mtbr member
    May 2009

seeking opinions on a fork selection

hi, all!
    i'm still riding (and loving) my helius fr from 2004. it started life as a 37# freeride oriented frame, but i did a rebuild a few years ago to bring it to the low 30s, and last year i did another rebuild to bring it to around 25.5#.

the truth of the matter is that my freeride days are behind me. these days i enjoy climbing and fast XC / trail riding. i occasionally catch a little air, but it's smooth and not far off the ground. i don't only ride buff singletrack, but i tend to pick good lines through rocky areas rather than just point it.

so....in recent times i've used a fox float 36 (150mm) w/ 20mm axle, and last year i rode on a fox TALAS 32 (150mm) w/ 15mm axle. many variables changes, but i found that the fork just seemed less "sure" and also less smooth -- perhaps more flexy. i'm no huge guy (150# w/o gear), and i'm not sure if the difference i felt was a function of (a) going from 20 to 15mm axle, (b) going from 36mm to 32mm stanchion, and/or (c) going from a float to a TALAS.

i felt like i would use the travel adjuster more often than i did. the truth is that i often forgot to drop it down for long ascents....and when i did drop it down i sometimes forgot to return it to full travel. i'm feeling like it may unnecessarily complicate things, so if i get a new fork i don't think i need it. perhaps i'm also used to ascending everything with a fork in 150mm mode.

here's my latest dilemma:
    i saw that the 2012 rockshox SID WC (dual air, not dual position) forks are 120mm travel and over a pound lighter than my TALAS (~1350g v 1800g). this really caught my eye; i knew they were lighter, but i didn't realize they were THAT much lighter -- and i figured those forks were short travel.

has anyone ridden float 36, talas 32 and/or the SID world cup series (120mm)?

i've got a couple of questions:
    a) for the type of riding i described (fast XC/trail, wheels mainly on the ground, lighter rider, occasional racer), is the SID suited?
    b) the SID has 32mm stanchions. is a large part of my problem with the TALAS the fact that it's longer travel (150mm) and the 32mm stanchions? would the shorter travel fork be fine w/ 32mm stanchions?
    c) the SID has a tapered steerer and 15mm axle. the axle will stay the same for me -- will the tapered aspect of the steerer contribute to better performance?
    d) the SID XX WC has a remote lockout; the SID WC lacks the remote but supposedly has a better blow-off valve feature. both are very similar in weight. is one a better choice?

the downside for me is that i like a more slack front end (67-68*), and there's a 26mm difference in a2c for SID vs the TALAS. i run an angleset (zero stack) with the TALAS @ -1.5* and could switch to an external cup for the SID. this would reduce that gap a bit, though i'd still have a front end that is steeper by 1-1.5*. not sure if i can solve that.

i welcome your opinions and comments.

mtbr member
    25.5lb FR?!!

for the type of gear you're considering and the type of riding the first thing id be changing is the frame. As versatile as the FR is, it'll be way out of design parameters on a set of Sids. handling will be ropey at best
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    25.5lb FR?!!
    ... As versatile as the FR is, it'll be way out of design parameters on a set of Sids. handling will be ropey at best

Why? Those oldest FR`s from 2004 were designed to fixed 140mm of travel in rear and
    max 150mm in front. Here´s still few alive and kicking, seen those also with Sids.
    Last edited by pergamonx; 11-29-2011 at 04:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx View Post
    Why? Those oldest FR`s were designed to 130-150mm of travel in both ends.
    is that right? pilot was trying to find that info out a while back.

still, a 120mm sid is a different beast to the likes of a tall 130 marzocchi that were on the go back then. If he has to make do with the FR frame then fair enough. its just a bike at the end of the day and you can set it up anyway you like. however, you dont build a 25lb fr on a limited budget so it would make sense to buy a more suitable frame rather than throw ££££'s at the FR trying to turn it into something that was never intended.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @dipper, my first version was right, but not correct. In 2004 FR frame there was fixed front mount for rear shock and max rear suspension was 5,5"- there was similar four hole-setup than today and lowest hole offered 4" if travel. Front end was max 150mm. There´s at least one scanned review of that MY FR complete bike available somewhere in web - probably google knows if using "Nicolai Helius FR 2004" keywords ... I´m not sure but have heard that FR frameweight were comparable for later RC-frames.

Argee that 120mm SID is too short for old FR, those SID´s I´ve seen are longer ones.
    Last edited by pergamonx; 11-29-2011 at 05:09 AM.