Thread: Pinion AC 26

Distributor

Pinion AC 26

After a fair bit of procrastination I've finally built my Pinion AC.

The first rule of internal gearing holds true for Pinion - you *will* cut the cable wrong at least once (and of course the Pinion needs a 3m cable so not one I have a spare for).

Not a massive problem as despite a handful of brake adaptors nothing in the box would fit either the front or rear caliper on the Magura MT8s. Bonus is that Clarks do adaptors in red ano (and other colours) at a bargain price so it gets an extra bit of pimping into the bargain.

Missing pedals and discs at the moment but weighing in at 14.7kg/ 32lbs.

Pinion AC 26-img_1224.jpgPinion AC 26-img_1220.jpgPinion AC 26-img_1217.jpgPinion AC 26-img_1216.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pinion AC 26-img_1219.jpg  

Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Very nice. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. It'll have a very similar build to yours as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looking very nice Simon.

Refitting a new cable is fun...I might have made a mistake when 1st fitting mine.

Distributor
    First spin on it today so these are very much early first impressions. On road only - I usually try to do a good few miles on the road to ensure everythings OK before putting a bike under proper test (easier to pick up rattles/creaks/leaks before you get it filthy.

Cabling the Pinion shifter was a real pain. Took 4 hands, could have done with five but now it's done shouldn't have to touch it for some time.

Weight balance is very good - it's spot on the centre of the bike. Back end noticably lighter than conventional gearing (and definitely a contrast to Rohloff). Bike feels 'light' to ride though slightly odd through the corners at the moment. Full sus always feels **** on road though so needs an off road test to get a proper feel for it. Angles and BB are slightly different to my older AC and might not be set up perfectly yet.

Shifting is easy. Better if you back off but I'm used to that from the Rohloff and you can change up when accelerating without backing off at all. Manual says you must back off between a few of the gear pairs which is a bit useless - I never know what gear i'm in when riding unless I'm at the limits.

Gears are noisy at the moment - theres a ticking/whirring when pedalling. Rohloffs take a good while to run in and I suspect this will be the same though I don't have the option of sticking it on a commute bike for six months which i've always done with new 'hoffs. Strangest thing is the clunk as the two freewheels catch (one on the rear wheel, one on the 'box). Pick up isn't instant and is a little unpredictable even with the Mavic ITS4 hub - this could be the most annoying thing about it though I could still trackstand so will probably be managable.

Magura brakes need running in which I'm not used to. Shortened the hoses last night and have a bit of a leak from the lever so suspect I'm going to need to bleed them after all.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Really nice Simon ! I've juste received my Ion18 pinion, and because of you I am now worried on the cabling of the pinion :-) I guess I will see how it turns...
    Never enough singletracks !

Distributor
    The instructions are mostly clear. There's a white plastic part mounted to the gearbox which isn't mentioned in the instructions. It is marked 'removed after fitting shifter' but I cut both cables before I read that you needed to move the shifter 8 gears after anchoring the first end. fitting a completely new cable you really need someone to assist.

I'd recommend ordering a few 3m tandem gear cables now - you're going to need them at some point so no benefit in waiting until you do.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk View Post
    The instructions are mostly clear. There's a white plastic part mounted to the gearbox which isn't mentioned in the instructions. It is marked 'removed after fitting shifter' but I cut both cables before I read that you needed to move the shifter 8 gears after anchoring the first end. fitting a completely new cable you really need someone to assist.

I'd recommend ordering a few 3m tandem gear cables now - you're going to need them at some point so no benefit in waiting until you do.
    Was a piece of paper in with the gearbox instructions explaining about the Plastic cable holder.

I had to change my cable as it was Kinked in the box when it arrived.

I used a Tandem gear cable on mine.

Once you have it wrapped around the gearbox end reel its fine

Distributor
    Ah - piece of paper must have got tidied after unpacking. What did it say?

I found that even once wrapped around the end reel it was prone to unwinding and when I rotated the shifter the reel worked its way off (hence needed someone to hold it in place). Instructions say to add a sharp bend to the cable on the reel but the original cable had been slightly damaged at the factory where they'd done that - I didn't want to create a weak point there (it looks like the place where the cable will eventually fail) so was a bit more careful.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Was there a break in period for changing to lower gears?

I'm finding I have to have almost no pressure or stop pedalling to change to and easier gear. the shifter just will not rotate under load and I'm not too keen on just twisting it hard. Down shifting isn't an issue and I think the set up is okay.

Distributor
    I think it's similar to a Rohloff in that you do have to ease off the pressure to change down. This becomes pretty much instinctive after a while - it's not something I even think about now. Moreover, that you can change while not pedalling is often actually really useful - change down as you come out of a corner, knowing your exit speed, before you start pedalling for example (rather than on conventional gears having to try to guess before you enter the section.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    I get all the gears without pedaling and when just cruising along. Under load though, it's difficult to get it right. I know it'll take some time but I'm hoping it'll wear in or be an adjustment issue. Maybe I should try forcing it every now and then? Most of the time after applying a load where it won't shift, if I stop pedaling it still won't shift. As if the gears are stuck. Sometimes I can quickly shift int a harder gear and then quickly into two or three easier gars, sometimes not. Bearing in mind I only have about 30km on it so far so I know it'll take a little getting used to.

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I get all the gears without pedaling and when just cruising along. Under load though, it's difficult to get it right. I know it'll take some time but I'm hoping it'll wear in or be an adjustment issue. Maybe I should try forcing it every now and then? Most of the time after applying a load where it won't shift, if I stop pedaling it still won't shift. As if the gears are stuck. Sometimes I can quickly shift int a harder gear and then quickly into two or three easier gars, sometimes not. Bearing in mind I only have about 30km on it so far so I know it'll take a little getting used to.
    Have you read the manual? It does say not to force it under load, particularly in two gears.

I was out on mine for 7 hours today. It seems to shift down under light load but definitely won't standing up with weight on the pedals. However, I've been riding Rohloff so long I think i just automatically compensate - even on a hill at the real limit of what you can ride it's possible to ease off enough to drop a gear with practice.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Have you read the manual? It does say not to force it under load, particularly in two gears.

I was out on mine for 7 hours today. It seems to shift down under light load but definitely won't standing up with weight on the pedals. However, I've been riding Rohloff so long I think i just automatically compensate - even on a hill at the real limit of what you can ride it's possible to ease off enough to drop a gear with practice.
    What manual? Just kidding, I've read it. I was hoping for some real world feedback is all. The limited reviews don't seem to accurately describe how light a load it will actually downshift under. I'm sure I'll get used to it. This is one of the few bikes I've bought over the past few years that I really want to like. Others I've just thought I'd sell it on and buy something else if I didn't like them. I'll keep riding it and getting used to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I agree with ordering a few extra tandem cables...the installation of the cable is extremely difficult and finicky especially if you are doing this by yourself.

Don't be surprised if one ruins (1) cable before you get it right...It'd be really helpful if you get your wife or kid to be around and help hold wires, cranks in tension while you tighten with the allen wrench....

**comment edit // btw - that is a beautiful machine you have there sir