mtbr member
    May 2006

The Real Fact About The Top Hole On The AM

Guys just heard back from Nicolai the AM will take both a air and coil shock.

If you use a 50mm air shock on top it will give you about 138mm of travel.

If you use a 57mm coil you will get about 157 which is less then i was told at the beginnig.

That is all i know for sure right now more will come but you can use a coil shock on top hole.

wyrd bi ful rd
    does that mean that when you order a frame with the recommended air shock, it will be a 50mm stroke instead of a 57mm. just curious why nicolai have come up with the spec for the 50mm air shock.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chinaman most air shocks are 50mm stroke except DHX5.0 so i would say yes. I just wanted to clear up the top hole debate that it was for a air shock only.

wyrd bi ful rd
    the thing is ... the rock shox Monarch is what Nicolai recommends for the AM frame and that comes in a 57mm stroke ... which i naturally thought will be what Nicolai will fit the frame with ... most of the pics of the AM frame so far has been fitted with the monarch ... excl the one that was delivered to the UK dealer ...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    then the bike will get 157mm of travel i think they where saying to me that the travel would be one thing at 50mm and another at 57mm because i asked about coil rear shock and top hole.

wyrd bi ful rd
    just needed to wait till the word comes out from nicolai i guess ... officially i mean ... so far it has all just been answers from queries ... but it is good to know that travel is 157mm which is still plenty anyway ... just under 6.2" ... cheers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't know what is taking them so long to come out with it. But that was the email that i got from karl at Nicolai

mtbr member
    wonder why mine was delivered with a 57mm coil and the top hole blanked of then? odd.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not sure but i got my answer from karl and vincent from Nicolai

wyrd bi ful rd
    hey dipper, i am sure you can remove the "blanked bolt" ... it is just like a screw where the threaded part has broken off ... isn't it?

I think they are sorting out the final issues of travel and options etcetc

it will be assumed that an owner of a frame will check for clearance at full compression, at the highest travel setting in this instance, as the only factor that Nicolai cannot control is the size of tires ... some manufacturer might just come up with a 2.4" absolute balloon and so there is a possibility it might hit the seat tube ... yes? though the frame is rated for up to 2.5" but we still have to check ... and i think Nicolai is just playing it safe

being a new frame, I am sure Nicolai wants to make sure that it does what it says on the 'tin' ... i am sure they were testing it to the day the first frame was delivered ... most of the photos of the test bikes, only have a 2 chainring set-up and so i am sure the frame can do a lot more than what they say it can do ...

if you just compare the weight of their frames with others in the same category, you can see that they are not the lightest around .... for a reason i am sure ... which we do not mind ... heavier frames ... bigger legs & lungs we need then ...

mtbr member
    Spoke to Nicolai UK today and they're going to investigate further as the info they have is different.

Anyway, I removed the spring and fitted the shock into the top hole. At full compression(inc bottom out bumper squashed flat) there's @ 5mm of clearance between tyre and seattube. thats with a mavic 819 and 2.25 nobby nic. I'll try my bigger wheels once I get the 12mm kit.

wyrd bi ful rd
    ouch ... 5mm with a 2.25" nobbys ... that is very very close ... too close for a 57mm stroke air shock then as that will come without a bumper?