Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Samwell's Nicolai ION................

Hi all, had to take the liberty to start a thread with the first ION.....

Samwell had posted his bike in a long running Nicolai thread on ION's...

Post away re this bad boy, looks the business.

Samwell, tell us how she went this weekend in your race....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..it looks awesome!

mtbr member
    MM i like the lime green too.. delicious looking rig. Has anyone done an ION on how they ride?

"Its All Good"
    Waiting on Samwell, he mentioned he was racing over the weekend.... Am keen to see more shots.... All good.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Thank you whafe, I don't have a lot of time with my studies, cause I'm racing on we and I have to work during the week.
    For a first race, and the first time I was ridding with my ion, I'm very proud of my place : around 35 on 450 people. This bike is absolutely amayzing, you just have to push on the handlebar, and it turns so easily that I almost crashed the first time !
    I ran it on the 200mm position, because there was a lot of pedaling on this 3.00min race. There was three other Ion on this race : One was ridden by the brother of Joris Bigoni, the official Nicolai Pilot, and the two others by the french Nicolai "enduro" team. They all finished before me, so we can say that this bike is really good at downhilling.
    It was really difficult at the beginning for me, because it is really different from the BMXTB, but after a few hours of training, I decided to lower the bottom bracket with the adjustements on the frame, and it is now really better, the position is less "XC" and it's a bit more stable !
    Will write about it later, and the pics will be there soon !
    Specs are coming too !

A little pic of me on the "double" of the track :
    Never enough singletracks !

"Its All Good"
    Sweet to hear re the bike and your race samwell... Look forward to more pictures etc when you get a chance...

Keep up those studies though.....

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Very nice. I like that bike alot.

mtbr member
    Here are the specs :
    * Frame, Size, & Color: Ion ST size L green kawa/brillant black
    * Fork: Marzocchi 888RC2X 2007
    * Shock, i2i, stroke : Fox DHX5 450*2.8 steel spring (waiting for the Ti spring)
    * Brakes: Avid juicy 7
    * Pedals: 24B
    * Stem: thomson x4 50mm 31.8
    * Handlebar: race face diabolus 31.8 710mm
    * Seatpost: SDG I beam
    * Saddle: SDG I beam I fly C
    * Chain: sram pg 971
    * Cranks: Race face evolve DH
    * Shifters: sram trigger
    * Front Derailleur: none -> E13 DRS
    * Rear Derailleur: shimano 105
    * Cassette: shimano ultegra 11-23
    * Headset: accros "richie schley replica"
    * Grips: odi lock on
    * Front Tire: Maxxis minionF 2.5
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic EX721/dt swiss
    * Front Hub/Skewer: hope pro2
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis high roller 2.5
    * Rear Rim/ Spokes: Mavic EX721/dt swiss
    * Cables: jagwire
    * Misc: Hope seatpost clamp
    * Overall Weight: 19kg

I've changed the pedals because my wellgo mg1 brand new are already a little bit used by the rocks because of the low bottom braket. I'm waiting for an E13 LG1 and a titanium spring to lighten the bike to 18.5kg. This summer I will change the handlebar for a 750mm sunline, and the crank for the new shimano SLX or a gravity light, and maybe the brakes for the new formula the one. It must be around 18kg, which is really good for a nicolai downhill !

A few more pics :

awesome build, man!

"Its All Good"
    Very sweet indeed, great build and great pictures....

a tight kick sound
    Awesome!!
    I loves me some Ion

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looking great, dude.

And blooming well done on the place in the race. Let's not forget that it's the riding that got us here in the first place.

Paul

mtbr member
    Awesome looking machine dude... love the green. well done on your race. How does she ride? do you think with the long wheelbase you could use that as more of a FR bike?

A big big FR bike could be my next build and that could be a great platform.

mtbr member
    To my mind, this bike is really race oriented with its short wheelbase, and it might be a good bike for FR with longer wheelbases, but why not taking the Helius ST, which has mostly the same geometry, and which had longer wheelbases.
    I haven't got the time to try some big jumps, but it has a really good comportment in the air, easy to move, and really stable (of course it is compared to my bmxtb and my giant reign, but it was very reassuring.
    So wait for my holidays next week and I will be able to help you a liitle more.

mtbr member
    Hy everybody !
    After one week of riding, I like this bike more and more ! I've been riding for a week and I've improved the settings of the suspensions.
    I've made a report of my first rides with my Ion but it's in french ! If you can understand it it's here : http://www.grenoblevtt.com/forum_php...=103177#103177
    Here are some pics of yesterday in my own downhill track :

sweet shots, Sam!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Sam ... just amazing ...

