good to go....

You will rate this shock BIG time, very good indeed....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    I agree with all of the above. If the cash allows, the CCDB is the only way to go!

mtbr member
    when ordering the ccdb theres a form to fill in with your details. Cane Creek will supply the right spring for you based on that. Although personally i'd go with steel just to make sure it's right then maybe Ti later

mtbr member
    I'd agree with Dippers advice. I've tried my new Helius with 3 different spring rates starting with too stiff and working back to the current 450 which appears to be right for me. Get the Ti spring once you're completely happy with the set up.

rodriguez1
    i was riding angelfire last week, i had a ccdb on my ufo st and it blew up....it was crazy metal to metal clunking after that. still a badass shock!! i will send it back and try it again.
    LASTIMAGES.COM
    for all your photo needs![SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rodriguez1
    i was riding angelfire last week, i had a ccdb on my ufo st and it blew up....it was crazy metal to metal clunking after that. still a badass shock!! i will send it back and try it again.
    Whoa, first issue I have heard, not that I know many people, but ya know what I mean..

Any idea why or what happened?

Malcolm will sort you out am sure

mtbr member
    I was riding my bike last night and thinking about shocks on the long climb up. When I bought my Nucleon in 2004 5th Element Shocks where all the rage with owners claiming to run lighter springs and more sag, using the compression etc just as people seem to be doing with the CCDB's.
    Just a comment... I've never tried it so can't say if it's good or bad but it's interesting that this has come round again.

mtbr member
    the 5th element was pretty much the shock that kickstarted the whole 'platform' shock thing(as far as I remember). Propedal, TST etc all came along later.

the difference between these shocks and the likes of the CCDB is that they all have some form of factory set low speed damping that helps isolate rider imput and other LS events, whether you want it or not. because they don't have separate circuits for LS and HS damping(mailnly talking compression here) any adjustments have a knock on effect to HS damping so getting a good balance is tricky.

the CCDB has no platform as such. it's fully tunable to give any feel you want. Dial in LS comp/rebound to get the desired amount of platform you want without adversely affecting the HS damping. If you or your frame don't require a platform then you can dial it out.

Thats my basic understanding of it anyway.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that, it was very well put and easy to understand.
    I just read the CCDB manual thing from the website and that was an interesting read as well. Not sure I'll do anything with all this extra information... maybe it will keep my head busy on the next long drag of a climb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast