Mark
    Apr 2008

Smile Prospective Heluis FR buyer..

Alright guys,

I'm at present looking to buy my first full susser (after a long and happy apprenticeship on my Identiti Mrhyde hardtail - due to financial constraints),

currently under consideration are:

Heluis FR
    Canfield Can Can
    Yeti ASX

After reading lots of peoples helpful posts on mtbr I have decided to go for the 2008 Nicolai Heluis FR.

Any recommendations / helpful hints on sizing (can't afford custom build) and frame spec before I order one?

I'm 5'11, 68kgs. I would say i'm pretty light on my bike and enjoy fast, tech, steep riding.

I am going to build it up to favour the downs rather than a full on AM set up.

Any info would be greatfully recieved.

Sorry I'm new to these forums and was not sure exactly where to post this..

cheers,

Mark
    Edinburgh
    Scotland

mtbr member
    5'11, 68kgs - medium will be spot on I think.

Wouldn't the Canfield the The ONE be a closer match to the FR - The Canfield bikes do look like impressive machines - but im not sure about their availability.

Lots of info on these boards here and a very friendly bunch over here at camp Nicolai. The new FR which can take a 180 fork makes for a great enduro DH bike. Thats how i have built mine and no complaints so far... really cuts a nice line in flight and pedals great too.

I would recommend the Maxle rear end as it adds very little weight but lots of stiffness.
    The 1.5 head tube is not really needed but it looks cool and i think that 1.5 will become the defacto size for freeride forks for the next few years. It does however give you less headset options currently. So there are + and - to going for that option.

Sound like just the sort of bike for ripping around Glentress

mtbr member
    I'd recomend a medium as well. I'm 6' and ride a large with 50mm stem but could get off with a medium also.

I went for QR rear and standard headtube as they were readily available at the time and i needed a demo. Back end is still very stiff but I'd probably go for a maxle next time. basically because i can't think of a reason not to!

you've probably read that the FR has been split in 2 now as well. With FR getting beefier and an AM capable of running 160mm forks.

You're welcome to demo our bike for a day/weekend if you're up this neck of the woods

Mark
    Apr 2008
    dipper -

Thanks for the info and offer to ride demo,

Where abouts are you?

mtbr member
    I've pm'd you mrhyde

I'm up north of aberdeen. Got some good trails up here if you fancy coming up(4 hour drive). I may even be down at GT in the next few weeks.

Mark
    Apr 2008
    Cheers Karve,

Ya, I've spoken to the boys at Canfield and there frames look really nice., I think they would ride pretty awesome. Availability is limited in the UK till June. However I'm favouring the Heluis, as it seems to be a well proven frame. Which gives me that bit more confidence when spending so much money.

Nicolai recommend 170mm fork limit - do you run more sag? or just leave it at full travel.

What is you build?

Fork, stem, etc

I want my bike to handle to the best of it's capabilities on DH track type terrian, as I will be doing regular DH races. I understand that the longer travel Heluis would be more suited to this, However I dont think I need or want that much travel.

If I can scrub together the fund I will def get an maxle., still very undecided about 1.5HT.

Thanks for your help -

mtbr member
    I'm not convinced about the merits of 1.5 either. It may become the standard in a few years but I'd imagine most fork companies will still be offering 1 1/8th for many years to come yet.

Sounds like the FR is definitely for you(as opposed to the AM). The nature of the rear suspension allows you to run a lot more sag than normal so a 170mm 66 would probably be ideal if you want a slacker front end