"Its All Good"
    Cooleo Sam, great to hear and see you are enjoying the ION so much... mucho stokage...

mtbr member
    Hy everybody,
    last week was my second competition, a regional championship in which I finished 8th on 120people. I am know used to ride this bike and I can't stop finding it amazing ! The lowered BB is really good in the berms, and the bike really stable in the air as you can see on the picture of this road gap (2m high, 5m long) :

At the beginning, my pedals were hitting on the ground really often, so often that I had to remove my magnesium pedals for aluminium ones. Now that I'm used to this low BB, I rarely got problem with this so I'm gonna put them back quickly.
    I'm still waiting for a Ti spring and the MRP G2 in order to win some weight, which is now the only negative point of this amazing bike.
    Sorry for the man who send me a PM I'll answer you tomorrow !

"Its All Good"
    Sam, great shots and great to hear your thoughts on the ION..

Along with how the DH racing season is going for you. You have gotta love the fact that you got the best race number you can get, 69, was that your preference or just the way it turned out? LOL

Also interesting to note that on the Nicolai website re there pro race team, that a good number of the riders are on ION's not just GBoxx steads....

mtbr member
    For the number, it's just the way it turned out but it was very funny !
    For the nicolai pro riders, they are actually waiting for the new Ion with G-box2 which should be operationnal really soon !

mtbr member
    samwell - sweeet keep the reports coming.. glad ur loving the bike! What race was that? Have you entered a series?

mtbr member
    This race was the regional championship of "Franche comt" (France is separated in 22 regions)
    In France you got 4 different types of competition :
    -> A french championship, in which there is only one race which determines the French champion (Fabien BAREL last year)
    -> A french cup, in which there are three race this year, which determines a global french cup winner (like in the world cup)
    -> A regional championships, in which there is only one race which determines the regional champion in each region (actually there are only 4 or 5 regions in which there are competitons)
    -> A regional cup, in which there are 8 races this year, which determines a regional cup winner.

For now, there are only a few regional races which happened. My first race was a regional race of the region where I live, and my second (the last one) was the regional championship of the region where I'm studying. The level is a little bit lower, but there are some french top 20 riders !
    The races of the french cup are all in July and August, so I still got time to train harder in order to enter the top 50 of the French rider in French cup. Before the first french race, I still got 2 regional races, and the regional championship of my region.

Actually, I don't really know the series but I've heard about the english summer series, which should be the same as our french cup races.
    I hope you've undertsood what I've tried to explain, it's not really easy for me to explain, my vocabulary is not really developped.

mtbr member
    samwell - your English is better than mine so don't worry about that....

Wow all sounds very organized.. not sure we have such a heirachy of events here in the UK... but then again we dont have the natural terrain like you do.

I will be going to France twice this yea to ride DH.. Let Gets and also Chamonix. Im not a racer like you but would fall into the Enduro DH category i guess.

Do you know those areas at all?
    Any things I must do while I am there?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yeah I know those areas, Chamonix I've got a very good friend who can give you the best tracks there. There aren't a lot of DH tracks, it's almost freeride tracks with a lot of rocks and roots.
    Les gets, is to my mind not the best place to ride, even if there are a lot of english people who like to go there. Some other stations in the "Portes du soleil" like Chatel or Morgins are to my mind really better if you're looking for technical tracks and not large tracks with a lot of brake bumps. If you stay one week in Les Gets, try do make two or three days in the other stations like chatel and morgins, you will really enjoy it !
    If you feel like it, you can even try the world cup track in Champery, the most difficult track ever ! I tried it with an hardtail, and I'm still wondering how it is possible to race on such a track, even if you brake, you're always accelerating, and your only chance to stop is to hit a tre !
    Actually, it depends on your level, but if you prefer easy tracks whch are fun, les gets are perfect, but it can quickly become annoying if you got a good level, so it's up to you to decide what to do !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast