Mark
    Apr 2008

proposed build for Nicolai Heluis FR (mrhyde101)

Fit like people,

Here is my propsed build for a Heluis FR for you to examine and disect..

* stuff I already have

rider weight : 68kgs
    Height : 5 '11

Shock : DHX. 5 coil
    Coil : suggestions please Ti / steel?
    Fork : Marz. 66 / RS Totom
    Headset : Fett set (nicolai)
    Stem : Hope DH
    bars : Burgtec ride wide bars ( not sure about rise )
    *brakes : Formula Mega 180mm
    *Cranks : Saint 170mm
    Pedals : Straightline SC platform
    *Rear mech : Shadow meduim cage
    *Cassette : Sram
    *Chain : Sram PG991 cross step
    *Chain device&front ring : single ring 36t & Gamut P30 gaurd and chain device
    *Wheel set : Spank Subrosa rims on Hope pro II's, 20mm bolt through front & QR rear
    Tyres : I like my Maxxis Dual plys - wet screams, minion fronts, swampthings - 2.35/2.5
    Tubes : something light
    Seat post : not sure
    Saddle : something light / slim

Still undecided about 1.5HT and maxle rear ( my present rear hub is QR)

any comments will be greatfully recieved

The riding I will be doing : some DH on steep rooty and jumpy tracks and some races. Free ridy xc loops. Alps trips. I want the bike to be as much fun as possible and to help me improve my riding with the long term aim of getting in to DH racing semi seriously. I'm opting for the FR and not the ST because I need the versatility and rightly or wrongly i dont think I'll need the extra travel for the majority of my riding.

At present I ride an Identiti mrhyde hardtail (23' ett) with marz 130mm fork which I ride on all the above.

The Heluis will be my only bike for the next few years, except for my BMX

Mark

mtbr member
    your rear wheel can be converted to bolt thru if required

Mark
    Apr 2008
    Ah good point

easily done?

Drink...sleep
    Hi Mark,
    For the frame I would at least go with the Maxle, like dipper says, you can convert the Hope hub easily, and it gives you extra stiffness, which will be nice, looking at the riding you do. The 1.5HT is more of a style thing: it just looks better (I think), but I don't see it giving you any performance or weight advantage.

For the seatpost, get something long, as the seattube extends a long way above the top-tube. After buying and riding my Thomson Masterpiece, turns out I now need to get something longer than 35cm, as it doesn't clear the toptube/seattube intersection when extended to XC-height.

For the DHX coil: I'd go with steel to start out with and find the perfect springrate. You can always get Ti later, but they are very pricey for relatively little weight savings.

This bike and this build will be pretty heavy. I don't know how comfortable you are pedaling a 17-18 kg bike, which this will be, in the Alps? So keep that in mind as well when choosing parts.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhyde101
    Ah good point

easily done?
    Yes, you can buy a conversion kit. Just a couple of spacers and an axle.

"Its All Good"
    Good to see the proposed build...

As the boys mentioned, I would for sure go with a Maxle rear for sure.... Will stiffen things up hugely and give that added security of things, it is a hard one re the 1.5HS, I would still go with it if it could be swung, to me it seems stronger, no real proof, but it gives me a better feeling...

As Bozzz mentions, I would hold back on a Ti spring and put the money into lightening things as much as is possible....

It is not going to be heavy, but it will be getting up there for all day epics...

Keep us posted for sure.... Exciting....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    To my mind, there are some things to change :
    First : the nicolai headset is really too heavy for a bike, more than 500grams as compared to about 100g for a classic headset. Accros, CK and a few beand are making headset with 22mm as required for the nicolai warranty.
    The thomson x4 stem is really lighter than the hope DH, and really enough solid.
    For the fork, the totem air will be perfect for your riding, and really lighter than a 66.
    Believe me, even if you want to ride on DH, a lighter bike will really be funnier(?more funny?) !
    My ion st is now 19kgs, and for having tried a little bit an 18kgs one, you can really see the difference, it's easier to accelerate, to turn, to jump, etc...
    So maybe the only think you can choose is a totem coil instead of an air, but for thr other things, try to save some weight by choosing solid and light components.
    What's the weight of the subrosa rims ?
    Never enough singletracks !

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep..maxle all the way....

on the spring...as others said....I'd suggest you go with steel first, o that you can try a couple and figure exactly what weight spring your like/need...and then maybe spring (pun intended) for the Ti

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by samwell
    To my mind, there are some things to change :
    First : the nicolai headset is really too heavy for a bike, more than 500grams as compared to about 100g for a classic headset. Accros, CK and a few beand are making headset with 22mm as required for the nicolai warranty.
    That is a show stopper for sure, I never realised that the Nicolai Headset was that heavy, no go there bro..... CK, Cane Creek etc

The thomson x4 stem is really lighter than the hope DH, and really enough solid.
    I have caned a Thomson X4 Stem for years, only reason I didnt go with one on my Helius FR was the only 1.5 they made is a 50mm length, to short for me..

