mtbr member
    Feb 2009

A question of Forks

I get my new Helius CC frame in 4 weeks I've pretty much decided on the rest of the build kit - most of it coming from my older CC.

With new bars, stem, post and a different Crank Set - probably going 2x9 with 22-36 up front.

But it's the forks that are baffling me, I can't make my mind up on what to get, whether to go for a set of 140mm forks or get something adjustable, or to get some 140's and drop them to 130.

I really would like a bolt thru front of some description, either Maxlite or QR15, not fussed as I've got Hope Wheels, and something air sprung to keep the weight down. Got to try and keep sensible on price too, so 400 is the max budget.

Any clues?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im also waiting on my CC frame the reason I decided on it was the adjustability/flexability it brought. Im swapping build kit from a previous bike so have some Rev U turns 120 - 150 with maxle light, so will adjust between 120 - 140 with them.

I see the frame as two bikes in one - so local loops nice and snappy at 120 front and rear. Or possibly 100 rear 120 front. Bigger days out Lakes Scotland etc 130 rear 140 front .

I suppose it depends on your riding but I think some sort of adjustable travel fork opens up the full potential of the frame.

Cant wait for the frame now.......................

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The few people I know with adjustable forks tends not to use the function, so they have effectively paid extra for something they don't use, I'd say go with a decent set of fixed forks and then set and forget

steep fast and loose :)
    @wpuk - the beauty of a travel adjustable fork fitted to a travel adjustable nicolai is as said above - variation of bike capability.

"El Whatever"
    If the terrain and use call for it, then get the adjustable. If you plan on racing, you want something shorter in travel I think. If it's just trail riding, get the adjustable if the inclines at your places are steep. An adjustable fork in a place with tame elevation changes is not very sensible.

Or you can go with any single chamber air fork (Float, Solo Air, etc.) and adjust the travel when you need it without carrying any extra weight around.

It depends on what you want from the fork/bike.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Now the tricky descision of what to get?

mtbr member
    Hello Steve. Meant to get back to you about the Secktors but forgot; sorry ( I went for Secktors on mine but had them wond down from 150 to 140. I've been using them for a bit now and did the Strathpuffer on them last weekend. For me they are amazing, but I know a few friends who have had them fail and mine had to be sent back before they even made it onto the bike because they arrived bust. However since that hicup they have been the plushest forks I've used, really sweet. They got a good pounding at the weekend and just rode really well. The only thing I need to adjust a little is the rebound as I have it set a wee bit to springy but apart from that ace. I lock them out for climbs but had them open for some techy climbing and wow. Rock gardens too, wow and fast swooping descents - wow! For the price they are brilliant and I'm defo not going back to Fox now ;o)

Hope this helps?

Mugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mr Mugs, thanks for that.

My LBS has a set of RL's in and they'll do a good deal, so I may as well get them I thinks.

Getting excited now as I get my frame in 4 weeks

mtbr member
    Cool Steve

You will love the CC best bike by far. Oh I also have Recons on the other bike and now they are amazing. Best of luck and post pics

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    For me they are amazing, but I know a few friends who have had them fail and mine had to be sent back before they even made it onto the bike because they arrived bust.

Hope this helps?

Mugs
    Mugs, should I ask what did they failed of?

My Rev RLT Ti Dual Pos Air came with a bust FG knob. A damper is being sent my way, no hassles. I had to go through my "LBS", though.

In perspective, I wish I had gone with the Sektor Coil U-Turn. Heavier, but coil. Still lighter than my old Pike and 150mm which matches really nicely on the AC. Oh, and cheaper to boot.

The RL has the high end rebound and I had a Pike laying around to swap dampers and get the adjustable FG.

Now, if I could put a Sektor Coil spting in the Rev... but I need the spring, caps, rebound rod, etc.
    Check my Site

warp - tell me about the rev rlt ti's.

have you much ride time on them ?

thanks......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Its a replacement for my old geo one, can't wait.

