Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Press type release from Falco @ Nicolai re the AFR

Following the AM and the AC the new Helius line is getting a new sibling. Our latest baby has taken the name of the Helius AFR, it stands for All Freeride. The name is the destination: Bikepark playgrounds, trail hunting, gaps 'n steps, epic descents, spot hopping while dropping in where ever you want and always full throttle.
    The AFR provides 7 to 8 inches of poised rear wheel travel that is still rapid in acceleration due to the Horst-Link technology. With a 7 inch Totem that matches the frame perfectly, the head angle sits at 66,8. We've lowered the top tube while the seat-tube is offset and flattened. These are the ideal preconditions of a purebred fun-bike. A frame weight of under 8 pounds and a BB height of 0,9 inches over the wheel axles all match up. For the AFR we've added a Hammerschmidt adapter and 12 mm thru-axle as standard.
    Oops, almost forgot to thank our diligent test riders Elmar Keineke and Carlo Diekmann for their great help during the trial stage enabling us to start the production even before Eurobike. So, who is willing to order one now? Your AFR can be supplied directly after Eurobike.

attached photos showing Elmar Keineke's Helius AFR test-bike

high res product foto:

http://whyexfiles.dbap.de/Public/NIC...s/233R2150.jpg

pdf Attachment: Helius AFR frame geometry

Best regards, Falco
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    Interesting they went back to the longer seatstays.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

steep fast and loose :)
    yeah - the FR still runs on st.st bearings whereas the AM runs on fancy ceramic bearings and has a lean and more purposefull feel about it.
    they're right - time to accept newer technologies and move forward ....

chapeau to nicolai imo

banned
    Are the AM bearings full ceramic, or the hybrids?

That's going to cost at changing time...

steep fast and loose :)
    it's going to cost, but with any luck the ceramic will chew up the dirt and spit it back out again
    realistically, the ceramic -v- st.st. capex -v- opex argument should favour the ceramic......

mtbr member
    The thing with ceramic is that you don't have to change them ! The frame should be dead before the bearings !
    This new AFR lookssick, a perfect small-downhill bike !
    Never enough singletracks !

banned
    That's why I asked if the bearings were full ceramic or hybrid. The latter,under some circumstances, could have a shorter life than steel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Yea that makes interesting reading >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quashing the rumours

Nicolai have also released more pictures of their new Helius AC, which we showed you back in June see the lower half of the thumbnail gallery at the top of the page and quashed internet forum rumours regarding the demise of some older models. Here's what they had to say:

"Normally we don't drop models see the Lambda, for example. Since the Lambda's glory days, three generations of new Nicolai downhill frames have passed by, but we're still keeping it. I admit that compared to modern downhill frames the Lamda is a dinosaur. But some people do love dinosaurs, and from time to time we still receive a Lambda order. Then we take that old, dusty welding jig from the attic, build another Lambda and make a customer happy.

"The new Nicolai Helius generation will have a similar effect on the elder Helius models. With the release of the Helius AC, AM and AFR there will surely be increasingly less interest in the Helius CC, FR and ST. The new Helius generation is technically advanced, lighter; it comes with the new, lean design, new bearing technology, state-of-the-art geometry, new options, devices and extras.

"But there will still be riders preferring the old style; riders who don't care about weight so much, who want to do an epic ride on a bombproof enduro frame and race the same one down the track at a local downhill race. So, from time to time we will take the old dusty jigs from the attic again and weld two or three Helius FR or ST frames."

Cool!

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Interested in learning more about the new bearings... does anyone have any info?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I have a bit of a dilema, due to my problems with the FR (clearance) Nicolai have offered an AFR as a replacement but i'm worried its a bit too DH for me.

What do you all think? Bear in mind most of my riding is trail so maybe i'd be better with an AM with 1.5" HT / bolt thru etc?

Opinions appreciated please.

Derek
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

banned
    My personal feeling, off the cuff, is to go AFR. With a 1.5, one can tweak geo a good amount. At that point, you might be giving up some weight. Not saying the geo is the same, but the AFR might possibly be more versatile and will never leave you in the position wondering "what if?"

mtbr member
    if most of your riding is trail then go for the AM - the AFR is squarely aimed at the Chatel Winterburg Whistler crowd.

Think of it as Nicolai does the North Shore... im sure it pedals well but it wont be a nippy as the FR and that isnt very nippy to start with!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    AFR might possibly be more versatile and will never leave you in the position wondering "what if?"
    If you have any doubt about AM not being burly enough, then AFR does not look bad at all: about same weight as FR and the angles are not particularly slack (depending on fork and headset choice, of course).

People have been saying that some shocks are pretty wonderful on the AM, when using the shorter travel settings. Who knows: maybe the AFR is heaven, for agro trail riding, in the shorter travel settings...

banned
    That's exactly along the lines I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Who knows: maybe the AFR is heaven, for agro trail riding, in the shorter travel settings...
    Good point! Someones going to have fun finding out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    if most of your riding is trail then go for the AM - the AFR is squarely aimed at the Chatel Winterburg Whistler crowd.

Think of it as Nicolai does the North Shore... im sure it pedals well but it wont be a nippy as the FR and that isnt very nippy to start with!

Not if this pic is anything to go by. Definitely a DH/fun park bike rather than trail/FR bike like the current FR. Nice as it is it I don't see it as a viable replacement of the FR as it's not going to be as versatile.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman71
    Not if this pic is anything to go by. Definitely a DH/fun park bike rather than trail/FR bike like the current FR. Nice as it is it I don't see it as a viable replacement of the FR as it's not going to be as versatile.
    well as what posted in Bikeradar, Nicolai doesn't "replace" models, so one can still order an FR, if one so desires :-)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    I have a bit of a dilema, due to my problems with the FR (clearance) Nicolai have offered an AFR as a replacement but i'm worried its a bit too DH for me.

What do you all think? Bear in mind most of my riding is trail so maybe i'd be better with an AM with 1.5" HT / bolt thru etc?

Opinions appreciated please.

Derek
    Derek - Am sure the Nicolai team will build you an FR if you want one... For me it would depend on your terrain.... If I was to replace my FR, I would go for this AFR, but my FR is a play bike that does the odd all day epic.... If the AFR could be built to 35 lbs, of which I dont know if it could be sensibly, it will be a weapon........

But if your usual rides are 15 - 20 miles plus, guess the AM would be the weapon....

The AFR will be a solid staunch bike, be the bike to take to Whistler instead of an ION ST and a Helius FR.... You would be able to carve up the mountain runs and also do the rides outside of the park.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Yeah im unsure which way to go, my current spec is as per the attached pic and i dont really want totems altho i wouldnt mind if i had to goto a coil shock.

I paid for the full tailor and 1.5 HT etc so i could in theory get the exact geometry i want on either the AM or AFR but i'm just unsure.

Plus with the AM would be that everything including shock would transfer over without issue.

If i got the AFR i'd need a new shock due to the size and i dont know how it would work with a 36 float. I could get as per my current FR a 66.5deg head angle with 540 A2C running in the 160mm setting so the geometry would be very similar to the current FR but without the clearance problems.

I really would like to know if Nicolai are saying the AM is as capable as the current FR and the new AFR is more like the ST.

Any advice based on what i've posted? Also any idea's on a sweet colour that would go better with the red wheels? I thought maybe just white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    I really would like to know if Nicolai are saying the AM is as capable as the current FR and the new AFR is more like the ST.
    That's a really interesting question. Does anyone have weights of the three variations?

mtbr member
    ST = 4,0 kg - max travel 220
    Extreme Freeride means cliff and gap jumps with landings distant from the take-off - motocross style jumps most bikers would refuse. This is the stuff that we see performed by the freeride professionals. For such stunts a highly stable and reliable machine is required: enter the Helius ST. In terms of travel and robustness the Helius ST makes a capable downhiller but manoeuvrable enough to ride trails that don’t just point down. The Helius ST gives its enormous potential directly to the rider and encourages you to push your limits ever further. Whether a day at the bike-park, a downhill race or a short trail ride with the Helius ST it will be tremendous fun

AFR = (quoted as below 8lbs = say 3.4-3.6kg) - max travel 200
    The name is the destination: Bikepark playgrounds, trail hunting, gaps 'n steps, epic descents, spot hopping while dropping in where ever you want and always full throttle. The AFR provides 7 to 8 inches of poised rear wheel travel that is still rapid in acceleration due to the Horst-Link technology. With a 7 inch Totem that matches the frame perfectly, the head angle sits at 66,8

FR = 3,5 kg - max travel 167
    The Helius FR is virtually indestructible. It provides masses of travel and a plush suspension action. It is clearly aimed at the bike park and loves to play on the rough. Whether it is north-shore trails, big drops, gap jumps or fast downhills, the limitations of this bike are ultimately the limits of the rider. Nevertheless, the Helius FR is still light enough to pedal up the mountain when there is no uplift, or to ride between your favourite local spots, and still have energy left to session them.

AM = 3,1 kg - max travel 160
    all day epics spiced with a neat pinch of fun and action. An All-Mountain bike must not be too heavy, as it has to cope with any climb, and should be able to take anything that you can throw at it. That is exactly what the Helius AM is built for. It offers plush travel and a relaxed, upright, riding position which provides stability and allows you to push your limits further. It’s favorite spots are rooty alpine trails, jumps and steps, rock gardens and fast downhills. The Helius AM keeps keeps enough reserves of strength and travel without turning the ascents into torture.

I figure those are for a medium anno

I guess we should go with what Nic says they are for - A lot of overlap between the ST FR and AFR

Outside of the overlap there are some differences
    ST is the only one to mention racing
    AFR only mentions park
    FR is the only one to mention climbing

Of course this is all based on Nic's marketing pitch
    Last edited by Karve; 07-30-2009 at 04:33 AM.

yeah i must say i cant see why the AFR in the 160mm setting wont be every bit as versatile as the current FR? (Esp. if the geometry is setup for 540 A2C with 66.5 HA)

Explain to me why not?

banned
    With geo options, perhaps fine tuning the HA with a headset also, I don't see why it can't be as versatile. Personally, outside of geometry, the combo looks a lot like what I would want the FR to be.

Still, I'm baffled on why they went "backwards" and put the original swinglink position and longer stays.

Well prob. because the shorter stays cause clearance problems unless you run a short stroke shock (50mm instead of 57mm).

If the suspension action is anything like the AM then it'll work well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast