Thread: Nicolai NewB

Im O'l Greggggg

Nicolai NewB

Hey guys - Im a newbie to the Nicolai scene and wanted to say hello as u all seem quite a chatty bunch with ridiculous amounts of knowledge etc...

Always fancied a Nicolai but never thought I would - but managed to grab the last Helius FR 2009 in small from Nic UK, Simon couldnt be more helpful considering its the weekend! What a bargain (and such a coincidence my mongoose gave up the goose after a recent north to south of scotland expedition too!).

Anyhow the build will mostly be parts from the goose - Halo, sunline, fsa, Shimano XT & saint, hope, Ethirteen. with a choice of fox36's or boxxer team's depending on what sort of ridings going on!

Hopefully frame will arrive this week in time for friday ft Bill - with a busy build thursday night but then that just adds to the fun! if not it will be ready for the friday after! and I'll make sure to add a piccy too!

Happy Riding...

KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sounds like a nice build - would've though the 36's will work a treat on the FR, and the other kit sounds like it is all good and fit for the frame you have coming.

Fort Bill will be just the spot to give it a work out-have to see if you can't get some pics from the inaugural ride. Gave my AFR a first work out there just the other month, was a very nice spot to ride.

Im O'l Greggggg
    Cheers - im pretty certain it will all fit the bill perfectly, and I can't wait to get to Ft Bill, or even locally around Aviemore will be a great test - Like you say the area is fantastic, and beautiful too - Not to mention the run from devils staircase to the tailrace inn for a quick drink!!

Which forks are you running on your AFR out of interest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Am certainly not local to it, but had the good fortune to ride with Dipper off here. Was a cracking day, would love to ride a bit more stuff around there too.

Am running Totem coil w/ mission control DH damper on my AFR.

Im O'l Greggggg
    Glad you had a good time - I've only lived in Scotland for just over a year now (and unfortunately will be posted back to England in sep/oct) but it has some amazing trails to offer - couple that with access laws and your laughing all the way! I'm hoping to put in some time in Wales once I'm down south again to see how it all compares!

Totems are indeed a sweet fork - had the boxxer teams not came in at such a good bargain (about 550 bnib) then totems were second on the list! I just need to get some spacers now to bring the travel down a touch!

mtbr member
    Nice stuff mate - running totems on my FR - wicked fork for when the going gets nasty
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

"Its All Good"
    Sweet sweet, you will love the FR, a true weapon of a frame.... It can take a beating and come back for more.... Ensure you post us up some pictures, can never have to many pictures..

Welcome to the forum also....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    where abouts in scotland are you Kris? loads of us up here in the NE if you ever fancy a get together
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey Kris

I am Inverness and ride an FR...Superb bike, you will love it!

We go out on a tuesday,wed and always a sat or sunday!

Give me a shout

Im O'l Greggggg
    Hey guys - from all the feedback on how good the fr is i'm itching to start! I live in Kinloss so pretty close to inverness - Krembo, have you got the mast dialled up your way? Certainly up for a meet and a ride guys - there are a few of us up here into our bikes if your into the more the merrier way of living?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yup

Got the masts dialled.

Sweet drops/jumps..perfect for the FR

steep fast and loose :)
    moray trails this saturday then ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or either Laggan/Golspie/Inverness masts on sunday for me......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrembo
    Or either Laggan/Golspie/Inverness masts on sunday for me......
    I'm staying near Strathpeffer for a week from this Saturday and will be taking the FR with me. I'll probably take in Golspie and Learnie but I'm also looking forward to trying some of the Inverness trails which according to some mates who were there in May were just awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman71
    I'm staying near Strathpeffer for a week from this Saturday and will be taking the FR with me. I'll probably take in Golspie and Learnie but I'm also looking forward to trying some of the Inverness trails which according to some mates who were there in May were just awesome

Some sweet Inverness trails!

Give me a shout I will defo be up for somthing!
    Last edited by Kbrembo; 07-06-2010 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Cheers. I'll give you a shout when I arrive as I'm not sure yet which days or evenings I'll be riding. You can remove the number now

i fancy laggan soon - haven't ridden there for ages..........

Im O'l Greggggg
    Here we are - Pictures as promised!! and the build was finished a day before expected too!! Would have been nice to use all brand spanking parts but hey im not made of money!

Ready for Ft Bill friday! will see what's going on as im up for some riding the next few weeks/ends - Will be going to Ft Bill again on the 23rd if anyone's interested.

Spec:

Nicolai FR - in small!
    Forks : RS Boxxer Team 010
    Bars : Azonic World Force
    Stem : Sunline direct mount
    Headset : Nuclear Warhead (temporarily)
    Grips : Lizard skins Peaty edition
    Drivetrain -

Saint Shifter Pod
    XT Rear Mech
    SLX Cassette
    XTR cables in jagwire outer
    Gravity MotoX cranks
    Blackspire Nuvi 34t
    Blackspire C4 Bashring
    Ethirteen SS guide
    Sram 991 Chain
    Shimano spds

Seatpost : FSA 250
    Saddle : SDG Bel air Ti
    Clamp : Hope QR

Rims : Halo SAS on spin Dr hubs
    Tyres : Kenda Telonix 2.4's

Brakes : Saint
    Rotors : Hope 180R / 230 floating F

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sweet!

Boxxers look the business!

Golspie or Laggan or Inverness this weekend?

forecast is a write-off this weekend......................

"Its All Good"
    Looks the business, thrash her hard.... Great looking steed
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    That looks ace Kris. Looking forward to the Fort William report.

Im O'l Greggggg
    Here we go! - Fort William was pretty god dam wet - and windy! But as always a right hoot... The Nic did good! took a few runs to get the suspension dialled in nicely, and start to push it a bit harder, it is truly a lovely machine; pedals well both in and out of the saddle, and really lets fly when you want it too! Didn't ride it as hard as I would have liked given the conditions but a great start nonetheless!

Also took it down to the local dirt jumps yesterday for a bit of air time - amazing fun! Bit heavier but neither is it a lightweight build, but I can tell its up for a bit of abuse so I'm going to give it a good thrashing the next couple of rides out!

Very happy Days!