mtbr member

Possible new purchase...

Looking at replacing my 09 Reign, its starting to creak around the headset area and getting a bit tired.. Been very pleased with it
    But later in the year once it gets to 3 years old I'm looking for a new frame, bike is currently built fairly heavily at around the 34lb mark.
    Question is (got there eventually!) would I be better off with the Helius AM or AC? I'm looking for a slightly lighter build on the next bike and may forgo my Lyriks for something around the 140mm mark ... How tough is the AC, I'm a big lad and some of the terrain we ride in the Dark Peak (UK) is tough on bikes... AM build probably cheaper as I'd just keep the Lyriks... Hmm, have I just answered my own question!?
    Last edited by ratty2k; 05-09-2011 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ratty

I have an 08 XL ( 6ft plus rider) size CC for sale...complete bike or frame with CCDB. PM if interested and I will send you details/photos.

mtbr member
    Too big a frame for me fella, looking at medium sized versions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Ratty

Let's make it our job to bring you into the club eh! I know the Dark Peak well, being from south Manchester originally although I live down here in the 'sarf' now!

There's no doubt that the AC is tough enough for the terrain but the real question would is whether you would be happier on a bike that was stiffer given that you say you're a 'big lad'. What precisely does that mean, i.e. how much do you weigh?

For reference I'm 100kg give or take.

The Lyrik is a great fork, but it's not especially light, especially if it's a coil version. You could lose over 1lb in weight just by running a Fox 36 Float, although I personally prefer the damping of the Blackbox RS forks.

One option is to order an AC but have it built with an AM tubeset. Funnily enough this is the second time I've suggested this today. I think IanPinder (who is also a 'big chap') had exactly this bike built to order and it's something that I considered as well (also being a 'big chap'!) At that time the extra cost for speccing this was 100. I didn't go with it in the end as I felt I would sooner or later sell the DH bike and wanted to have a bike that could still give me enough travel for Alpine and UK DH courses, which the AM does.

If this was never going to be on the agenda, then I would now spec an AC with the AM tubes to give me the stiff and sturdy ride I would want, but with a more UK trail friendly set up.

I've actually ended up going an even more different route by adding adjusting the geometry of my AM using a different shock shuttle to drop the bike front (by virtue of a shorter fork) and rear (by virtue of shifting the shock forward quite a bit). So ultimately what I have now is an AC with AM tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 100kg and run a standard AC,Dont find it flexy at all,definetely stiffer than the Turner i had but this could be the 12mm rear on the AC
    Its and excellent trail bike and can take a bit of abuse.Dont think it would suit Lyriks,you would be better of on an AM.
    I run Bos Devilles on mine,the 140mm travel version,Its definetely enough travel for everywhere i have ridden on it.

mtbr member

Smile

Part of the reason for the choice is the fact I haven't seen one when out riding, Turner, Ellsworth, Giant, Cotic, Spesh... etc list goes on but never a Nicolai.
    I know they are great bikes, but as an old fart (41 and 115kg) I feel a 160mm travel bike is getting a bit much So a 140mm trail bike would be a spot on choice...
    But I think the AC is winning at the moment, purely on the fact I can just bung my existing (and very good!) coil Lyrik on it- cost of parts is getting a bit much these days and saving 600-700 on a fork would be nice.... So I can then spend it elsewhere on the bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ac is a very good bike,But unless you can drop the travel of the Lyriks,it will make it very slack and would void the warranty. 140mm or a 530mm A2C height

mtbr member
    The AC is very stiff for an xc frame. Stiffer than most compatible forks will be so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I've got the 29er version and even with the longer stays it's still rock solid.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

steep fast and loose :)
    I could sell you my AM.......

wyrd bi ful rd
    Difference in weight is 500g and the price of the fork going the other way ...

Good luck with what every you decide ... have you decided on the colours???

mtbr member
    Colour, ahh...
    My Reign is ano black. I do like it, but I have a Cotic BFe in bright blue which is brilliant. So, a brighter colour will be got.... Kinda liking the ano purple look.... with ano green bits....

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty2k
    Colour, ahh...
    My Reign is ano black. I do like it, but I have a Cotic BFe in bright blue which is brilliant. So, a brighter colour will be got.... Kinda liking the ano purple look.... with ano green bits....
    The colours offered are all very nice and when you get the mix right ... just look absolutely fabulous ...

Would be good if Nicolai has a software that allows you to choose the colours and actually see a bike with those colours on it ... maybe even specify the colours of your forks/seats/shock/rims and you can see how, possibly your bike will look like ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    - chinaman
    Not real software from Nicolai but you can make some colour combos:http://www.iscape.de/nicolai/index.php

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchdriver
    Not real software from Nicolai but you can make some colour combos:http://www.iscape.de/nicolai/index.php
    Cheers for that ... :thumbs: ... making me itch for another frame ...

mtbr member
    Woo, just been playing with that software thingy, defo ano purple with white rear end. green extra love and green decals... Mmmm!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty2k
    Woo, just been playing with that software thingy, defo ano purple with white rear end. green extra love and green decals... Mmmm!
    the easy part is out of the way ... and now back to AM or AC???

mtbr member
    LOL! I'm thinking AC. Did a ride yesterday that was pretty dull TBH (Loughrigg terrace in the Lakes) the original plan being to do Nan Bield but the weather wasn't much cop...
    A lighter bike would have been nice and would still have done Nan Bield if just at a slightly slower pace (slow ride anyway)
    I can swap the Lyrik over on my Cotic so the newer one is on that. Selling the Reign frame and the older Lyrik just keeping the running gear (mix of SLX, XT and X9 stuff with Hope Tech M4 brakes) will still give me a very capable bike thats a good bit lighter than my current setup. Will cost slightly more doing it that way, but I think the bike would be more suited to me!