from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec

Listen! Powder coating an anodized frame?

Hi guys,

I'm seriously thinking about getting my frame colour changed but is it even possible to powder coat a frame after its been anodized? Its currently bronze anodized at the front and black at the rear, i fancy a white PC front and keep the black anodized back end. This has come about after seeing a freshly painted Turner 5 Pack at the weekend in those colours, looked bloody great. Bike looks a little different to the pics now, black pedals/seat/grips there was too much white before!

Is it possible?

Cheers

Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images

'All over it!'
    If you are in the UK which I think you are? Why not give Dave Windridge a call at www.windridge.co.uk this is where I am having my FR frame powdercoated in white.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's a frequently asked question on the German N-forum and if I remember correctly, that getting a anodized frame painted is possibly, the other way round it's not. The anodizing process takes of a little of the aluminium and would change (widen) all the threads, like head-tube and bottom-bracket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Best place for getting a frame resprayed in the UK is Argos - they do pretty much all of the work for bike shops and have as big a colour palette as Nicolai do, though not all of the colours are suitable for a mountain bike. They do have an ultra tough DH finish in white as well as black, grey and dark green though and most of the other colours are hard enough for MTBs when you speak to them they will advise you on which these are.

I had my Spesh Enduro done there in Pearlescent White with red graphics. Including the graphics and application of them to the frame, the total cost was in the region of 150.

www.argoscycles.com

ballbuster

MMmmmyeahhh, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    That's a frequently asked question on the German N-forum and if I remember correctly, that getting a anodized frame painted is possibly, the other way round it's not. The anodizing process takes of a little of the aluminium and would change (widen) all the threads, like head-tube and bottom-bracket.
    Anodizing takes like.... micrometers off. I mean, the tolerances are probably 100 times what the ano process removes. I mean, like a thick decorative ano (say on bike parts) takes like 1 micrometer off... which is what... 0.00005" ... thats 5 one hundred thousandths of an inch? I can't imagine that would effect anything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

steep fast and loose :)
    white forks on a white frame looks kak imo.
    better to stick with your metallic urine anodized and get back to black forks

mtbr member
    For what its worth, I like it as it is bro!

'All over it!'
    As do I!

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Agree'd guys, i'll leave it as is and the next one can be white next year maybe

steep fast and loose :)
    can you live with anodized urine that long ?