Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Replacing my Helius FR

Hi Guys, after 2 months and no sign of my pride and joy its time to say goodbye and move on.

Now this is similar to another thread on here which I have read, but in the next year I am going to buy two mor nicolais.There use will be for england trial centers local dh courses and general riding. Now I have a cove handjob which I currently use for simple rides (well currently for everything) so I don't need a light nipy bike.

When I had the FR I was going to buy a CC as its little brother because at a weight of 36lbs the FR was a bit porky. However with its recent theft it means I can now get somethingwith a little more travel.

So for the time being I was thinking of getting a helius ST single ring with an mtb cassette and single crown totems, for a full spec see below. Then when funds allow I was going to buy an AM with a relativly lightweight build then put boxxers on the st.

So in the end I will end up with a 140mm travel steel hardtail, a relativly lightweight helius AM then a longer travel Helius ST with triple clamps. Does this sound sensible.

Other possible pairs are:

am and ion st (think the ion is a bit much as it will be my only bike for a year)
    cc and fr (a little bit lightweight)
    cc and st (to much over lap between the hardtail and the cc)

So can people put my mind at rest and tell me that my combo makes the most sense......

pec of the st:

xl heius st in ano black with gold linkages and decals with a dhx 5 (maybe a ccdb and if you think it sounds sick look at how nice my fr was)

Totm solo airs
    King hubs, bb, and steelset
    Mavic 721s
    saint cranks, rear mech
    xtr shifter
    burgtec pedals
    thompson stem and seatpost
    sunline v2 bar
    sdg bell air ti sadle
    hope moto v2 vented (as the formula thes ones on my fr were shite...)

comes to about 4500 pound as my lbs has given me an amazing deal...

steep fast and loose :)
    4500 pound - thats a bit heavy.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Yeah my AM is only 31lbs

I think personally i would go for and Ion and an AM if you can justify it.

I've just gone for an AM as my allround bike, working well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the only thing bugs with the ion is its a bit much bike for the south of england, and as it will be my only sus bike for a year then i want something not quite so hardcore. but pleased with the am tho......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ip,

I went ST large plus CC xl, CCDB on both, Totem Air on ST, DT EXC150 on CC. I'm 6ft 3.5ins, 200lbs.

How tall are you?

I predict that the ST will come in at around 35.5lbs and the CC 28.5lbs. The ST has the option of running a dual set-up and comes with maxle rear and 1.5 h/t.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ip,

Interested to know what's wrong with Formula "Ones"...only heard good things about them so far?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    IMO they were rubbish, went through 3 sets of pads in a week. Cooked them to the point they gave up working virtually every run (a;ways made stopping the little bit harder). a run when they didn't cook was a blessing. they ruined the holiday.

There were two people using them out there, one had similar problems to me, the other had his brakes longer and they seemed ok and he really liked them. however he had blead them about 5 times.

I now know of two other people who have had serious hat disserpation problems with their brakes.

I just don't think that they can be compaired to the hope motos.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ip,

I've heard of over heating problems in the alps with V2's?

Has anybody compared Formula The Ones with Hope V2's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well it's one of those he said/she said situations because I run Formula The Ones and they are the only brakes that I've never had heat problems with and that includes 15 minutes descents in Chamonix. I run 200mm rotors front and rear and weigh 104kg. I bought them in the Alps because the Avids I had couldn't stop overheating.
    I would agree though that the pad life isn't the best. If you like to run the levers as close to the bar as the adjuster allows, then it can feel like the pads last hardly any time at all. With a little wear, the lever ends up pulling almost to the bar and not even the pad contact adjust (which isn't that effective anyway) fixes the problem. You can move the levers away from the bar, which actually gives you more room to play with on the lever pull but there's no denying, the pads do wear quite quickly.
    As far as comparing the V2s with the Formulas, I've had a go of the V2s and think they are easily as good as the Formulas in terms of power (they are both amazing with fantastic modulation), though I've not done anything longer than a 3 minute run on the V2s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I spent 2 weeks in the alps in 2007 with hope motos on my gspot and never had any problems, could do the same decents and still have enough power and modulation to do a massive endo at the bottom of the run.

