Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nicolai

RockShox Vivid Air on Nicolai Frames

Hi guys.

Just wana know anyone else here using a vivid air,( besides Whafe - wats your set up npw??? ) ETE/ stroke weight+ set up much appreciated.

as i am exploring the possibility of it working as well as a CCDB . Personally tried the CCDB on my frame ( which is from Pilot - many thanks) and after a few set up i am trying to find the missing link to make the vivid air as close to a CCDB as possible, i dont think it can be the same but i believe can be close, or at least work better then what it is now.

the CCDB has been return to its rightful owner and hes so impress with it now on a Helius am...

Any feed back. discussion will be much appreciated. intend to have a lil project/ tuning with the Vivid air.

"Its All Good"
    To be honest, I have not had much of a play, I have set the sag and left it on the factory settings. Have been really flat out with work, not much time to ride, which sucks... Should get more time in a few weeks...

But keen to hear others settings etc...

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    Hi guys.

Just wana know anyone else here using a vivid air,( besides Whafe - wats your set up npw??? ) ETE/ stroke weight+ set up much appreciated.

as i am exploring the possibility of it working as well as a CCDB . Personally tried the CCDB on my frame ( which is from Pilot - many thanks) and after a few set up i am trying to find the missing link to make the vivid air as close to a CCDB as possible, i dont think it can be the same but i believe can be close, or at least work better then what it is now.

the CCDB has been return to its rightful owner and hes so impress with it now on a Helius am...

Any feed back. discussion will be much appreciated. intend to have a lil project/ tuning with the Vivid air.

man that looks tight in there!! id be uber worried about the piggy back contacting the frame on full compression!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am thinking about one for the AC,would like to hear more thoughts and riding experience first.

Nicolai
    its the cables that make it look tight or should i say the way the picture is taken it clears perfectly ..

Riding experience is fantastic, only thing is on a high tune vivid air for nicolai the shock itself feels pretty much nail it without any clicks or anything so far. you can run 40% sag and yet only bottom out only once of twice in a ride. hot rod may make the end stroke a lil less sensitive but that only happen once in my many many rides with it

mtbr member
    Sam, why not the Monarch Plus for the AM? Surely the vivid A is a bit overkill?

For those running a vivid Air, would you say it rides similar to a coil? Has anyone used one in anger for sustained periods??

As ever I'm trying to decipher real world advantages verses marketing BS.

TIA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    Sam, why not the Monarch Plus for the AM? Surely the vivid A is a bit overkill?

For those running a vivid Air, would you say it rides similar to a coil? Has anyone used one in anger for sustained periods??

As ever I'm trying to decipher real world advantages verses marketing BS.

TIA
    Did look at the Monarch plus rc3.I have used a standard Monarch,and didnt like it,Feels dead and lifeless,The Plus looks good though.

Running the Monarch would lose 400g
    Running the Vivid air would lose 240g

Its the performance that i am more intrerested in.

Nicolai
    let me see.. been doing many set up for Shocks + Nicolai frames so lets say with the vivid air almost 80 percent dial in to what i like. more then 10 rides so far.... i will put in a percentage against some other nice shock i have tested.

Vivid air feels like 80% of what a CCDB would feel ( on a Helius AM) - with CCDB on factory recommanded setting and Vivid air nothing dial in just air match at 33% sag.
    Vivid air feels just like a coil untill the very end stroke ( maybe needs more tuning?)
    Feels better then - RC4, Monarch , DHX5.0AIR/ COIL, Vivid coil. with Ti/ steel coil mix.
    all above with minimal adjustments to my satisfaction ( hence all above are base on my opinion only)

i had the choice of Elka, Vivid coil, CCDB, it wasnt the light weight over coil shocks/ advertising / hear say/ review that made me chose it but because it was wrongly orderes for a Nicolai frame with 216x63 and this one is a 200x 57 ! WHahhaha.

well. you have to try it,, and am still amazed by the Hot rod.... till i strip it apart

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tempted to try the Monarch Plus RC3.

Will find out off Nicolai what tune i need.

steep fast and loose :)
    have none of you had a custom tune dedicated to frame / rider weight and ride preferences from a trusted shock tuner ?

off the shelf shocks cannot replicate a custom tune.

"Its All Good"
    On my limited 2 rides on the Vivid Air, it is a better feel on stock settings than the fiddled by me RP23 on the AC.....

rpm1hundy - I dont at all feel the Vivid Air is to much for an AM, say an RP23 will not be enough in my opinion... The AM is the new FR
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    have none of you had a custom tune dedicated to frame / rider weight and ride preferences from a trusted shock tuner ?

off the shelf shocks cannot replicate a custom tune.
    Had a Pushed DHX,pushed van coil,Pushed rp23 and have had forks custom Tuned etc by Tftuned,None were as good as the CCDB.Didnt have the Lyrik coils done,Didnt have them long enough.
    When i have it serviced will definetely be asking about Custom tuning and setting it up for me and my bike,my weight.

What did you have done to yours and how much difference has it made to the ride?
    Dont want a rant about pedal strike from you.

Nicolai
    would say, the vivid air would be , by far the easiest to set up and least set up bias but maximum performance shock available ( to us here). CCDB will be nice but will take you a while to get it right ( really right ) so.. each to own likings

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    would say, the vivid air would be , by far the easiest to set up and least set up bias but maximum performance shock available ( to us here). CCDB will be nice but will take you a while to get it right ( really right ) so.. each to own likings
    I am running a CCDB now,not sure its worth changing for 240g.The CCDB is amazing on the AC,it alows you to go where you shouldnt really on a 145mm travel Trail bike.

The Combination of Bos Deville and CCDB are pretty amazing,I dont want to ruin the way it feels.Would like to lose a pound or so off it.

Nicolai
    hi norcosam, personally the vivid air and CCDB both are very very nice shocks. i like both of them but of course my choice had been the Vivid air as im just into the coil shock feel i guess only the CCDB can handle the Deville. The vivid air requres much tweaking to match the deville

am still tweaking on both the fork and shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi

I now have a Nicolai Helius AM However I have issues to set up the the vivid air. I always have a sag around 40% even if I pump more air into it. It makes no real difference. Hence I haven't found a good description on how to set up the Vivid Air, I wonder if some one here nows it?

Nicolai
    Have been running 37-40% sag with no issues , all other adjustments all open ... Works vey well for me so far

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So can you give more feedback on the vivid air / helius am ?
    How does it ride? Soft / plush or responsive / firm ?
    Does it blow / waste the travel?
    How is the sensitivity / smoothness ?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Replaced the vivid air with a Vivid Coil. Works perfekt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Guys - just ordered an AM and I'm thinking about the vivid air for it - I notice attitude has a High tune and Whafe a medium tune - what made you guys select those and what are your impressions on the shock?

Thanks...!

Nicolai
    hi there,

after clearification with Nicolai , a Mid tune should be use. its the same on my E2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks! How have you found the shock in comparison to other air shocks?

"Its All Good"
    I went for the mid tune after discussing with Chad my LBS at Red Barn, along with word from Nicolai...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromthesurf View Post
    Hi Guys - just ordered an AM and I'm thinking about the vivid air for it - I notice attitude has a High tune and Whafe a medium tune - what made you guys select those and what are your impressions on the shock?

Thanks...!
    @farfromthesurf - Vivid Air`s not bad - I picked one (medium tune R2C-model) for my AC (the first one with similar linkage and leverage rates than shorter rocker AM) and it`s even better than expected. Have compared it to few other shocks, including tuned EX200, Vip`nAir and CCDB. I use only top hole in rocker what gives ~165mm of max rear movement and with this setup, with such a a high level falling rate Vivid Air gives nice active feeling also in the end of stroke. Itīs simple to adjust and adjustment ranges are wide enough. Comparing to coil shocks - there`s need a really good tuning with coil to get the same what Vivid Air offers.

If you`ll use mainly lower holes when mounting shock, then medium tune is fine. If using the highest one only, even the high tune should work ok.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks all. Those of you that have tried the CCDB and the Vivid Air - how do they compare - in terms of set up time/effort required and actual ride feel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast