Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nicolais and Thule roof racks

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Whafe 
#1 ·
Hi, have a Helius TB on order and wondered about how it will work with my Thule roof rack. A bike is secured by two wheel straps but the vertical bar pinches the frame on the down tube...is there a solution to stop it destroying the cables (and brake fluid for the rear brake?)...have heard that wrapping an inner tube can work but don't think it will in this case. Any thoughts? is there a different clamp for the thule for bikes like Nicolai? or do i need to sell the thule roof stuff and invest in a tow bar and rear bike assembly?

regards

#2 ·
I stopped using those racks many years ago (switched first to fork mount Thule racks - less drag and more secure) and then to carrying bikes in the vehicle.

However, never found it a problem even with down tube mounted cables - most of the pressure is from the sides and the rubber of the mount will deform around the cables before it damages them

#4 ·
I have been carrying Nicolai's on my Thule roof racks for many many years, no damage at all.

I have at times put some 3M protective clear cover around the area the clamps. Not at present though, have an raw frame ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.