mtbr member

Nucleon TFR owners.

Can anyone shed some light on the stated frame weight of the Nucleon TFR. According to Nicolai's catalogue the Nucleon TFR frame is 6.3kg in weight (excluding shock) and is pictured c/w crank, gearbox, rear hub and axle which compared to my FR c/w crank, cassette, mechs, rear hub and axle appears to be a very small weight penalty for an internal gearbox equiped bike. but, and there's always a but! the bikes that are currently posted on here all weigh in a good 8 to 10 pounds heavier than the FR despite being fitted with similar equipment to the FR's.

I expect the TFR to come with a weight penalty compared to my FR but I would just like to know the true figures before I set my heart on one.

Thanks in Advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The weight is wrong it's more somthing like 8.5kg, for a complet bike the weight increas by 1.5 kgs.

"Its All Good"
    I have my TFR set up with pretty light stuff where I can, and I am a good 9 lbs heavier than my Helius FR...

I am not sure i could make the TFR much lighter... The rear wheel has the Nicolai hub, the rim is an Mavic 823, so could maybe make the rim slightly lighter. My headstem could be lighter, but not much else can be lighter really, few little bits....

cyril, have a search for my thread on my TFR .......

I am not aware of many other TFR's sitting at less than 40lbs, could well be. I would be keen to see them too...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine is hovering round the 19kg mark which is around 42 ibs.

This TFR from the German Forum is running at 17.7kg (39 ibs) which is one of the lighter build that i have seen so far.
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...30&postcount=8

I would love to get the bike down to 35 ibs range if thats even possible. Someone did suggest to me to change all the bolts to TI since there are so many on the TFR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mine in all mountain version 150mm rear and front 16.8kgs

but no adjustable seat poste, and very light componants abd tires

so in enduro version for megavalanche with dh tires(maxxis), coil shock and 160mm fork 19.6kg

"Its All Good"
    WF- I find it hard to believe that the picture on the German forum is that weight, taking into account it is running a Lyric, Gravity Dropper etc....

Cyril, how does yours ride in the light mode?

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Cyril 88,

Are you entered in this years Mega Avalanche and are you using the Nucleon TFR for it?.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The light mode is for winter riding with a lot of climbing and pedaling.

Yes i go to the mega next week i will be at l'alp d'huez on wendesday with my TFR i already do the maxi at valnord in andorre to preapre mega

mtbr member
    I'm setting off for the Mega tomorrow night and should be at l'alp d'huez this Monday. Would be nice to meet up so I can get a look at your TFR.

Does your TFR also have a heavy mode for the race season? or do you always run it in light mode?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No problem to meat you, heavy mode is that i need for the enduro race season.

mtbr member
    Cyril 88, I'll PM you my mobile number and you can maybe send me text when you get to l'alpe d'huez. Mind you I'll probably have a million and one questions for you about the race as well as the TFR as I'm a Mega virgin .

"Its All Good"
    Best of luck to you both.....

sdr08 - enjoy loosing your Mega Virginity......

mtbr member
    Sorry got a little off topic there.

Cheers Whafe....As excited as I am to be racing the Mega I'm still nervous about it as I can't get my head around the terrain, distance and height......it's going to be awesome.

So to get back on topic - What is the TFR like to pedal? If I'm looking at a 40lb bruiser of a bike is it going to feel like a 40lb bruiser of a bike or feel very much like my FR? or at least a slightly heavier FR .

Cheers for the input so far folks.

"Its All Good"
    sdr08 - Feel the fear and do it anyway.......

That would be my take also, a heavier FR...... May go back to the FR at some stage in the near future.....

mtbr member
    "Feel the fear" Feel it....I can almost smell it.

The fear at the moment is the black ski run at 3300m, the glacier, the boulder fields and the unknown of how my legs and arms will cope with the punishment of dropping over 2500m in 22 miles.

At least I'm confident that my FR is capable .

"Its All Good"
    Hey my man, dont be underestimating yourself..... Dropping 2.5K meters will be sensational, the FR will rock it........ I am jealous, love to be entering a race like that....

YEAH HA

mtbr member
    It's going to be mental. to quote the starter "it's a race for your life" it's neither a downhill race or a cross country race....it's a mountain bike race.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The start it's the better moment

mtbr member
    Yes , when you hear the sound alarmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, your heart is at his maximum, no matter what you do, and then it's you againt 1000 people, epic ride !!!!
    Never enough singletracks !