Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom

Bits to finish..need to fit the chain guide but bolts too long so need to get some new ones. Temporary bars, temporary shock, temporary seatpost, but apart from that it is built and I'm über pleased with it.
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405068762.476462.jpg
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405068779.443773.jpg

I'll do a take losts of pictures and load them up thing soon when I have more time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looks awesome!! Where you taking it for the christening? Interested to hear what you think of the rims once you've spent some time on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Some pre build stuff
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405086546.996895.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405086561.746930.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405086602.148746.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405086622.801950.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405086643.935790.jpg

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    More pics after a clean. Second ride today, dust yesterday, rain and grit today! I like it alot, which is good!

I am looking forward to the Kirk, although the Ion16 27.5 seems more progressive than the 15 at the back and needs less spacers in the CCDBa, still feels a bit dead even if it is very effective. Weight is ok at 30.5lbs. it will be 29.5lbs when the new parts arrive and 28.5lbs when it hasn't got 2kg worth of tyres on it!

Its deceptively fast, It felt very easy today, no drama, bike wanted to go faster, lots of confidence in the front, turns out I wasn't slow at all. Front is easier to lift than expected given the length too.
    Its also strangely easy to get round 180 uphill switchbacks due to the fact that at 90deg bar turn there is still lots of room between the bar end near to you and you, it remains in front so to speak, you can turn around in your own wheelbase without too much trouble!

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-01.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-02.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-03.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-04.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-05.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-06.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-07.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-08.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-09.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-10.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-11.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-12.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-13.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-14.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-15.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-16.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-17.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-18.jpg

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-nicolai-ion-16-fg-19.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Stunning ride - but your bikes usually are...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pilot, congrats...the bike is amazing.

Tyres look really fat on those 40mm Derby's....not much seat stay clearance according to the photos but plenty with the BOS?

Is the stem a lot higher than conventional stems?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cheers, seems plenty of clearance on the seat stay in the flesh. No touching so far on rides.
    Plenty of front clearance with the rockr2 and BOS.
    The zero is higher, it has a 25mm rise in effect I think I'll have to check, hence needing less spacers. You have to be careful cutting the steerer too. Best to cut a bit, ride, decide if it's right and take more if necessary.
    You can use headset shims to fine tune the insertion.
    I'm stoked with how it looks, I'd like some stickers on the drive side chainstay but needs. To be the right ones, I'll keep looking...
    Taking it to Finale Ligure at the weekend for some uplift & plummet action with a bit of pedalling thrown in.
    I'll probably lob an old tyre section on the DT and tape up the Chainstays for the trip, it has a date with a studio when I get back.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks amazing!

I'm starting to think they sent me 26" Bos Forks as I have barely any clearance with a 2.35 Magic Mary on the front. The Box states they are 27.5 forks though. Any other way to tell as there seems to be nothing on the forks themselves.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
    Looks amazing!

I'm starting to think they sent me 26" Bos Forks as I have barely any clearance with a 2.35 Magic Mary on the front. The Box states they are 27.5 forks though. Any other way to tell as there seems to be nothing on the forks themselves.
    Cheers.
    Hear you go Nalia, sounds like 26 inch:

Axle to crown length :
    26'' : 545mm
    27.5'' : 555mm
    Total offset :
    26'' : 37mm
    27.5'' : 41mm

Pilot, is it being published?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Hear you go Nalia, sounds like 26 inch:

Pilot, is it being published?

I assume so, its a Journo from Future I know who contacted me. He published the piece with the Ion15 and there is a group in there pretty passionate about FG. His colleague is the the guy with the Intense FG custom.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Back from Finale. Apart from a couple of things coming a bit loose (shock bolt, rear
    Mech bolt) the bike worked amazingly well.
    Fantastic feeling from the front. Devilles every bit as good as I remember, fit, forget and revel in how good they are.
    CCDBa worked great out back too.
    A few pedal srikes,
    Inevitable in rocky terrain but nothing to worry me, mostly rider error.
    Climbs brilliantly. Did I mention how amazing the front is. I would also say I could have gone longer I think without worrying but after 3 days shuttling, I never gave the size one single thought so It's spot on for me.
    Wheels were superb, really stiff.
    It's very very good, especially in fast technical terrain and really tight steep hairpins were no problem.
    Aces
    A friend was with me on his FR still doing the business even if it's a bit old skool.
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405944885.741697.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405944915.409059.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405944954.595404.jpg

Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Glad the Italy trip went well, bike looks stunning. Dam I love those BOS forks.... Great to hear the rims went well.....

Go the forward geo.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pilot, sounds fun. Got to try this FG stuff and those wheels. I used to have a black FR just like your friends...still a good bike.

Are you still intending to fit a Kirk...if you do it would be interesting to hear how it compares with the DBa. I've got a DBa and changed it for a Stoy....prefer the Stoy, better control, stability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Are you still intending to fit a Kirk...if you do it would be interesting to hear how it compares with the DBa. I've got a DBa and changed it for a Stoy....prefer the Stoy, better control, stability.
    Did you fit a Stoy Air? I'm looking forward to how it compares too, yes waiting for the Kirk now, it's on the way I'm now told.
    The CCDBa is undoubtedly good and controlled. I had added spacers as per the Nicolai set up session but increased LSC to control pedalling a little better and backed off the rebound to try and provide more pop and it made a difference to feel, but its still not as I remember either my Stoy Coil or vip'r. I hope I'm not disappointed.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've got a coil. Not sure there was ever an air version?

yet another stupid german
    I've got a coil. Not sure there was ever an air version?
    It's called "Void"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What Raschaa said. I had the Stoy coil, nothing I've had before or since has hugged the ground like that shock on my Helius AM, amazing grip yet it still felt lively. Not the best pedalling in the world but by no means the worst.

Vipr felt good but not the same grip level as the Stoy, but close enough for a 600+g weight saving!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ah yes, forgot about the void.

Looking forward to the new SC based on this

First Look: Introducing the 2015 BOS Idylle FCV 37 Fork - bturman - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yay, no have the Kirk, only had one ride so far, feels like a good balance between it and the front, pedalling platform is good, damping is very effective i.e. one click does alot, seems efficient with its travel, all the things I'd hoped.

Should get the Fatbar carbon next week to complete the build all except for the seat post which now appears delayed until Sept! (I've had a slightly grumpy email exchange with Vecnum, basically they have massively underestimated demand and both production runs have sold out immediately. Perhaps they should concentrate on seatposts and not convertible helmets!)

Pics to follow when I have bars...looks alot like it does already thogu I suspect, you wont see the 350g difference in pictures ;-)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pilot, Kirk sounds good...I found the improved balance with my Stoy when I switched. Pity about the seatpost but sounds like a good product and worth the wait.

Do the tyres get really much fatter with those 40mm Derby's? Do you have any measurements?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Loamranger, not much bigger but much more square, I can do some measuring if you want? One or both?
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pilot

Would like to know dia. and width of your front Michelin tyre, if possible to compare with my 650b Flow/Magic Mary set-up. Clearance is tight under my BOS SC's since they are 26in forks originally.

How do you find the Michelin's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Michelin is 61mm wide at knob edge and 700mm dia.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

It's good so far. Hard, rocky, loose rock, hard pack conditions. A lot like a HRII in design. Good edge bite, feels sticky and confidence inspiring although geo probably helps. It's very square on the rim.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi, what ETT did you end up with...

i'm 5' 11 - my arms are 630mm and my torso 680cm and in 762mm

am getting a Helius TB and at present am thinking 620mm top tube and 35mm stem...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast