Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    good to hear Brian. fairly sure come the drier weather and faster/bigger trails you'll notice a bigger difference.

now put yer hand in yer pooch!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've asked Marcel to confirm if a HD fits in the rear of the produ ruin bike and on what rim, but based on their info I would say yes,
    But recommend a Maxxis HR 2.35😃
    The Conti RQ/TK black chilli in 2.4 comes out about now but I think it could be a monster. The 2.2 is pretty damn big.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    I like the 26" 2.4" Conti Rubber Queens I've been running for a few years (not the same ones natch!) so a 29er would be of interest; although the 26" barely fits in my AM and I'd rather have more clearance.

Now I know the Ion 15 shock size is the same as my Helius I wonder if I should try my Avalanche shock in Dippers bike before I give it back?

Question for you Pilot... what are your thoughts on the 29er fork offset debate? I see the 160mm and 150mm PIke fork is available in 46mm and 51mm offsets. The Nicolai cattalogue states 46mm; but what effect would the 51mm offset have (I.e would it compensate for the 0.5deg steeper headtube of the production vs. the-pilot-custom design)? Would you have designed for the 51mm offset had it been available?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah View Post
    I like the 26" 2.4" Conti Rubber Queens I've been running for a few years (not the same ones natch!) so a 29er would be of interest; although the 26" barely fits in my AM and I'd rather have more clearance.

Now I know the Ion 15 shock size is the same as my Helius I wonder if I should try my Avalanche shock in Dippers bike before I give it back? Err yes. assuming its not one tuned for a specific leverage curve. The Ion is quite different to the Helius

Question for you Pilot... what are your thoughts on the 29er fork offset debate? I see the 160mm and 150mm PIke fork is available in 46mm and 51mm offsets. The Nicolai cattalogue states 46mm; but what effect would the 51mm offset have (I.e would it compensate for the 0.5deg steeper headtube of the production vs. the-pilot-custom design)? Would you have designed for the 51mm offset had it been available?
    OK. I did design it with the 51mm offset in mind when I specced it, I was slightly concerned 46mm would make it feel sluggish as my test mule, the AC had the same angles but with a 51mm offset. I was wrong, the 46mm is fine. We had no choice as I wanted the Pike.

The 51mm offset speeds up the steering by reducing the trail for a given head angle, so it will actually make the bike steer (slightly) quicker, but without a noticable loss of stability as its also 5mm longer front centre.

So the 160mm will slacken the head angle and seat angle making the production bike feel like the frame you're riding. If you fit 46mmi offset will feel almost exactly the same except with a slightly longer front centre due to the shorter rear (7mm)
    If you fit 51mm it will steer slightly quicker than the one you're ridin but wont be any less stable. It is very slight in my experience and you become used to either very quickly. I think its worth perhaps 0.5 deg but maybe not that much in reality.

If it was me now I think I'd fit the 51mm at 160mm, slightly quicker steering response without any loss of stability.

I have also had confirmation and pictures from Marcel that the 2.35 HD does fit in the rear of the production bike. Its on a narrow ish rim but the rounded profile almost exaggerates the width of the knobs.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Great info as ever

mtbr member
    I wrote the following for a thread on another forum but think it worth of repeating here.

I've been trying to ignore all the 650b/27.5 threads as I can bring nothing to the discussion since I haven't ridden one. My personal thinking is that over the last few years I've been loving my big 2.4" Conti Rubber Queen tyres and I miss them when running other rubber; one of the big reasons I love them is the balloon like size of them which is very nearly 650b/27.5 (Yes, I know it's not bigger than the new bigger 650b etc but its damn close to those early ones which started the whole thing). From this experience I was definetly going down the 650b route with my next bike as now that decent tyres and rims are available there are no downsides... and you can always run a 26" wheel with a big tyre if you have too (emergency) or want to lower the bottom bracket.

I've been wanting to try a good 29er for a while; but as I mentioned I didn't see the point in trying just any XC/trail bike as that is not the type of riding I enjoy. For most of last year I wanted to ride as much as I could on the bike I would be racing at the Trans-Savoie so I didn't want to change my hardtail or test a 29er and try to get to know a new bike. Now I've had the time and the opportunity to try a good 29er I have felt some benefits as I mentioned. What is a little perturbing is that just as I get to try a good 29er the industry has gone 650b/27.5 nuts and almost all AM/Enduro bikes are going that way.

But... and it's a big one; I think Chainline(Pilot)/Dipper/Nicolai are really onto something here with the Ion 15. This could be one of the first of the truly AM/Enduro optimised 29ers (See also the BMC Trailfox and Specialized Enduro 29er's). So many of the AM 29ers which have come before seem to be overly compromised by hangover XC geometry and flexy forks/wheels/tyres that they never had a chance of feeling great.

I can't get out of my head how well this Ion 15 rides, as I mentioned I just got on it and was instantly throwing it about like I had been riding it for years; I think going back to my little Helius is going to be very interesting... I love my Helius and its an awesome AM bike but I think the game has been moved forward by this Ion 15.

I'm a procrastinator but I'm struggling to come up with reasons not to place my order as soon as I can speak to Dipper.

mtbr member
    Time to update this thread with my conclusion

I've ordered an Ion 15 like Dippers above

I was considering an Ion 16 650b/27.5" but I simply didn't feel any downsides to the 29" wheels on the Ion 15; and I loved the way it carried speed, climbed techy stuff and put a big grin on my face.

I've ended up going with a size Large which is a departure for me as I usually buy Medium but I liked the extra length of Dipper's custom Ion and its nearer a large than Medium (I plan to run a 35mm stem).

To ensure I get enough dropper post height I'm having it made without the "Ion" gusset above the top-tube/seat-tube.

Colour is a secret... (but also very boring option).

mtbr member

i dont come on here that much these days and i blame the ion15! for the first time in 20odd years of riding i dont have upgradeitis. ive nowt to talk about!

not saying that will last but untill something substantially better comes along im happy with the ion. ive sold a few 650b's but have yet to ride one. I will try one at some point but theres no burning desire as i really cant see how it would better the bike i have.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I haven't got upgrade-itus, but I have got 'design something else to try out a different way of cracking the problem even though I don't need to-itus!' Which is a very bad itus to have....ion29 still brilliant...but I do so love the process...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    I have my delivery date and I'm gathering bits from around the globe... excited!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2