22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clipless

10 45.45%
  • Flats

12 54.55%
    mtbr member
    May 2008

We the people ... Pedals and my AM

Im toying with the idea of trying flat pedals, ive been in clipless (never understood how they are refered to as clipless?) pedals for best part of 15 years

Basically 4 weeks into my first FS experience im finding im going a hell of a lot faster, especially on technical stuff, and am getting in situation where im wanting to plant my foot to tackle certain situations better but am reluctant due to then having to worry about getting my foot clipped back in, so i basically end up just getting on the breaks more.

What are you guys running on your AM rigs, ive read 5:10's are the way ahead with a good flat pedal?

mtbr member
    yeah, 5.10's and wellgo mg1, light and cheap on ebay ! I can't run with anything else that my 5.10's, even on marathon races !
    Never enough singletracks !

Im O'l Greggggg
    I say both!! now is that sitting on the fence or what!! I used to run and swear by my v12 mags, and have done for ages - but after suffering an Achilles problem recently that just wont go away i've had to resort to wearing spd's just to ride without a constant stabbing pain! they certainly slowed me down a bit on the corners to begin with but after a few falls you start to clip in and out pretty sharpish.

But its safe to say im not committed to either - with both being available im sure ill be back on the flats some day!

"Its All Good"
    Well for me it comes down to age, dare I say it.... I play around with flats, struggle a bit to start with... However did a week in Whistler with flats, then the next year did a week in clips...

For the vast majority of my riding, I prefer clips... So have more or less decided that at my age, am not getting enough practise to do the bigger jumps I do in flats.... Am sure none of that made any sense what so ever

Look at the jumps for example Samwell is doing in flats, he is young as. I just dont get the time to practise to do those jumps in flats... I can do far larger jumps and feel comfortable in clips....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Its clips for me nearly all the time now,Have ridden them for the last 15 years and now struggle on flats, I have used flats on my local hill in the winter,it gets very muddy and i find being able to dab my foot and quick offs are easier on flats.
    Hate riding xc/trail in flats.Dont like that not connected feel

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Horses for courses.

I'd probably describe myself as a flats rider but if I'm out just burning up XC, then I'm gonna ride clips. Jumping, DH, I'm a flats rider. It's good to have both skills.

5.10's and very thin, grippy pedals will be the easiest transition from clipless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    15 years riding spd's and just gone to flats..... Love em!

No negatives for me. Lots more confidence while jumping, doing drops and real rocky stuff etc.

Also comfier if pushing/walking

Good flats and a pair 5.10's a match made in heaven!

Real try it and see thing.

Good Luck

steep fast and loose :)
    both here dependant on what and where i'm riding.

mtbr member
    wpuk -SPD's are referred to as clipless because us oldies used to use toe clips and straps to hold our feet onto the pedals.
    I can't remember the last time I rode a bike without either SPD's or toe clips which I think stems from my roadie back ground. As soon as I got my first mountain bike I had clips & straps fitted and in 1991 or 92 I fitted Onza HO clipless pedals then progressed to SPD's so I feel really comfortable in them even on gnarly DH courses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    definitely flats, with a good set of flats I've not seen a need to do different

mtbr member
    kona wha wha on the dh bike and swap between flats an spds on FR depending on riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had been riding clipped in for years ,on & off road. Bought an AC this year & decided to try flat pedals with 5-10's & yes it definately gave me a bit more confidence to push my luck a bit.These look like nice pedalsCNC Nano Tech pdals 446g & 43 from www.Superstarcomponents.com. Not tried them myself but they are nice & thin , lots ot pins , not too much dosh & if you like them you can upgrade to a Ti axle.
    Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Jeff

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looking at the advice I think the way things would end up is running both flats and clipless depending on which route for the day

Just need to decide whether to go cautious with the Wellgo's or push the boat out for something on the lighter end of the titanium spectrum

jfb the Ultra Mag CNC Pedals look pretty sweet

Cheers for all the advice peeps

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    (never understood how they are refered to as clipless?)

Because they were an alternative to using toe-clips when they were invented!

And I use both too. In fact I use both Shimano XTR SPDs and Crank Bros Candy clipless (depending on how much hold-in I want) and flats - either Burgtec or Crank Bros as I have found them the most durable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone got any time on these? Strong and sturdy enough or liable to disintergrate?

ULTRA Mag CNC Pedals - Magnesium Alloy (with Ti Axle)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=276

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    has to be the podiums... http://www.pointoneracing.com/podium/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ive ended up plumping for the Podiums, seems like a good balance between strength and weight, am pairing them up with 5:10 camp4's , hopefully both will arrive tomorrow so i can try them out on my Sunday run out

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Had a blast out with the pedals on Sunday, shoes didnt arrive though but didnt have any issues using them with trainers,

pretty happy with them, have had to redo me feet position, calfs were blowing initially and i kept clipping me heels on the rear triangle, need to have a longer blast out to give true perspective over the clipless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMmmm
    (never understood how they are refered to as clipless?)

Because they were an alternative to using toe-clips when they were invented!

And I use both too. In fact I use both Shimano XTR SPDs and Crank Bros Candy clipless (depending on how much hold-in I want) and flats - either Burgtec or Crank Bros as I have found them the most durable.

the words crank brothers and durable in the same sentence?? REALLY???????!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1helius
    has to be the podiums... http://www.pointoneracing.com/podium/
    129.99 for pedals??!!!! think id cry if i caught them on a rock!!