I am not saying tht the ones arn't good, I am just saying they are not the brakes for me, I am a fat bastad and i like speed whch leads to braking alot. al i am saying is that i have tried both in the alps and at least for me the hopes worked and the formulas didn't so ext time i will be getting the motos.

the company i was with had teo guides both running the ones, one had the same problem as i did and the other thought they were the best brakes in the world. oh well i just guess it depends on the rider....

fwiw, steve peat uses a hope mono mini 180mm front !!!!!!!!
    my V2's are overkill, although if i was riding the alps week in / week out, the V2's would be my 1st choice.
    i'm exchanging the v2's for tech m4's on availability for my uk based riding (i live in n.scotland).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sounds like this is more about Italian reliability and consistency than anything else

Good comparison, anyone on here V's Mr Peat! didnt you know those guys dont really use brakes, hence the mini poooop brake on the front, i'm sure he wouldnt use it on the rear unless the course called for little braking + Does peaty not ride avid brakes being a sram man!?!?

I love the V2's presonaly i'd rather need them and have them, than need them and have M4's which i dont rate for anything other than a hardtail. Its all personal choice i'm actually trying to use the brakes less, and as for you TLR you dont use brakes much! so i guess it wont matter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    see i have m4s on my handjob, well i have an m4 front and mini rear and they are fine for english trial riding i tend not to over heat them. thw only time i have is when i was doing a road descent from the very top of pemancho as i had ripped both my gear cables out. I find the m4s to be powerfull and well modulated and i preffer the feel of all hope levers over the spongy formulas.

Now here is an interesting question, b2 or the new saint?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ian a little bird tells me ST on way! Fwiw I've got Mono mini pro's on my AM with 180 front and 160 rear and not had any problems so far. But that just riding in England.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I read, that the new Shimano Saint must be one hell of brake. It was tested in a current German bike-maganzine. I believe on the brakes-board are some deatils about that test.

Edit: direct link to the brake-test-thread: (German) Bike Magazine 12/2008 - brake test

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I am going for the St, but i hope its not on the way yet as I have no way of pying for it yet

M4's are fine i've ran them for about 2 years on my hardtail but they dont compare to V2's for not an awful lot of weight gain.

Never been a fan of mini's they just seem pointless for anything other than XC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had front and rear miis on my handjob, swapped the front one out for an m4 found it to be much better, but mini easily locked the rear up so its all ok.

so the saints are powerfull, just waiting for my lbs to build a bike with them on so i can test them....

I used to have XT brakes some time ago and they were bloody great! If the new saints are anything like those i think they will be VERY good. Only gripe before were the levers were crap but they look alot nicer now, havent tried them though!

bear in mind sprung mass will also determine the power required from the braking system.
    therefore, for most UK riding, especially trail, up to 80kg mass should be perfectly catered by an M4.

mtbr member
    you got some sums to back that up simon

the best thing about big, progressive brakes is not the ultimate power, it's about not getting arm pump and being able to relax your grip on the bars. relaxed arms means more control

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Switched from M4's to Bianco's and much prefer them.....v.good feel, power and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    you got some sums to back that up simon

the best thing about big, progressive brakes is not the ultimate power, it's about not getting arm pump and being able to relax your grip on the bars. relaxed arms means more control

good point, but you're a CLYDESDALE AND i'M A SVELTE ATHLETE, NEVER GETTING PUMP WITH m4'S.
    solution is to lose weight and downsize. you know it makes sense

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ryates, sorry, only just noticed your first post, must of skipped straight past it and concentrated on brakes. I am 6ft 4 and 120 kg however much that is in pounds. so was thinking an xl st as i had a large fr with a 70 mm stem and liked the feel and was thinking that an xl with a 50mm stem will have the same length as the fr. someone in the lbs has just ordered an xl fr so will try that before i buy.

as for the brakes, the only ones i will consider for my st are motos. then for the am either the new x4's or the saints/xt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast