mtbr member
    Jun 2007

In the process of ordering my new Helius ST

Ok so in a few weeks when I get back to egypt I am going to order a new ST to replace my stolen fr (after summer will be getting a neww am to).

Some of you may remeber when I got my fr i had problems finding a spring to cope with my massive mass.

With kit I weigh close to 150kg (lost 20kg since i got my fr). If i run the st in the lowest travel setting it will lower the leverage ratio on the shock and I can get away with running a lighter spring then I would have to if I ran it at 200mm which means according to the tftuned spring calculator i'll be looking at a spring around the 800lb mark.

are my assumptions correct?

many thanks ian

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hopefully I managed to remove my incompetent query of the above before anybody read it!

Now I have reasoned a little better your theory sounds right Ian, therefore good idea less but smoother travel, nice one loosing 20kg by the way.

ps. It's all your fault.........I just spent a fortune on Penthouse flats; I had never heard of them until I saw your hubs when FR was in the shop!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    exactly, so the shock stroke stays the same, 2.5inchs for the st, while the travel will be 170mm or 7 inchs according to tftuned it would mean an 800lb spring would be ok, where as if i had it on the 8 inch setting the ratio would be higher and i would need a harder spring.

lol i only rode that bike for 3 weeks before it got knicked. which equates to about 1.6 grand a week lol. my new one won't be as pimp, tho i say that now.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Or Ian do pimp it but don't leave it in the back of a hatchback in the centre of Bristol!

I heard about it the day after and I really felt for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    lol, i didnt mean to it was outside my house in bath and i fell asleep on the sofa watching some rubbish tv and woke up again at 4 in the morning. i blame channel 4, i can't pimp it very much as its my final year at uni and wont be working much. so far looking at the spec

large or xl helius st, kawasaki green with red linkages, 1.5 inch head tube, 150mm rear end with a 12mm maxle.

totem solo airs
    bos rear shock (the red should match up nicely)
    red pro2 on 729s
    hope tech v2 brakes with vented rotors
    evolve dh finishing kit,
    saint rear mech and shifter
    sdg bell air saddle
    ultegra cassette
    and some type of chain device
    and i think thats about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sounds good Ian couple of things though I am looking at Vented V2 for the front so firstly can I have a go to see if I like them? Secondly, BOS rear shock, I ordered mine in November and can't wait for it to arrive.

Lastly did you have the 150 rear end on the FR? I find on my 135 AM that I occasionally catch the seat stay with my heel (size 10.5 feet) so I was really pleased that I didn't go for 150, I did go for 12mm bolt through and it is excellent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    your right about the size of the rear end. 135 for me then.... i eackon i will order my frame and shock mid february and the bike will be ready by the begining of august. it will be a long 6 months...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ian, that's going to be a great bike....as you know I am building one myself. Zero, just fitted RC3's to his...what's your take on Totem vs RC3? I am also fitting Totem Solo Airs on mine...did you consider coils? Are you going single or double? What headset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did not consider the rc3s, had a pair of dodge moz a while back and its put me of. I rode a pair of totems on a second hand yeti and they were super plush. will be going for the solo airs as i never use the dual air function on my revs and just want to keep it simple and i need air because i'm a fat bastard.

the headset will be a diablous headset included in the rf finishing kit. evelve dh bars, stem, seatpost, cranks. then a diablous headset and good n evil grips for 260