mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pinion Gearbox first batch gear skipping issues

I just saw it from german forum:

mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=597428&page=3

and obviously due to Murphy's law mine SN is in the list... first ride is planned for this week end so I will have to monitor this behaviour closely.

Trax

steep fast and loose :)
    Surely SRAM xx1 eradicates all these gear box dangled applications ?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    Surely SRAM xx1 eradicates all these gear box dangled applications ?
    Nope... according to Murphy's Law, it will bring its own string of defects and failures, like pedal strikes and stuff.
    Check my Site

steep fast and loose :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Nope... according to Murphy's Law, it will bring its own string of defects and failures, like pedal strikes and stuff.
    Not many strikes on my AC 29er....stunning machine IMHO.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My Zerode in two years has had one barrel adjust on the cable, and two chain tensions. That's with an Alfine 8 speed, Pinion should offer lots more for All MTN bikes. and I can shift in ten times more spots on your average DH track.
    I can't wait to get a Pinion bike, and just ride, and ride.
    Traxsonic, keep us informed as to how it is and what happens.
    Last edited by No Skid Marks; 10-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So the first drive report... 30km today. Overall this Pinion is stunning thing. Buttery smooth gear change, even under moderate load

I've already a Rolhoff on our tandem, it doesn't permit much power input during gear change otherwise it lock the gear in current position until the load is lowered.

The Pinion just passing the gear, I'm offloading from pedals just for 1/2 sec as precaution but when in difficult situation and I don't have time/reflex to do it, I found that it just change the gear without any noise / issues.

The ratios range is very wide and perfect for AM applications, the bike is very neutral in the air and very predictable and stable.

I'm very impressed with this piece of german craftsmanship, the issue which was described on mtb-news.de forums is not seen, at least yet.

I'll keep eye on it and see if there is anything wrong and will get in touch with Pinion accordingly.

I'm seriously considering now to get Argon CC with Pinion and Gates carbon drive for my new commuter

I'll add more impressions after few more rides.

Cheers,

/Trax

"Its All Good"
    Thanks for sharing these points, been waiting to hear some thoughts on the Pinion...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I think this will work itself out to a good conclusion. I am impressed with where the gearbox technology is going and with weights continuing to drop I am very very interested in one.

Nfa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My pinion skips also has a odd click when I rest and then start peddling again. Sucks I just got it and now I don't know what to do.

mtbr member
    Mine doesn't seem to skip but it does have that little click feeling when I stop and start pedaling again too.

Mine will not shift to an easier gear under any sort of load, even if i'm not pedaling for a bit after letting the pressure off the pedals. I'm hoping it's a set up issue but everything seems okay after following the installation guide.

Distributor
    I've done a fair few long days out on mine now. The pick up/freewheel does clunk in sometimes and very occasionally misses a beat - Pinion told me this is nothing to worry about and won't damage the box.

I think part of the reason it can sound a little odd sometimes is that you've actually got two freewheels to kick in. Are you sure it's the Pinion you're hearing and not the rear hub?

Compared to the Rohloff the Pinion has a far greater variety of whirring and clicking sounds in various gears. A bit odd. Overall it's very quiet to ride. No chainslap, shifts are silent. I've yet to dump the chain using the Pinion tensioner.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    It's definitely the gearbox, not the rear hub. I can feel it. I figured it was just part of the system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    It's definitely the gearbox, not the rear hub. I can feel it. I figured it was just part of the system.
    Generally the P1:18 will naturally make some new noises that we are not used to. My take is as long as it doesnt skip or slip then the it's fully functional.

I was a recipient of one of the earlier models that had gears slipping and skipping and it was very obvious that something was wrong. It is important to note that the clicking will occur in both the 6th and 12th gears (an unavoidable by product of the internals of the gearbox according to the owners manual). Pinion was proactive after a few months of emailing exchanges to confirm that I trully had a faulty gearbox...I didn't mind this length of time as I felt that I was helping them out work out some issues by providing ride reports and the sort - I hoped that my input would result in some good field results that they could carry forward into future product development.

In the end, Pinion sent me a brand new gearbox with new cranks. The new gearbox does not skip at all, it only clicks in the 7th gear and I can notice a significant increase in performance/efficiency.

I still would have preferred the faulty gearbox to a traditional drivetrain system. But, with how much money we spend on these shiny new parts, the gearbox should run flawlessly, so do not be afraid to reach out to them.

Bottomline, I love my Helius w/ P1:18...it is trully a engineering feat and I couldnt be happier. It really isn't a significant weight penalty for an All mtn / Enduro bike as those things usually run anywhere up to 35lbs (weighs no more than my previous ride: a 9speed 2008 Specialized SX Trail).

Frankly, I am surprised this new development doesnt get more hype....for me its a game changer...I no longer mind maintaining my drivetrain (just have to wash the chain)...