mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Really need help with what to do about my Nicolai Ion

OK so here's my current set up:
    Nicolai Ion ST - a world cup level downhill bike, only bought in August last year and hardly ridden. Built up to the nines with the best kit.
    Specialized 2005 Enduro - 137mm of travel, built as light as I can get it but the frame is now four years old although it's been resprayed about a year ago.

Now I love both, but I really love the Nicolai because of quality, finish etc. Until Jan this year I was riding 70% DH 30% trails but now I have a kid on the way and frankly the financial situation this year has been pants so expensive trips to Wales to ride DH have been canned. I've got my trail Mojo back though and have been loving riding the Spesh around my local trails, which are the quintessential British 'woods' type riding. Lots of loamy bermed single track, roots but not much rock.

Here's my quandary - I can't see me riding the DH bike all that much, if at all, over the next three years or possibly more but I really pine for it. I love the Spesh dearly and it rides like freaking speed daemon, but part of me really wants it to be a Nicolai (which is completely irrational I know). If I could put a CCDB on the Spesh, I could happily run one bike for the occasional DH trip and still really enjoy riding it around the north downs, but the shock dimensions in its current guise are 8.5" by 2.25", and no one makes a coil shock in that configuration.

So, I was thinking, break the DH bike down, sell everything off, probably loosing 50% on the frame as they're not exactly well known enough to command a better second hand price. Sell the Spesh and with the proceeds, buy a completely custom Nicolai all mountain bike that I can use for everything.

In doing that, I would probably only come out with £500 in my pocket but the benefits would be a bike I can own and love forever and I wouldn't have a DH bike sat in my garage that I pine for every time I go out there.

Help! This is all sounding ridiculous.

P.S. If anyone wants to make a sensible offer on the Ion or maybe even swap it for a Helius AM, let me know - Derek do you still have your AM?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It does not sound rediculous, what about an fr if you want to do an occasional dh session amd just have two pairs of wheels?

Fat & Single
    geetee , i had a 2008 spech enduro 150mm , i bought an AM , the guy who i sold my enduro to is now a riding mate , we swapped the last ride , me on my old enduro and him on my AM .... UNBELIEVABLE !!!! it was so much of a difference that i was speechless (and thats a first for me) .... UNREAL .... how did it think that bike was good !!

The Nicolai is in a different league ...hands down.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I traded in my AM for my FR with Dipper, but give him a shout as he's getting into downhill gravity stuff and might be interested esp. since its a large frame!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Also BOS would make you a shock any size you want i believe!

Fat & Single
    If you can get your hands on an AM from someone who wants a DH bike , go for it . Best move ever.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Derek - already spoken to Dipper and a deal is in the offing. The key question now is whether to go for your old AM or the FR. And then there is the CCDB option.

'All over it!'
    I didn't know dipper did 'trade ins'? Does he only deal with full rigs or does he do frames also?

I duno what his policy is but i buy everything from Dipper, then he gets it back half price a few months later hehe

Nah seriously best bet is to have a chat with Dipper - biggest problem is if your trading in you'll get a little bit less than you'll prob. want as he has to justify potentially sitting on it for months and months unless there's someone interested then i think you could expect a nicer trade-in.

I think we need a parkers guide for Nicolai frames

Gee: They are both awesome frames and both in EXCELLENT condition so its win/win for you; Just need to decide what you want, they both pedal great just the AM steers a bit faster but the FR is far more stable on the bigger stuff. I dont notice much difference pedaling the FR over my AM. Pitty ur ION wasnt a small or maybe even medium i would have considered it! If i was you i'd go for the FR as everyone knows they are faster!

How could you live without this gusset:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by derekr; 05-15-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Mmmmm so the CCDB is for sale, you better be quick then

'All over it!'
    I may have to have a chat with our Mr Dipper at some point.....

steep fast and loose :)
    Geetee - go for the FR and 2 sets of wheels.
    the FR has the option of a 180mm fork too, as well as a 36 without upsetting the geom.
    the FR at Dippers is un-molested [non-custom] and gives full rear travel.
    comparing to the AM, the difference is the lack of singletrack finesse. but it's adaptability is unbeaten.
    unless you want the AM for 130/140/150/167mm rear travel options ?
    i did, hence the AM purchase. however, derek's right in that pedalling differences between the AM and FR are difficult to distinguish.

concluding, i'd go for Dipper's FR.

and it's ano black - the right colour.

"Its All Good"
    Hard situation G Tee.... But for sure I would go for an FR, for the same reasons mentioned above......Far more adaptable a frame for different situations.....

Dont envy the decision you need to make...... Hence why I have 4 Nicolai's in my shed, cant part with one......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so at the risk of sounding stoopid what are you doing with the Ion frame now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not a stupid question but I spent Saturday riding with a bunch of mates and they all largely said I'd be an idiot to get rid of the Ion.
    I've got the option of making a straight swap of the Ion for either the FR or AM but ultimately, having ridden both, deep down I know that I would want a frame with custom geometry. I guess the ideal set up would be my existing Spesh and a custom Helius FR, basically built with the same geometry as the Ion but a BB that was three quarters of an inch lower than the standard FR. That way I could get to ride the Helius on my very short local DH tracks, for which the Ion is completely overkill, as well as being able to run anything that the larger UK DH tracks offer and the Alps.
    The problem is the cost; I would have to put my hand in my pocket for about £1000.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ok, if you do decide to out the Ion frame then let me know, I hope to be in the market for a trade up from my UFO within the next 4 or 5 months.

steep fast and loose :)
    geetee - seriously, the FR can cope with NE Scotlands DH courses (@180mm front travel), albeit less controllable than the ION, therefore why worry about it when you're so far Darn Sarth ?

Members who have read this thread: 0