mtbr member
    Aug 2008

nonius CC with Talas or Float.

Hi ,

what is your advice the nonius need or not need a Fox Talas 32 140mm RL
    or if is OK to go with fox 32 Float 140 RL ?

thanks

IDO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I guess what you're really asking is whether a 140mm travel fork will be too much for the Nonius and this is important because the Talas is quite a bit more expensive than the Float?
    OK I don't own nor have ever ridden a Nonius but I guess having looked at the specs I can offer some advice.
    If your plan is to always ride the Nonius as a 130mm travel bike (it's maximum travel setting) then you could quite happily get away with 140mm travel fork - in this case, the Float would be fine. A 10mm difference between front and rear is really nothing to worry about.
    However, if your intention is to run the Nonius in the lower travel setting, say the 100mm/110mm, then having much more travel upfront may imbalance the bike a little. What you will notice is that the front will allow you to hit things faster because the extra travel will give you more control, but the back end won't be able to keep up. In reality, this is less of an issue than you might think - after all, many people still ride hardtails with long travel forks and their rear ends (if you will excuse the expression) have no travel!
    What I can't say is how the bikes geometry will be affected by the longer travel fork, especially in the lower travel settings. Looking at the Nonius, it is apparent that the longer travel setting would be reached in the lower shock mount (less leverage on the shock will give more wheel travel for a given compression). On other bikes, that arrangement would mean an increase in the head angle, raising of the BB etc, relative to the lower travel setting. If this is the case, then it is the reverse of what you would want - i.e. you want slacker head angle for longer travel on the assumption that you're going faster DH. If the lower travel setting DOES mean a slacker head angle, then the non-adjustable longer travel fork will significantly imbalance the bike. In this case, you really would be better off with the Talas.
    I don't know whether Nicolai design the travel settings to be geometry neutral or not. If they do, then you could possibly still get away with the Float + lower travel setting, but it would still be better for the money being spent to go with the Talas. After all, a Nicolair isn't exactly a budget bike so I assume that the cost difference between the two forks is unlikely to be too much of an issue?
    Finally (and this was a long answer I know!) I may be wrong about a number of points here (such as the travel settings, geometry etc), but I am sure that the Nicolai Massive will correct my errors!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nonius maximum fork travel is 140mm
    Seat tube angle is 72.2
    Head angle is 69.5
    To go uphill with Talas 140-120-100 is easier then Float is fixed on 140mm.
    Or you think the geometry is OK to go on fix fork.

Thanks

IDO