Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The rebirth of the Nucleon TFR.....

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Whafe 
#1 ·
As mentioned last week, thought I might re build the TFR backup....

I took the needed components off of the Helius FR.... The fork, brakes and grabbed the seat post and saddle.... Pretty easy really, not many parts needed...

So she is running:

823 rear rim on a Nicolai GBoxx Specific Hub
DT 5.1 36 hole rim on a Hadley hub.
Fox 38 Talas
Magura Louise front and rear...
Sunline 65mm stem
Monkey Lite bars
Big Betty front and rear.....

Am looking forward to taking her out this coming weekend... It feels very much like the Helius FR when I took a put around the street.....

So should be some fun....

Check the weights out, not light compared to the Helius FR, but all good....

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't believe you haven't done this before. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the two compared.

I love my Nukey but it's not without it's faults. When I use normal gears on my other bikes I often have cause to complain when the gears skip or grind, but the Rohloff never skips a beat. However, I don't fancy a Rohloff in the back wheel.

#3 ·
Yes you are correct pimp mister..... silly of me really.... The geo and angles are the same as the FR, so it will not be hard to adapt so to speak.... Just the extra weight.....

Roll on Saturday

#4 ·
Nice to see it built up again whafe. It looks barely used.

I'd love to equip my Helius FR with a Rohloff but having experienced one on a friends Kona Stinky it put me right off the idea of having one located at the back wheel. Far too many compromises for me.

#9 ·
Yep, have to agree, roll on the weekend, want to play hard....

Big weight difference though compared to the FR. In saying that, in the past when riding this, it doesnt at all feel that heavy, the weight is in the middle, low slung, so feel really balanced....

Will let you all know how she goes, thanks for the comments.....

I do like how no one noticed anything in the back ground of the picture of the scale showing the weight.... LOL...

Cris, total addict

#14 ·
Wilhelm6 said:
What a badge is there on your steering tube?
Being a New Zealander, sheep are pretty synonomous with being a Kiwi, I have always been a blacksheep. ;)

I got my first Nicolai, which as it happens was the Nucleon TFR.... Got it from a shop called Blacksheep Cycles.... They built me the Sheep Headbadge, then when I bought a 2nd Nicolai, they built me the angry pirate sheep..... Have not been dealing with that company for some time now....

And thats the story of the head badge...:thumbsup:

#17 ·
cyril_88 said:
Great bike the TFR I see that the rebirth of mine give Some idea to you :thumbsup:

My pleasure to ride it is always the same :)
yes indeed Cyril, gave me an idea to give it a new life.. Was actually very quick to take few bits n bobs from the FR and move across.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Looks good but?

Whafe said:
Yep, have to agree, roll on the weekend, want to play hard....

Big weight difference though compared to the FR. In saying that, in the past when riding this, it doesnt at all feel that heavy, the weight is in the middle, low slung, so feel really balanced....

Will let you all know how she goes, thanks for the comments.....

I do like how no one noticed anything in the back ground of the picture of the scale showing the weight.... LOL...

Cris, total addict
What's up with the FR? BTW I have ridden THIS bike before and Whafe is completely right on when he said the weight of the bike is very well balanced..I know ALOT of people hate this statement but, it really rides alot lighter than the #'s on the scale would have you belive..Well played my friend, well played...............CF.

#19 ·
CRAZY FRED said:
What's up with the FR? BTW I have ridden THIS bike before and Whafe is completely right on when he said the weight of the bike is very well balanced..I know ALOT of people hate this statement but, it really rides alot lighter than the #'s on the scale would have you belive..Well played my friend, well played...............CF.
CF - The FR is having a little rest and will be back on duty shortly I would think, have to ride them both at present and share the love between them....

Roll on Saturday.... :thumbsup:

#21 ·
kroiterfee said:
really a great bike! but the weight is :eek:
Yes hear you on the weight. Not just saying this, but the weight is low slung lets say and really centered, so it rides way lighter than the actual weight...:thumbsup:

#23 ·
ozzybmx said:
Sweet build up Whafe ! I hope we get a few pics and ride report .

Yeah and definately right about the Kiwi's and their sheep :D :D :D
Steady ont he sheep mate, many English try to claim our sheep fetish....;) :D

#24 ·
Dam Magura brakes are easy to bleed, amazes me that people complain how hard they are to bleed.... Pffffttttttt.

So brakes bled, the TFR is ready to rock...

#26 ·
dipper said:
42lb!!! How heavy is that frame? I've just built a full on DH bike thats 38lb!
6.3 Kg with no shock..... She is not a light frame.... It is heavier than my ION ST.....

But the weight sits low, will tell you all tomorrow how it goes in this lighter form....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.