For the fork, the totem air will be perfect for your riding, and really lighter than a 66.
    Believe me, even if you want to ride on DH, a lighter bike will really be funnier(?more funny?) !
    My ion st is now 19kgs, and for having tried a little bit an 18kgs one, you can really see the difference, it's easier to accelerate, to turn, to jump, etc...
    So maybe the only think you can choose is a totem coil instead of an air, but for thr other things, try to save some weight by choosing solid and light components.
    I would look at an air fork for sure, you are not a heavy dude really. I have had a great run with my Totem 2 Step Air.. A no go at present for RS though....

What's the weight of the subrosa rims ?
    Have not heard of these nor know weights, when the weight gets up, the wheels is an area for sure to spend some dollars. Rolling mass reduction brings BIG benefits all round...

When Sam talks of a lighter bike, I experience this when am on my SS, it is 21 lbs, accelerates like it is on Steroids....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Those Subrosa rims are a tad under 600g.

Mark
    Apr 2008
    thanks for your thoughts people,

seems I may have to refine my build a bit.

Gravity is so annoying

Wheels wise they are a pretty light wheelset, I could convert them to tubeless which would save on rolling mass.

I'm going to go with the maxle.

Cheers for the heads up about the weight of the Fett Set. That ideas getting scrapped.

I can relate to performance gains of a light bike. I had a really heavy wheelset before my present one's and the difference in ride quality is monumental.

Which air forks should I consider?

"Its All Good"
    Tubeless for sure helps big time

I am running a Fox 36 Talas RC2 (08). I am loving it.... Could be worth a look at, or move up in travel to a RS Totem Air or a Marz 66 Air fork........... I hear some good stuff on the RS Lyrik too, but again, not 180mm travel....

Decisions decisions.... Wait till you have to choose a frame colour.....LOL

Mark
    Apr 2008
    Ya the 36's do look nice,

Nah, colour is easy - Signal yellow with pink decals - so you know who it is when I rip past you on the trail..

"Its All Good"
    Ya the 36's do look nice,

Nah, colour is easy - Signal yellow with pink decals - so you know who it is when I rip past you on the trail..

yeah baby, " he rode an itsy bitsy yellow pokodot FR " etc etc.....

The colour choice is hard, have had to do it a few times now on Nicolai's not easy..

The coil Fox 36 gets some great reviews too, not much if any extra weight...

mtbr member
    mrhyde101ur uk based right... pick up MBUK this month they review 15 Freeride forks ranging from the pike to the totem and 66

The 36 van came out top and I cant really argue with that its a great fork.. I rate my totem for big stuff but haven't got the small stuff dialed yet.. the coil version is amazing though. Im rating my bike on everything from singletrack to big drops. Ive just posted the spec over in the Nicolai Helius FR - Setup Database.

Mark
    Apr 2008
    thats a pretty mint bike you've got there karve., how gd are formula brakes!

Very similar set up to how i want mine with respect to fork, stem dimensions.

mtbr member
    Cool.. lots of details on the bring the bling thread..

Not convinced on the formulas so far.. Ive broken a bolt off of them and they need a bleed so I will hold my judgment until the importer gets its act together and gets me the kit i need. Watch this space. They have gotten superb reviews however.

Mark
    Apr 2008
    thought I would let you guys know I have decided to go for a Canfield Can can. Its been ordered and will be in my hands in approx 3 weeks. We will see in time if its the right decision.. I will post up my build and photo's when its finished.

Thanks for all your help and info

Mark

Drink...sleep
    thought I would let you guys know I have decided to go for a Canfield Can can. Its been ordered and will be in my hands in approx 3 weeks. We will see in time if its the right decision.. I will post up my build and photo's when its finished.

Thanks for all your help and info

Mark
    Oh man, big mistake! Still, have fun with it. At 3 weeks, at least it's a shorter wait time

mtbr member
    Let us know how you get on with that mrhyde101.

You did say that you would be doing quite abit of DH so why did you go for the lighter and shorter travel Can Can

With your riding I thought you might go for the one?

Mark
    Apr 2008
    Cool.
    First off, it was a hard decision to choose a frame. Only time will tell if I have chosen correctly.

Do you mean the 'one' or the 'can diggle'.
    I decided on the Can can for couple of reasons.

1. I fancied the beefier tube build compared to the 'one'
    2. I think i will like the feel of a smaller travel bike, coming from a BMX background + it will be good for jumpy manmade trails which are plentifull around here.
    3. the can can should be a bit more nimble in tight tree lined trails which I ride alot.

I dont refute the Diggle will def be the faster bike DH.. I also realise that essentially if I want to go fast down hill I have to buy a DH bike.

you pays your money you take your chance..