"Its All Good"

Nicolai Riding Peeps

Hi All

Can we make an effort to post up some riding stoke out on our Nicolai's........

It takes effort on all our parts to keep the Nicolai Forum going strong, we have built up great momentum, seems to have tapered off a bit...

Bring on the stoke, we need posts of your rides etc.... it helps others whom are not out riding get through their days

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Ok here's my ride a month ago when it was still winter here in Moscow:

Some serious upgrades are on their way though...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice shots!

"Its All Good"
    Bring on the riding pictures peeps.............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mines not ready to ride but the build is kicking off soon so I will update as and when bit get bolted on.. received my speedball today

mtbr member
    P1010302
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Some pics of my old FR.

Top of the Pic Blanc at last years MegAvalanche

MegAvalanche '07

mtbr member
    floki - Thats the nutts dude.. how did the FR stand up the MegAvalanche course.. was thinking of doing it one year

mtbr member
    Looks like fun to me..
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The FR was fantastic for the MegAvalanche. The bike was great ... I ended up with broken ribs though!
    If you get the chance its an amazing event to do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Nice pics, particularly the first one !
    Nice colour of the UFO ST too !
    Never enough singletracks !

'All over it!'
    Nice shots there of Chicksands Solamanda, I haven't yet had the bottle to try that drop, but will get there eventually.

"Its All Good"
    Bring on the Nicolai stokage... Great shots.....

Drink...sleep
    Some nice pics there guys!

Finally today, after almost a month of having the Nic, I did some reasonably proper riding! No really good trails around here, so I just did some good jumps and drops in a couple of nice bombholes in the 'local' forest (Thetford Forest, for the UK guys). Sorry, didn't bring my camera, so no pics (well, I could show you a pic of it sitting in my room being all dirty ).

But man, this bike is amazing! Like Whafe has said a couple of times, it is just so incredibly stable in the air. It's like it's got a very neutral centre of gravity, and jumping and dropping really doesn't take effort at all. It doesn't want to throw you over the bars, but it's also not too wheelie happy in the air. Way differrent to my Prophet, which you really had to throw back not to fly over your handlebars. Felt very planted when launching a jump, and landings also felt very controlled (most of the time).

As for riding on the trail, I didn't do a lot of that, as the trails here suck, and were coated with an extra thick layer of mud today. Still did some though, and the bike doesn't feel overly plush, less plush than I had expected, you can still feel lots of stuff, but it does feel very controlled, and almost tank-like. Steering felt a bit awkward at first (probably due to the extra wide handlebars and very short stem). Bit difficult to explain, a bit slow, but also twitchy at the same time. Sort of got the hang of it after a while though, so something I'll have to get used to.

The Vanilla fork was great too. About the same level of plushness as my Lefty. Got better and better during the ride, and on the big drops still had about 8mm of travel left (using the medium spring for my 85kg). As far as shock setup (DHX5) is concerned, on the big drops I was getting full travel (moved the bumper up before jumping, and it was all the way down again after doing the drop), but didn't seem to bottom hard (at least not that I felt). Now I'm never really sure when I bottom out on the rear, should this be very clear when it happens?

To conclude: simply a great bike. Plus, I got some nice scars on my shins from the pedals, and even on my upper legs/knees from falling over and the shock mount bolts digging in (they're pretty sharp!). Lots of comments on the trail as well, so poseur value well good, which is always nice .

Edit: For those not in the know, I'm talking about the Helius FR