Thread: Nonius CC

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nonius CC

One of my beaters is getting on a bit even for a beater, and I was also thinking about tossing the Bullit out at last - and replacing both with a Nonius, using parts culled from both machines.

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-fr...nonius-cc.html

As the cheapest general-purpose suspended Nicolai, what am I losing from a rider standpoint over the Helius's that I'm familiar with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The only thing you're loosing is the Horst link and some might argue that this is less of a loss and more of a gain, in terms of single pivot simplicity. I don't know how well the Nonius rides though.

Since they started using the same front triangle on the Nonius as on the Helius AM, it's even harder to see where the extra 700 for the Helius goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes - well, the physical and technical differences are obviously rather easy to figure out. I was wondering what you lost from a riding standpoint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah sorry, the comments were a little obvious. There is actually a really interesting article in Dirt this month about axle paths and linkages and what difference they actually make. It seems to be saying that the axle path is the most important aspect of suspension, followed by the quality of the damper but that one can't compensate for the other if one is excellent and one flawed.

Having ridden other single pivot designs, the only time I can say I really felt a difference was under heavy breaking on steep loose descents. Then I could feel the rear stiffening up and the wheel struggling for grip. A skilled rider could reduce the problem by not breaking so heavily.

Nicolai
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Yeah sorry, the comments were a little obvious. There is actually a really interesting article in Dirt this month about axle paths and linkages and what difference they actually make. It seems to be saying that the axle path is the most important aspect of suspension, followed by the quality of the damper but that one can't compensate for the other if one is excellent and one flawed.

Having ridden other single pivot designs, the only time I can say I really felt a difference was under heavy breaking on steep loose descents. Then I could feel the rear stiffening up and the wheel struggling for grip. A skilled rider could reduce the problem by not breaking so heavily.
    totally agree and to add on,

i started with a nonius CC and even use it for XC races. now im riding a Heilus am , you get more plushness, more tarvel (depending on you selection on the frame) . More comfortable over small bumps and downhill decends,

BUt , a 4 bar horst link frame can never accelerate like a Nonius frame simply because nonius is a single pivot and the power transfer is better then heilus

it really depends on what you looking at in your ride, respond or comfort?

this is just my opinion from what i ahve experience from both bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For beater / Bullet-replacement use I guess comfort is not a primary factor. I guess there are no real deal-killers in going for the Nonius?

Nicolai
    well both bike does have different characters though, what kind of terrain you will be mostly looking at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    'urban fun', for want of a better word.