Dirt Displacer

New question here. Nicolai versus Votec

I've drooled over Nicolai bikes while I was in Germany.... But I have the opportunity to get one of these, if I so choose.....

The Votec FR1.3 has:
    - 7.5 inches of rear travel, 6-to-8" up front;
    - Options on a bolt-through/QR/Maxle or even Rohloff rear wheel;
    - 66.8 degree head-angle;
    - 45.66" wheelbase

Votec FR1.3- A complete bike is $5363, and that's with the 19% German sales tax.
    Nicolai HeliusST- Complete is $6,017

Choices.... choices.....

Votec FR1.3
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Glad to Be Alive
    wow....a semi FSR Stinky........pricey
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Check your PM's and holler back at me. I can prob get the Helius-ST to the same price as the Votec depending on the build. The Helius-ST is freeride nirvana. And for reference can be setup with a Rohloff and comes with a Maxle and adjustable travel and geo comparable to the Votec.
    Last edited by Err; 08-25-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: missed a few things

mtbr member
    Didn't know the votec still existed. They used to make really great bikes. This one is so ugly :/

"Its All Good"
    Bombardier............... I dreamt and drooled over Nicolai's for a good many years. In the end it was one of those things, I didnt want to get to wearing the wooden jacket without owning one............. Yes am biased having got a Nicolai, but they are a seriously sexy piece of kit, and a great biek to ride...............Asthetically, a Nicoali jumps on that Vortec, beauty is in the eye of the beholder though...

I can seriously reccommend chewing the fat with Err on the topic. Will be a good chance to share your thoughts with someone whom knows bikes and thrives on bike stoke.....

Good luck either way bro..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Dirt Displacer
    If this goes through with the Votec, it'll be a frame-only; with the 66, Gustav stoppers, Outlaw wheelset, & drivetrain coming off my Nomad to be swapped onto the FR1.3. I've wanted a Nicolai NucleonTST or Helius for a long, long while, but I'm still torn. Aesthetically, the Votec reminds me of a Banshee Scream, and the geometry is almost exactly the same. I'm not sure about the German bike's BB height, but about the only thing different is the Votec's head-angle is a degree steeper.
    I really don't relish the idea of buying either without demo'ing the Votec first, but I think that before I go either way, I could at least throw down on a demo Banshee for a good estimate on the Votec's ride.
    However, I have given the Helius a go before I left Germany, and though it wasn't a proper scouting of the bike's capabilities, I still remember it as being far-out.

Err- I'll PM you within the next couple days. Gotta nail down the fundage.

Norbar- Votec was rather MIA for a little while, as half of the company left a couple years ago. He's now making Voitl bikes, and Votec picked things back up.

Voitl Bikes
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah i think thats gay, and whats up with the roco?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    yeah i think thats gay, and whats up with the roco?
    Rocco is needing a piggy back set up, obviously doesnt fit.........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wow....a semi FSR Stinky........pricey
    Closer to an NRS in function.