Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pair of new FR's

Just built 2 new FR's. The red is a large weighing in at 34lb with 36 Floats and Monarch shock. the black is a medium with CCDB and 888 ATA's and pushing 38lb

Both bikes are running fairly big wheelsets. red one has the new Hope SP AM's with 2.4 Big bettys on DT5.1 rims. The black has 823's, pro2's and UST BB's. Oddly, the 823's are the lighter wheelset! The AM's have the new heavier 4 bolt Moto V2 rotors while the pro2's are running floating V2 rotors. Still, I would have expected the AM wheelset to be a good bit lighter.

I've now ridden AM's and FR's in loads of guises/weights and my conclusion for the type of riding I do is that....they're all good They all pedal well, and all descend well. Jurys out at the moment on the merits of the CCDB. Despite raving about it months ago while I was still dialling it in I've now reached the limit of it's HSR and HSC adjustment and it's still not quite how I'd like it. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

mtbr member

Some blatent advertising up the top of Ben Aigen

The 888's suit the FR very well. They're adjustable between 160 and 200mm. 160 makes for a great trail bikes and helps climbing no end. The all round 'sweet spot' is definitely @ the 180 mark though. Bearing in mind these forks are quite short axle to crown. At 180mm they're still a good bit shorter than a 180mm Totem. 200mm for what I do is excessive (not to mention voiding the warranty!), it makes the front too tall and I struggle to get enough weight over the front wheel.

would certainly be happier if I could keep the current performance but get it down @ 35lb though. My mate's kicking my arse on the 34lb FR up the hills and still buzzing my rear tyre on the downs so I'm not gaining much extra performance with the burlier set up

mtbr member
    oh...and happy new year to you all!

Drink...sleep
    Good going Dipper (and a good new year to you too)! So you having ridden both the FR with a Fox Van and the 888 now, do you think the 888 suits the bike better with the extra travel up front?

I still have a couple of quid on my UK bank account and need to convert these into goods quickly before the Pound devaluates completely . Was thinking of getting a Totem to convert the bike to a more bikepark oriented machine, but I still would like to pedal it too, say to go up a hill in the Alps. But not sure now, seeing that the 888 at 200mm is about the same height as a Totem (567mm for the 888, 565mm for the Totem).

mtbr member
    Happy new year Daan. I've used 36 Floats, Vans, Totems and these 888's on FR's now.

the totems are nice and plush but the 888's give better support and allow the tyre to grip better mid corner. Weight is very similar at @ 6.5lb or so i believe. the adjustabilty of the 888's is a bonus as well as the totems did feel a fraction tall for climbing. I know the FR is only warrantied for 180mm but if the A>C is the same on the 2 forks i can't see there being an issue. I'll maybe check that with Nicolai to be sure.

I'm fairly sure I can still get these discounted from Windwave if you fancy a set? RRP is 900 but I'm sure I can do them for well under 600

Drink...sleep
    Thanks for the offer Richard, would consider it if they came in black. I'm afraid the white won't go too well with the rest of the bike, it being a different shade of white. Did you ride the Totem coil or air? I think the coil would be the only option for me, as it seems the air only comes in silver.

(no Rockshox in the shop yet?)

mtbr member
    good point. they would look a bit off!

They were Totem Coils that i took in as a px. I'm not stocking RS yet but I've put an application in to the importer so should get that sorted shortly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very nice, a new years treat.Can i have the black one please

mtbr member
    course you can.....for a fee

'All over it!'
    Dipper, do you have any full side on shots of the black FR with those DC? Would love to see the profile of the bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    course you can.....for a fee

Thanks mate.I will pay postage

steep fast and loose :)
    lorni - i did have the pleasure of seeing the FR on the Totem's and it looked very very functional and the geometry was blob on. the Totem's have an incredible plushness and if I were a FR owner, would opt for the Totems in pref to the DC's as the DC affects manoeuvrability on the trail. however, it obviously helps Dipper, as he was almost pulling away from me on my hardtail when he run's his DC's

'All over it!'
    I have just got a set of totems for my FR, just waiting on the frame being powdercoated. Hope to have it all built up by begining of February. I think the totems are going to be better than the Lyriks they replace, especially for my bulk.

I was just wondering because later in the year, I plan to purchase some coil boxxers that I can use on the FR for DH days until I can get the UFO ST that I plan to build up. I have seen a baby blue FR on this forum with Boxxers which look the business, although eventually I would need a longer travel frame as 167mm is not really enough for DH IMHO.

mtbr member
    lornibear
    i don't but i'll see what i can do. May be a few days as I'm not at home right now.

Simon
    Dream on!

dipper - you know it's the truth, but SO bad for your rep

mtbr member
    I have a rep?

I could beat you down the hill(and up) with a flat tyre and still have time to change the tube before you arrived!

Choose your weapon and put your money where your mouth is

'All over it!'
    Hey brave talk here, I like it! Simon, that would be great, many thanks.

lorni - he's richard, i'm simon

weapon - i'll take my Hummer - or my 456 Ti - and the Hummer has only a seatpost and headset fitted and I'll still win

'All over it!'
    I just realised that, the fingers are still pissed I think.

Drink...sleep
    So between all the b!tch slappin' going on here, any thoughts on the Totem coil vs the Van RC2 on the Helius FR? Worthwile upgrade if I'm going to use the bike for more bikepark type of riding?

mtbr member
    the slacker angles created with the Totem will certainly help on steeper/faster terrain. However, if you do a lot of climbing then some form of travel adjust would help IMO. It's probably no big deal, and I've never been one for travel adjust in the past, but I certainly prefer the 888's and their adjustabilty. Both the 888's and Totems are a good bit heavier which is fine for bike park stuff but maybe not so fine for trail riding.

If it was me and I was predominantly riding bike park stuff(which I'm not) then I'd definitely want to slacken the angles over the 36.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    the slacker angles created with the Totem will certainly help on steeper/faster terrain. However, if you do a lot of climbing then some form of travel adjust would help IMO. It's probably no big deal, and I've never been one for travel adjust in the past, but I certainly prefer the 888's and their adjustabilty. Both the 888's and Totems are a good bit heavier which is fine for bike park stuff but maybe not so fine for trail riding.

If it was me and I was predominantly riding bike park stuff(which I'm not) then I'd definitely want to slacken the angles over the 36.
    i'd agree with this myself

fwiw, yetiman manages NE Scottish based trail rides on his TOTEM equipped FR.

mtbr member
    lorni
    pics as promised.
    Showing full extension and minimum extension

Drink...sleep
    Yeah, have decided it has to be the Totem. Thanks for telling me what I wanted to hear . Richard, when do you expect the RS app to go through, sometime in the coming week?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My totems are not as good on trails/xc as my lyrics were.If you want them to sag at 25-30% like a trail fork they will bottom out on the bigger stuff even with the hsc set at max.If you put the harder spring in you lose the small bump response but gain big hit capability.I cant find the perfect combination.At the moment i am running the firm spring and i should be running the x-firm, so i can trail ride without needing wrist replacements after 10 miles.Check the seals aswell lots of them are not as good as they should be(ask tftuned) the seals need to have a upstanding lip on them and not a flat top as mine did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast