lazy piston
    Mar 2006

Which rear shock for me? (Vivid / Roco WC / Roco TST R) (X-post from Shocks and Susp)

Hey fellow Nicolai riders,

I've posted this question on the Shocks and Suspension board but I thought I'd repeat it here.

Iím currently riding a í07 Helius FR which I ordered with the most basic shock available, a Fox Van R. The shock is ok but I would like to try something more advanced, so to speak. Another reason for a new shock is that I want to try a longer eye-to-eye and longer stroke to achieve lower leverage ratios (my frame allows it).

However I am very limited in shock choices.
    First of all, a strong customer support and availability of spare parts are very important to me, and where Iím located this rules out anything from Manitou (literally no service), Fox (a single mechanic in the whole country and VERY mixed opinions on the quality of his work), Cane Creek or Avalanche or Stratos or 5th Element (no parts or service). Iím stuck with Rock Shox or Marzocchi.
    Second, Iím looking for a coil-over shock with as little platform damping as possible. I need it to be very plush over small and medium bumps and Iím willing to accept some bobbing if I have to. On the other hand, a decent bottom-out control is required, too. I donít go big at all , but when I do 3-ft. drops to flat (yeah I know, dropping to flat sucks, but still) I donít want my suspension to bottom out hard.
    Reliability is very important, too. I donít feel comfortable messing with my shocks at all and I donít like to waste weeks waiting for my shocks to be fixed at the shop.

What I ride could be best described as Ďtrailí but I spend 2 weeks in the mountains annually. I also ride in different weather conditions and in winter (down to -15 Celsius). I weigh around 75 kilos (166 pound) plus gear.

And another very important thing: by installing a longer shock I will get a very low leverage ratio, about 1:2.2 (70 mm stroke with about 156 mm of actual rear wheel travel) and Iím worried that the new shock would feel overdamped (in compression and/or in rebound). Thereís no easy way to send the shock to Push or TTF so Iíll have to deal with a stock shock with no modifications.

All of the above limits my choice to 3 different shocks but I canít really decide which one is the best for me. Price doesnít matter since I can get either of them for about the same.

Iíll list the shocks and probably some of you folks could help me out.

Rock Shox Vivid 5.1
    Pros:
    + no air chambers
    + good range of adjustments, including separate ending stroke rebound and drop-stop to fine tune bottom out
    + will match my fork (RS Lyrik U-Turn)
    + made with durability in mind (as per the RS announcements)
    Cons:
    - me being a Guinea pig since itís a totally new shock and thereíre no in-depth reviews and no track record
    - proprietary oil (?)

Marzocchi Roco WC
    Pros:
    + already a year of production Ė a somehow tested shock
    + reviews saying itís real plush
    + easier to work on than competition (?)
    + will match my fork if I swap it for Marz 55 ETA
    Cons:
    - bottom out control via air chamber
    - heavy (though I might swap the spring for a Fox one or even go with titanium)

Marzocchi Roco TST R
    Pros:
    + already a year of production Ė a somehow tested shock
    + more suited for my type of riding (TST adjustment)
    + will match my fork if I swap it for Marz 55 ETA
    Cons:
    - bottom out control via air chamber
    - heavy (though I might swap the spring for a Fox one or even go with titanium)
    - TST cartridge less reliable than WC (?)

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Found out there's no Roco TST R in 222x70 for 2008, so it boils down to Roco RC WC vs. Vivid 5.1.

"Its All Good"
    Smithy - Tend to agree with your thoughts, the Vivid sounds like it is going to be a gem, but have not really read any real time reviews. The Marz Rocco has a year under its belt now, with great reviews.

I hear the maintenance is able to be done yourself, this is a big plus for you.

I tend to err on the Roco side, unless you wish to try out the Vivid for the boys.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Yeah Whafe, thanks for your input.

I hate the idea of being a Guinea pig which drives me off the Vivid but I know that if I go with the Roco I will want my fork to match my shock and I will end up ordering the 55 ETA which is so nice looking and all black.

Indeed I've had my share or troubles with the Lyrik (sloppy bushings, U-Turn creeping down, creaks) but that doesn't mean the all-new 55 will be problem free...

Oh, the choices...