Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    steep fast and loose :)

PSA : Helius Owners !

Helius owners running a factory supplied air shock.
    Please deflate your air shock and measure the stroke that the shock provides to the 'bump-stop'.
    In the top position of the linkage, I'd expect you should see 57mm.
    I'm only getting 50mm stroke out of my Monarch 4.2 shock in the highest mount hole position.

TIA

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Do i have to remind you size dosent matter ?

Is your shock not a 57mm stoke then? You just want that one with the bigger can

Are we heading to fochabers Sunday? Text me dude.

have you checked your stroke on the RP23 ?
    deflate the shock and measure the travel to the bump-stop - i bet it's only 50mm.
    foch's on, if you're driving ? ! ?

has no-one measured their stroke yet ?
    c'mon - we need feedback !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi TLR with a Monarch 50mm you are only getting 143mm rear travel!

Thats why I went for a DHX air with 57mm stroke, the RP23 can come 200 x 57mm as well though but I don't think the Monarch does. It says about it in the new Nicolai catologue.

no way - the monarch is offered as a bloody option with the AM and no mention of the stroke being only 50mm !!!!!!
    i was told that the stroke provided with my shock would be 57mm AND therfore offering full travel capability ! ? !

WTF ?

wyrd bi ful rd
    i am only using a 08 RP2 which is a 50mm stroke ...

my coil shock is definitely a 57mm and at full compression the stroke is definitely beyond 50mm, but am not able to compress the bumper to reach 57mm unless i remove the bumper to find out ... maybe it reaches 57mm whilst on a bike when i do a full drop off to flat ...

be interesting to find out if anyone has actually measured their 57mm stroke RP23 or whatever, to see if the stroke actually reaches 57mm ...

i have noticed that all shocks do not specify the stroke length anywhere on the shock ... at least not the 3 that i have owned ...

mine only reaches 50mm. no more.
    RS / SRAM do offer a 200mm i2i x 57mm stroke, but I've not been supplied with this as per the order request.
    i'm disappointed, but certain Nicolai UK will sort it out for me ASAP.

mtbr member
    'mine only reaches 50mm. no more.'

so Suzie told me. not sure what nicolai can do about it though

Distributor
    Generally 200mm air shocks have had a 50mm stroke and we have supplied those with CC and FR frames where air shocks have been specified for many years. There are now a number of 200x57 shocks.

Karl assures me that all of their Monarchs were 57mm stroke

(edited at 630pm 16/11/08)
    Last edited by nicolai-uk; 11-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    'mine only reaches 50mm. no more.'

so Suzie told me. not sure what nicolai can do about it though
    Jesus!

BUT im amazed Nicolai wouldnt pass that on to the guy paying 1600+ quid for the frame.

As far as i know i've got a 57mm stroke (7mm more than TLR LOL!) but its from mojo i think.

wyrd bi ful rd
    when i was getting my AM frame i wanted to get the Monarch shock knowing that they do have a 57mm stroke. checked with Nicolai to see what is the stroke length that they can supply with the frame and they confirmed 50mm and so i went without a shock as i have already got a RP2 at 50mm which works fine ... basically i did not need to use the additional 'propedal' that the RP23 offers ... climbs without bobbing with you on the seat with the shock in 'fully open' ...

assuming that the leverage ratio is about 1:2.8 ... 7mm difference equates to 20mm loss in travel? ... dont worry about it ...

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    when i was getting my AM frame i wanted to get the Monarch shock knowing that they do have a 57mm stroke. checked with Nicolai to see what is the stroke length that they can supply with the frame and they confirmed 50mm and so i went without a shock as i have already got a RP2 at 50mm which works fine ... basically i did not need to use the additional 'propedal' that the RP23 offers ... climbs without bobbing with you on the seat with the shock in 'fully open' ...

assuming that the leverage ratio is about 1:2.8 ... 7mm difference equates to 20mm loss in travel? ... dont worry about it ...
    Sorry i dont agree if some1 wanted a 140mm frame would they not have bought one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right I am off down to my work shop if the bike has not got a 57mm stroke like I requested then..........

Back in 5
    Last edited by Garry AM; 11-18-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Right I am off down to my work shop if the bike has not got a 57mm stroke like I requested then.......... Light blue touch paper and retire Nicolai UK

The phrases not fit for purpose, mis-sold and small claims court come to mind

To top it off I was all ready pi$****d off that it came with a 2008 shock not 09 but this could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Back in 5
    I love my nicolai but i have to agree, why would they hide such info when its obvious some engineering type like Simon would find out

Wonder how many people with air @ the rear know they have not got a 160mm frame!!!!

Tsk Tsk...

Gary let us know ASAP, how does a retard like myself check the stroke, do i just measure the shaft? why is the air required to be taken out to do that? Did that make sense?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It has 57mm stroke so what Nicolai UK said was incorrect they have been able to source 200 i2i 57mm stroke shocks but its a 2008 DHX Air 5.

Thank goodness for that I don't need stress like that on Sunday morning!

TLR have a word!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You let all of the air out of the main chamber, ALL any left and it'll stop before the end then jump up and down on it a bit! so it fully compresses then leave the little rubber ring where it ends up then pump the shock back up and measure from the rubber ring to the seal that pushed it there. Sorted.

Awesome thanks Mine should be fine as its from Mojo Hoodoo

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Right I am off down to my work shop if the bike has not got a 57mm stroke like I requested then.......... Light blue touch paper and retire Nicolai UK

To top it off I was all ready pi$****d off that it came with a 2008 shock not 09 but this could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Back in 5
    Unfortunately there is a very long lead time for OEM shocks and we can only supply what we have. Anyone who paid 2008 price for an AM, like yourself, got a very good deal so you did very nicely overall.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Simon Still - YGM

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

helius AM rear travel

Hi all

the helius AM needs 57mm of stroke to get full rear travel .

it is correct that the monach shock should have 57mm stroke to get full travel
    and if a bike has one with only 50mm stroke, then Rock shocks does a mistake
    at the delivery of shocks do Nicolai. We never ordered Monarch shocks with 50mm stroke.

how did you measured the shock travel ?

please proceed like this:

a) let all the air off the shock ( do not take it off the bike)
    b) let a second guy sit on the bike = a guy with 90kg of weight would be best
    = 200 pound of weight
    c) measure the eye to eye distance (center to center)

the result should be 200-57 = 143mm

It is impossible to compress to shock complete by hand in an unmounted
    situation. This might be the cause why you measured 50mm only.

If the shock is wrong in travel, we will send you a correct one free of charge
    = no problem !

best reg

Karlheinz Nicolai; www.nicolai.net

Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk
    Unfortunately there is a very long lead time for OEM shocks and we can only supply what we have. Anyone who paid 2008 price for an AM, like yourself, got a very good deal so you did very nicely overall.
    Its only a good deal if you get what you order dude! I'd rather pay more for what i want rather than what you think is a good deal and you have in stock

I would have been p1ssed with a 2008 shock since the 2009 fox kit is greatly improved.

Anyway i've no real gripes just the customer service seems poor after reading that thread re. the paint etc but hey great frames.

I sent an email recently and still have no reply

Cheers

Derek

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

sorry to Nicolai UK

additionally I need to say sorry to Nicolai UK (Mike and simon), because I have not supplied them with the correct informations reg. the shock within the helius AM frame in time while the model was launched.

best reg

Karl Nicolai

Thats more like the reply i would have expected, nice one Karl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast