mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Permission has been given...

It's my 40th this year and now I realise the Porsche is not going to happen, the Mrs has agreed that a bespoke Nic' is a good 2nd option.

I already have a Helius ST, which due to a big change of plans is pretty much unridden in anger (trail riding and local DH only), and is totally as new unmarked.

I also have an Orange Crush as my everyday bike, but which is breaking my back.

My idea is to somehow have a mythical "do it all" bike in the shape of something which will manage the mega, but will also excite me locally (not be too light, yet robust enough to take an Alpine battering). I've narrowed it down to an AM, with some geometry changes. Here are my concerns:

I like slack head angles <66 degree (around 64-65 is always nice for me). How will this affect the bb height?

I want it to be light enough for general trail riding (I tend to use air for trail and coil for Dh duties)

I want it to accomodate from 140mm to 160mm forks (I've already decided on 1.5" head tube).

Should I be looking am, or asking for a FR to be built?

Its pretty much an open book so ideas are welcome - the price limit is 2.1k

mtbr member
    The AM sounds like the right choice. can't see there being any advantage going to an FR. The AFR does all the FR can do and more and the AM is damn near as capable as the FR anyway.

Seeing as you've already decided on 1.5 HT then you could stick with standard HT angle and get an adjustable headset(as long as you don't mind running 1 1/8th forks. If you do go slacker on the HT then it's worth considering any other mods you may wish for as you'll be paying for full custom anyway.

might be worth getting the front beefed up a bit to take the new fox 36 180mm forks. they're still light but give you the option of different travel/HA. external adjust for the talas and internal for the float(i've got a set of the floats standing by to try on my AFR and an AM).

Hammerschmidt and 2 sets of wheels and the AM's as near to the holy grail of a 'do it all' bike as you could get(although will still be compromised at either end of the spectrum)

and you're right, 2100 was never going to get you a porsche!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sorry to butt in - Dipper, did you get my email about this weekend?

Mark - I've been running an FR for 2 years now but if I was going to build a new bike it would be pretty much as Dipper described. The FR has been fantastic but the AM/AFR combo has moved the game on a bit and as you already have the ST then the AM would be an ideal partner for it.

mtbr member
    It's my 40th this year and I've kind of done similar. The 45 lb Nucleon has been traded for a more trail worth 33 lb AM, and my 34 lb tough as nails Pike'd Balfa Minuteman hardtail was swapped for 120mm forked Whyte 19 Steel hardtail at 26 lb.

So far the Whyte is proving to be the weak link as it's not as capable as the Balfa... which is no surprise and if I'm riding those areas like that I should really be using the AM But... the Whyte is awesome for covering ground and has got me exploring again which is what I bought it for

The AM is astonishing. I'm running it with air front and rear which is a first for me... and so far I can see no downsides except the rear shock was a little hot at the bottom of a 1/2 hour 2000ft descent

I've also got a coil rear but have not tried it because I like the air HammerSchmidt is ace but it is a chunk of weight... but worth it I think.

Head angle and geometry stuff... I've had to slide the saddle right forward on the rails to keep the bike climbing well, not sure if this is due to excessive sag in the rear shock or because I am running 160mm Fox 36 Float forks which don't sag much on climbs. Descending is riddiculous. I have no idea if it's faster than the Nukey but it feels so much more fun because of the reduced weight. I find myself taking more playfull lines and working the bike in a way that I could not do with the Balfa or the Nukey... manualling through sections is so much easier than it used to be... this bike is a manualling machine... big thumbs up for the AM
    My Nukey was custom but I decided to try the AM stock. I think it only worth going custom if you really know what your after - no regrets so far and no changes to make

The Whyte on the other hand is no hardcore hardtail and requires to be finessed which is great fun, but not the quickest when the going goes steeply down. The Whyte is compromised but for what I am doing with the bike the AM is spot on.

I built the Nukey strong for Morzine etc but only managed one trip out there before the patter of tiny feet curtailed such selfish activities. The AM is the bike I should have had for the last 6 years... big wheels and a spare coil rear shock will certainly make it a bike for the alps. Hugely capable so the compromise will be tiny.
    Last edited by thepimpmessiah; 07-27-2010 at 05:57 AM.

mtbr member
    paul. YHM

TPM - i reckon it'll be the sag on the rear shock(even if you've set the static sag right). I had the same issue with the air shock on the AM with longer levers. the front went wandery on climbs but most noticable was cornering, where the front would stay high and the rear would wallow causing the bike to run wide. Generally the AM climbs very well with no wandering if set up right. The excess wallow is probably why it manuals so well also!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes, I'd forgot about the angled reducer cups. I see that alongside K9, Cane creek are going to be doing them, and are even going to squeeze it into a tapered design.

mtbr member
    tapered? really? didnt realise that!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Go AM as suggested....

Or what I would do is get Nicolai to build an AM 29er.... That would be my next Nicolai hands down...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    TPM - i reckon it'll be the sag on the rear shock(even if you've set the static sag right). I had the same issue with the air shock on the AM with longer levers. the front went wandery on climbs but most noticable was cornering, where the front would stay high and the rear would wallow causing the bike to run wide. Generally the AM climbs very well with no wandering if set up right. The excess wallow is probably why it manuals so well also!
    Yes - that's exactly my thoughts... but so far I'm not finding the rear sag much of a problem.... I actually quite like it I'll get round to trying the coil shock sometime but I'm enjoying it so much with the air I've had no reason to change at the moment.