I've got 2 weekends to build it and get it dialed in before the Whinlatter enduro

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    warp - tell me about the rev rlt ti's.

have you much ride time on them ?

thanks......
    No much ride time... just a couple little rides. I wouldn't even call them broke in.

They're much lighter and as stiff [at least] as the Pike they replaced. Small bump sensitivity is nice for an air fork, but these use the same seal-free system as Fox. There's only a wiper and a foam ring, so little stiction while clean but I'm not a fan of forks without a real seal.

As for damping, I haven't ridden them seriously enough to say. Rebound is nice and controlled, but that is to be expected from the Dual Flow Rebound (I had it on the Pike already).

The spring seems linear to me, but again, no serious riding yet. The travel adjust is nice. It has nearly no moving parts and it's funny how it simply works. When down in the 120mm travel, the fork is softer, compensating for the usual weight shift towards the arse side of the bike and preventing stalling on small rocks and such. You can still lock the mofo, though.

I'll update in a couple weeks, luckily. Sorry for not being of much help, bro.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Warp

Not intirely sure what cause the problem the they were topping out. Four sets arrived at the sametime and all had the same problem. They were all sent back, mine have continued to work fine but the other three have all failed again. Mine have also been ridden the hardest too!

If you want I can find out excatly what went wrong?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    If you want I can find out excatly what went wrong?
    Don't bother, man... I think I'll shell out for the parts and try the conversion. Sometime

Maybe RS forgot to install the negative spring in the damper? On the Sektor, the only thing preventing the fork to overextend is the negative spring on the rebound damper shaft. But I'm just doing armchair fail analysis
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Don't bother, man... I think I'll shell out for the parts and try the conversion. Sometime

Maybe RS forgot to install the negative spring in the damper? On the Sektor, the only thing preventing the fork to overextend is the negative spring on the rebound damper shaft. But I'm just doing armchair fail analysis
    Cool but that sounds about right. Best of luck

warp - keep us updated - i'm being offered a pair of 2010 dual air teams + blackbox for my VF2.................................

not a RS fan, prefer Fox..............will demo anyway and see...............

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    warp - keep us updated - i'm being offered a pair of 2010 dual air teams + blackbox for my VF2.................................

not a RS fan, prefer Fox..............will demo anyway and see...............

Good trail forks the Revelations,I liked them,Blackbox damping is a good damping system,seems to like the rough stuff.

@norco - reliability ? tuneability ??

TIA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TLR,

They are very reliable,had no problems with mine.Didnt have them custom tuned or pushed,from what i heard the push tune on the lower ones makes them into a Blackbox damped cartridge,or very similar.
    Fit them,have a set up afternoon and forget the adjusters exist after that.
    The only thing i made sure on mine i did was a lower leg service,every few months.Used to flip the bike upside down an hour before i would ride to get the oil to where it should be.Not sure if it makes a difference,but it wont harm them.

my bikes are all stored upside down...

"El Whatever"
    @norco - reliability ? tuneability ??

TIA
    If they're anything like my Pike, reliability especially on a Dual Air should be bombproof (it barely has moving parts). I don't know of crowns creaking or anything.

Only know issues are the U-Turn clunking and on some units the damper sometimes leak into the lowers. The U-Turn has no other fix but getting a new U-Turn from RS but TFT and Push have a cure. The leak into the lowers is a simple o-ring replacement.

As for tuneability, the compression offers a wide range of adjustment but tuneability is limited. Furthermore, the BB damper is riveted, so it can not be further disassembled. Even Push only modifies the rebound unit. The rebound if they're Blackbox or Dual Flow Rebound is tuneable as it uses shims.

As for service, all instructions are in video on youtube and if you can change a tyre, chances are you can service a RS fork. They're dead simple to work on.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    All interesting reading, the last thing I want is a set of dodgy forks