"Its All Good"

Nucleon TFR vrs Helius FR

Had not ridden the Nucleon TFR for quite some time really, it was sitting lonely in my garage next to its other Nicolai siblings.

After seeing some posts etc on updated TFR's etc, I thought I would re build up the TFR with the few bits needed taken from the Helius FR...

The Geo figures on the Large Nucleon TFR are exactly the same as the figures for the Large Helius FR.....

So my Helius FR weighs in at 32 lbs. It is an unbelievably great all round bike. It can do most stuff to a high level, great to pedal, goes down hill great, jumps great etc etc....

The Nucleon TFR weighs in at 42.32 lbs, she is not light.... Take into account that the weight sits low and centered, this has benefits. Not really much room to reduce this weight on this bike much more.

As you may have picked up this week, have been amping to ride the TFR again. Last ride I had on it was Whistler and Andorra.... It then was in lets say more of a DH guise....

It pissed with rain all night, so the trails were really wet. So was not going to be a Sunday of bulk jumping.... Not on structures anyway....

Feeling wise the bikes feel the same, well as they should. The BB area is wider on the TFR....Rear is slightly lighter....

It is for sure very noticeable how much heavier it is to ride compared to my FR... A good 10 lbs heavier.... The GBoxx is great in that you can change gear anytime, no worries in the mud and a good many other things....

The thing that I noticed the most comparing both bikes is that the TFR when jumping is a sensational balanced bike in the air, it is very very noticeable how balanced it is. I was stoked about this..... Didnt hit to many jumps up, as mentioned above, the wooden structures were like ice being so wet.... But did find a few jumps....

Best way I can sum this Whafe style review (crappy) is:

[SIZE="4"]Is the extra 10lbs of weight worth it??????[/SIZE]

I love the TFR, it is an engineering masterpiece, it stuns me how cool it is. But knowing what I know now, I would not purchase one instead of a Helius FR.... That is not to say that this technology is not going to get better, because it will.... Still really feel that the future will be gearbox bikes..... We are there with the front gearbox types.... The way it feels jumping is awesome, but again that doesnt do enough to carry 10lbs of extra weight around...

I still rate the TFR though. Perhaps in the UK in the constant mud etc it would be a great machine... Another thought that goes through my mind is the fact that I have a few bikes, so get used to light bikes, if this was the one bike I had, would be very used to pedaling the 42 lbs around constantly.....

A few pictures.....

A few jumps on the TFR.......

We also had riding with us the Knolly, Niner, Pivot New Zealand Distributor riding with us... A good guy as it happens, he was riding Momentus's Jet 9....

As normal, Al and Momentus were with us.... Boydie was on the crapper with the trots...

Momentus getting some air on the Del T....

Hope all your riding went well over the weekend......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

steep fast and loose :)
    just as wet here too

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    just as wet here too
    Yes way wet here too. But we are lucky we have a sand based out at this riding spot......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    just as wet here too
    Wet again today........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Wet again today........
    I missed out on a great mornings riding yesterday. It was sunny, warm and dry but unfortunately I was dying from a red wine frenzy on Sat night

Nice write up whafe. Ever since messiah had his Nucleon delivered 5 years ago I’ve hankered after a gearbox equipped Nicolai and reading reports from both of you hasn’t changed that at all. When you initially advertised your TFR for sale last year I was sorely tempted however weight is an issue for me as it will be my main bike. I need something reasonably “light” but suitable for taking big hits in its stride and able to handle ride lengths from 2-3hr local trails up to week long holidays to Spain. My FR is almost perfect in that respect as it’s currently sitting at 33-34lbs in 160mm guise but is still only 37-38lbs with Totems and DH tyres fitted if I want to go big.
    If there’s a future for these bikes in the mainstream then a 140/160mm gearbox equipped trail/AM bike under 35lbs with a useable range of gears would be a winner.

"El Whatever"
    Great stoke, bro!!!

My kingdom for a ride!!!
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    yetiman - Your thoughts pretty much mirroe mine. I stressed about a GBoxx bike for some time, I originally thought that is would be my last jumpy type bike, but then got hooked on getting some air, so carried on with more bikes... LOL...

I originally built the TFR for more down hill type riding that was lift assisted.... I have enjoyed re building this biike up, more so for hard core AM lets say type riding. But I do think it to heavy for all day epic rides for a mere mortal like me....

The day that Nicolai can build a GBoxx bike that is like an FR and weigh 34 - 35lbs, look out bike world!

Thanks Warp, hope you are rocking it....

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Thanks Warp, hope you are rocking it....
    Bro, send me a PM with your email, please...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Whafe, that is an excellent write up. My Nucleon is the only full-suss I have although I've often thought about trying either a lighter build on it or having another full suss bike. But whenever I point this thing down a really silly hill I reap the benefits of huffing it up there. I would like a lighter build/bike but with my history of breaking stuff going down the overbuilt route and living with the extra heft for the confidence it gives is great.

One thing... I struggle to see where the 10lb difference it weight comes from? Surely the TFR could get down a bit without too many compromises? Tyres etc?
    I know my Nukey has a daft heavy wheels with DH rims and rubber, this is where a considerable amount of beef is. But it never feels it in use, only when I have to load it in the car or carry it over a fence.