Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The round profile of the TK might work well with the wider rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom

So slightly ahead of schedule, frame assembled now and ready to be shipped to Hoshi for custom decals..NOW you can tell it's XXL long and S low, I CAN NOT WAIT to build it and shred this thing on some trails in finale Ligure in...3wks

Just need the Derby rims to come out of customs!
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403701075.222850.jpgOrdered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403701055.617361.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the_pilot; 06-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pilot,

The short seat tube helps exaggerate the length of the front triangle, very long and very low look, nice. Should look amazing when it's finished.

No news from Moveloc...sent a e-mail, still no reply yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Agree on Moveloc, same for me.

New availability date end July on shop..

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am currently experiencing the mother of all tyre quandries...
    Any suggestions firstly for a trouble free trip to a finale ligure, suggestions are schwalbe rock razer super gravity rear and Michelin wild rock r2 magic gum front, cor Conti MK rear 2.2 and Tk front 2.4. Or hutchinson cobra/couger.

Then for normal use where my weight weenie self can take over a bit more...well I dunno frankly, always used Maxxis, minions, ardents, HR's, recently had a basis with Hans Dampf but as usual suffered punctures with poor sidewall strength (always seems to happen every time I try a schwalbe)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    SG version of Magic Mary front, 2.2 Conti TK rear or Rock Razor rear.

What hubs and spokes are you using with the Derby's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Chris king hubs, Sapim cx rays.

Aka chainline...

yet another stupid german
    Yo, have good experience with HD in SG version, run the MM in SG on my DH bike as well....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Think I will go Rock Razer rear in SG, give schwalbe another chance and either MM front SG or the Michelin for the Finale trip...will add weight but that beats punctures!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nearly there now..a few more parts arriving.

CK hub now has XD driver fitted and 142x12 axle + I serviced it.

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1324.jpg

Derby rims arrived, splendidly wide..

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1330.jpg

Need to build the wheels now..

Saddle is here
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1302.jpg

Frame has had custom Decals added by Holger at WhyEx.

Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1333.jpg
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1334.jpg
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1335.jpg
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1336.jpg
    Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-img_1337.jpg

Frame will be with me next week.

Devilles are here
    Name:  IMG_1254.PNG
Views: 275
Size:  81.5 KB

I am waiting on Renthal Carbon Fatbar 780mm, they are not available just yet..and of course the Moveloc, but I will 'borrow' my Reverb from the Argon.

Still waiting for a Kirk, but CCDBa will do the duty in the meantime and I need some pedals. Might try the new Superstar Delta...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Chromag Scarabs are nice pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just spotted this copy which was originally published in April

Spotted at Sea Otter: Intense Tracer 275 & Forward Geometry | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

It belongs to a Journo friend of mine. He was looking at a Nic but the offer to build it and see it happen was too good to turn down. It's not quite as long in the TT as he would have preferred ideally but It was the longest TT they had and close enough. He loves it. he's been a FwdGeo evangelist (within the limits of his job of course) for a long time now.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pedals on the way too now..wheels being built as I type 😊Ordered: Ion 16 Fwd Geo Custom-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404567746.509047.jpg

I want to try and find a SRAM and a Mavic sticker too...

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I did a not even attached to the bike test of my new Devilles. Lack of stiction is amazing even after my Pikes and so smooth through the stroke. Hope they have the same feel on the bike, no reason why not of course as Devilles and I have history but it's been a few years...

Last edited by the_pilot; 07-07-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi, looking forward to seeing this build completed. Should be a real weapon. Did I read earlier on in the post that you've got an ion 15 aswell? I'm torn between ordering the 16 650b or the 15. I emailed nicolai but there are no demo bikes in the uk so it looka like being a blind purchase.
    What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Frame is in da house, well Dippers house having a headset fitted, 3.59kg with all the bolts and axle. Nae too bad considering its an xxl with paint and in line with my spreadsheet Some minor scuffing to a tiny bit of headtube paint in transit (due to it being so long) but not noticable

Build will commence Thursday I hope.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    philblue, I did have an Ion15, I worked with Nicolai on the design, see the thread.

Whafe has it now and is in love with it...me I always have itchy feet for the next project so decided to do this one next...

