mtbr member

plastics for poofs

Seems all these 'other' companies are making carbon bikes these days, now i know and am glad that Nicolai aren't going to (plastic is for posers and poofs anyway), but how about a AM pinion in titanium?! would that not be the next step?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How about the next step being a bit of tolerance to others? I'm thinking sexuality not your choice of frame material.

mtbr member
    Titanium is not really a step forward though is it? Not as light or as stiff
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    Titanium is not really a step forward though is it? Not as light or as stiff
    Titanium is actually STIFFER than Aluminum. It is heavier, though and in order to make a frame that is light enough you have to compromise in material amount and the result is typically a frame that is not as stiff.

Let's put things into perspective.

Case in point. Titanium Litespeeds are known to be noodles. Titanium Titus bikes were as stiff as their aluminum counterparts but yet, they weighed just as much. Or you could make it lighter than aluminum and have a flexy bike... so basically you were going to Titanium for extended fatigue life and ride "feel".

Oh, and bling of course because we Nicolai riders would be plain out hypocritical if we said we do not care about some bling factor.

Now, Titanium is stupid hard to manipulate. Its mechanical properties are insane. So tooling to shape it, cutting it, handling it is insane. It drives costs up on a material that is expensive to start with (but since when price is an issue in a 4K quid bike?)

Titanium is definitively a step forward of Aluminum. It just not as commercially viable and it requires more of a design effort.

If someone could properly design a bike out of Titanium that could drop some weight over the Aluminum, remain as stiff and make it cost competitive, then it would definitive be "the next step". It's not impossible, but it is very difficult.

That said, I don't see Nicolai going for Titanium either. They know aluminum very well and it works very well for them. They have always been kind of a niche manufacturer and I think they will remain as such. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Check my Site