If you are torn maybe you should ride all three FG Ion16, Ion16 and Ion15.

Dipper is pretty good about letting people demo his bikes so if you can get yourself to Glentress he may be able to oblige with a test ride
    richard@gravity-sports.co.uk
    There are also a number of 16 owners around who I am sure would be willing to help out of you are willing to travel.
    I certainly don't mind people trying mine. I need to pay a visit to Rich as he also wants a shot on the FG 27.5.

I loved my 15, Richard is still in love with his as is Whafe etc. its a stellar bike.
    I've never ridden the 650b or any 650b yet!
    THere is a thread by pimpmessiah (Sadly no longer with us) on his journey to originally going to get the 650b but after trying the Ion15 (despite being an unbeliever) he couldnt believe how good it was so switched to that model.

If you want to try mine get in touch, you have Dippers email above.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Philblue
    Have you ridden any AM 29?

I'd say the key difference is in the forgiveness of the 29(15) it just let's you get away with so much which in turn gives you such confidence.
    I'd also say if I had only one bike that would be it. It can be built light enough to pedal all day, pedals really well and covers ground easily up up hill and down dale and smashes the descents. I (personally) wouldn't have a 'normal' Ion16 27.5.
    The only reason this one has 27.5 wheels is I couldn't make the FG geometry work in a full suss with 29 wheels. And they kinda do the same thing in different ways.
    However I'm certain the 29 will pedal better.
    The Ion15 really does handle like a 26 with added stability/rollover and ground covering ability. It is a bit less 'playful'(just as manoeuvrable) due to those attributes i.e. because it is so forgiving of mistakes and terrain. So unless you feel the need to pop off everything and manual everywhere (it does all of those things) then for most mortals it's fab.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just read the ion15 thread. Sounds like a great bike, nice work. It'd be great to be able to test the difference between them. I rode a intense carbine 29 recently and really liked the way it rode other than having not enough reach and I'm not after another vpp bike. It will be my only bike so it needs to do everything well. I'm riding a santa cruz blur tr at the minute which great fun but not enough travel at times. Picking a new bike is a minefield of options which gets bigger every year. Ha. Not sure I'd be brave enough to order a forward geometry frame though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pilot,

Ion 15 29er was an amazing project....tempted to try get one of these. How far could you push the TT of the XL (640 as stock)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Loamranger, my brother in law has a 635mm ETT L Shinobi he now runs with a 10mm, he crashed it at BPW on its first outing, not because he overlooked it, but because he went from 45mm to 10mm and it steered so fast (it as bought large, short stem, west forward) now has v short stem seat normal/back although he'd prefer a touch more reach.
    I think balancing the head angle and the length is key. The concern for me was i it would become too stable with the 29 because of the wheels but I'm not so sure now. The chainstays aren't a problem as they are only 9mm longer than the 27.5. I think you could add 40mm without any worry especially if you had light wheels and you kept the 67.5 HA., maybe longer, the wheelbase would be similar to mine now and CPs is 40mm longer than mine which he's happy with.
    I must confess tho I'd rather have a tame frame builder and build a hardtail out of scaffold tubes to test the geo on the 29 first. Don't forget I tested the Ion29 geo out with a flexible bike first and did similar with a Mondraker I borrowed for this one so kinda prototyped.
    However..
    based on broinlaws experience, without ūber light carbon wheels on it and seeing how it turns, I have a hard time thinking that 680-690mm ETT would be a problem with a 68 HA and short 10 or 20mm stem It could be just a bit too sanitising though and getting it stopped into corners could be tough!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pilot

Thanks for your thoughts on the Ion 15 29er with longer TT, definately considering this option. I see BOS are introducing the Dizzy 29er fork, pity it's 32 mm stantion and 100/120mm travel only. That leaves the Pike as the only option for this bike I suppose?Not sure if Avy do a cartidge for the 29er Pike yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes Avy do, to answer my own question. 160 Pike with Avy cartridge...that would be the way to go then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Yes. One of Dippers Nicolai friends has a 160mm Avy Pike on his bike, maybe mail for some feedback but pretty sure it would be good.

Aka chainline...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast