Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread

I thought it worth separating out the GPI and std bike threads really and providing a platform to both showcase different peoples builds and how the bikes are being used, how the frames are evolving and to provide a place for feedback or suggestions.

I have been waiting for my new and shocks to arrive after the last two frames went to new, enthusiastic owners with quite different builds for different ends of the riding spectrum showing how versatile the bike can be.

My next build will be a little different too building on the development theme.

Still a longest sixe, me being 5'10"/178cm It will sport some Mojo tuned Fox 40's reduced to 180mm with the previously featured 450mm swingarm and 175mm travel 222x70mm X2 with 6 spacers at the rear.
    Overall this adds around 470g to the 36 equipped version.

I will be running a -2 angleset with a std BSI BB height of 342mm with the current tyres of choice being a Minion SS rear and Magic Mary/Mavic Charge/Maxxis Minion WT

A new internally routed Fox Transfer seatpost will take care of dropper duties, shedding aroubd 100g over the previous DOSS (Which has been bombproof and maintenance free)

I'll still be running a mixture of both Derby rimmed CK wheels and Mavic XL'S with a dean easy conversion at the rear.

I was hoping the new Mavic Carbon wheels would be suitable to drop another 100g or so, but it's clear they are not man enough for the job with a recommended max jump of 60cm.

Brakes and drivetrain are a mixture of Hope and xtr/Sram XX1

Stem is a Syntace 30mm and bars Atherton Pro 800's

I am still expecting the whole bike to come in under 32lbs.

Reports and pics once built!

For now here is the previous incarnation

As usual the bike will be available for demo's if I'm in the vicinity or someone very specifically wants to try it and we can arrange something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-25953993113_c5e614310b_z.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like I will also be fitting some adjustable offset triple clamps. More testing.

The 40 fork easily takes both 27.5 and 29er wheels so I will also be testing the effect of using the larger wheel at these head angles on the front and where/what type of trail that may be an advantage and/or disadvantage..

A key aspect for me is also if the triple clamp is an issue in terms of manoeuvrability in tight situations e.g. switchbacks and tight trees. Low speed carpark testing suggests not but real life reports to follow of course...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is a really nice blog from my Italian friend who came to the UK to pick up and test his GeoMetron to get the settings sorted.

This is his only bike and a true all round setup. Some nice pictures too.

nicolai*mojo - aadm
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Here is a really nice blog from my Italian friend who came to the UK to pick up and test his GeoMetron to get the settings sorted.

nicolai*mojo - aadm

Cool. "my bike must be #24 of the original twenty-five."

Wondering what number mine is

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Low numbers honourablegeorge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member

Quite excited now.... have all the parts pretty much organised, dithering a bit over rims and tyres as the bike will be on both trail and uplift duty since it replaces the DH bike and the 26" Ion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rims and tyres? something 26mm-30mm wide is about optimal in my view. Tyres; I like a fast rear, faves include Minion SS, Rockrazor, even when a bit wet as sliding the back feels very natural but you lean the GeoMetron so much more it's only braking that can suffer,

Minion DHF2 on the rear is good, Maxxis Aggressor is recommended by CP, my Bro in law recommends the new Vittoria Morso

On the Front Magic Mary or Mavic Charge all the way for me but about to try the 2.5 Minion DHF2 WT

Should get mine this weekend, looking forward to it.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Cool... think mine wil be along a week or so later.

New Flow rims at 29mm ID are current favourites. I think the RR would just lack too much traction for me, both climbing and braking - much as I like the idea of easy fireroad climbing. Like the DHR2 on my 26" bike, so maybe that in 2.4 rear with the 2.5 DHF front.

Too much choice stresses me out

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like the Maxxis Aggressor or Vittoria Morso for you George...I'd give either of those a go. I like my DHR2 rear but it ain't half draggy for General use....You will encounter a level of climbing traction I suspect you have not previously experienced ion the GeoMetron. Even with a lightly treaded rear tyre.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Like the sound of that. Thanks (yet again) for the advice.

Actually, I had intended to email you for even more advice re the fork. Been over the video for extending to 180mm, which looks straightforward, but you had mentioned the negative spring mod also, so would lik to understand how to do that. I saw you mention elsewhere (I've reread ALL the threads ) that the fork is nominally 180mm, but in actual use is more like a 165mm fork - is it doen to the negative spring mod, or just more sag (or combinatin of the two)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge View Post
    Like the sound of that. Thanks (yet again) for the advice.

Actually, I had intended to email you for even more advice re the fork. Been over the video for extending to 180mm, which looks straightforward, but you had mentioned the negative spring mod also, so would lik to understand how to do that. I saw you mention elsewhere (I've reread ALL the threads ) that the fork is nominally 180mm, but in actual use is more like a 165mm fork - is it doen to the negative spring mod, or just more sag (or combinatin of the two)?
    I've sent you the procedure for modding the fork, baseline shock settings, and oil levels.

Fork will run to almost 180mm but you need to hit something hard! typically 170mm will be given up but the fork sits up much more than standard particularly under braking but remains supple.

If you want to really go for it, remove the springs from the seals, remove the foam rings and use slick honey or slikoleum (or similar) in the gap, also put a few cc's of float fluid between the bushes with the forks horizontal before re-fitting, they will feel like butter. Use 10W green for the absolute best performance but with a faster tail off. Use Gold for 95% of the performance but longer lasting (std service intervals) but you will notice when they go off more anyway just because of the performance when 'fresh' if you follow the above procedure.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ooooops. Tweaked trailbike time after a great day at Mojo talking Geo and experimentation and mostly building this I shall look forward finishing it overt the weekend and getting a little test in

Picked up an adjustable offset clamp and bushes to experiment with too. empirical data rather than theorising

Running the bad boy forks allows the testing of a 29 front wheel too just to add to the mix
    So 180mm front, 175mm rear, tweaks to the shocks at both ends.

This one is running a -2 headset as standard

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Finally built up, needs a few tweaks to setup but pretty much there.

May need to add a dropped top clamp, not sure yet.

Planning to add some lighter wider wheels.

Geo/key specs for this one (Fork at 180mm) are;

Size: Longest
    HA: 60.8deg
    SA: 77.2deg
    ETT: 661mm
    CS:450
    BB Height: 338mm
    Reach: 523mm
    WB: 1354mm
    Trail: 138mm
    Mechanical trail: 121mm
    Flop : 58mm
    Weight 32.3lbs/14.6kg

Bar: 800mm Atherton Pro
    Stem: 30mm Syntace (Or Mondraker 20-30mm direct mount)
    Seatpost: Fox transfer 150mm internal
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
    Headset : Superstar -2deg
    Fork: Fox 40 - 180mm - 200mm
    Rear Shock : 222 x 70, 6 spacers, 175mm travel
    Crank: Hope 165mm, 32t
    Brakes : Hope Tech3 X2 203mm rotors
    Drivetrain : XX1 10-42 Cassette/xtr mech (Goatlink)
    Wheels - Mavic CrossMax XL
    Tyres: Magic Mary 2.3 / Minion SS

Plan is to change the pedals (Xpedo Baldwin), wheels (tbc) and bars(Enve Dh) to reduce overall weight by 320g to bring it back to 31.5lb/14.3kg which I think is the best I can do and keep the mechanical integrity/ride qualities I'm after.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0036.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0038.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0039.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0041.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0043.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0044.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi the_pilot, you built a very nice bike. I was wondering whether you are still riding the GPI? If yes, do you have any new experience especially when you compare the GPI with the "normal" geometron?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Slavdo I'm still riding the GPI just not as often. Nothing new to report with it. The std bike feels more lively in trail use but that's expected it has more anti squat. It's also less tiring to pedal on a long day, that's the trade off for low maintenance. I much prefer a std trigger shift still. For where I live and ride I prefer the std bike I must confess.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out the hashtag #geolution on social media for some teasers of the new range...hardtail, big wheeler...it's almost time to bring it all together...
    If you are a geek you will see a few new parts too...

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread

And this one too

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aadm's write up is great, if youve not read it you should forum members.

Here is a really nice blog from my Italian friend who came wto the UK to pick up and test his GeoMetron to get the settings sorted.

nicolai*mojo - aadm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ray,
    It. Ight be #11 I think
    Let us know here how you like it?
    First impressions and after a week or two would be great,
    I reckon it'll grow on you pretty fast.

Low numbers honourablegeorge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ray

I think you'd be amazed at how much grip the Razor has.
    But is has to be the Supergravity TS version.
    Significantly more grip than the Spesh Slaughter (bit lacking in braking) that Loic won his big race on.
    I got caught out in rain in a chalky muddy area (South Downs) with lots of roots and the Razor fared real well. Mr Porter favours it and that means a lot.

If you need one, a super grippy rear is the Shorty 3C 2.3, it really seems to suit the Geometron on a 23-26 internal rim. Tractors up anything and braking on loam is amazing good clearance too, which you dont get with a Mary on the back.
    At FOD (damp but no rain) the Mary TS front and Shorty rear worked real well for me. For a bit less drag the Minion DHR2 in 2.3 is a great rear too.
    DHR2 rolls and brakes well IMO. A confident all rounder.

Conti's Baron Projekt works nice as a rear in intermediate wet ground. And in dry dusty rooty stuff its pretty good too. Possinbly a bit better choice than Minion DHR2 if it might get muddy.
    Tested it on the front (Shorty rear) and I found it a bit slidey, but my local mud is very slick and sticky and it wasan unexpectedly sloppy day.

Phil is right about the Mavic Charge. Lovely grippy front tyre. I need to do more testing if that against my Mary TS on the front. Instinct tells me the slightly deeper Mary tread might grip loose better. But its going to be hard to beat the Charge over roots.

So, depending on conditions
    Rear Razor/ Shorty / Conti Baron chilli
    Front : Charge / Shorty / Mary TS
    If I had only one wheelset I'd probably go with the DHR2 and Mavic Charge front.

Maxxis Aggressor EXO sounds frasgile, but DD sounds a bit "stiff" needing very low pressure, with risk orf rolling - mind my Minion DHR2 isn't double down and if C Porter recommends thatís a gold dust recommendation right there.
    wonder what the advantages over a DHR2 are, bit lighter maybe, easier perhaps?
    Review: Maxxis Aggressor 27.5? x 2.30? Tires | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

REAL MUDDY woods riding (but [not high speed as too little volume] the Spesh Storm tyre can work well, amazing clearance.

Yeah, too much choice

Am about to test the + idea with a 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby B Nic on my 34 internal carbon Derby wheel - as I've not managed to sell the wheel yet I may as well play!
    Fits in the 36 ok, for sure its not up to sidewall damaging terrain tho. Local roots might be fun, its comfy I am told. Might be bouncy, lets see. The Conti RQ / TK 2.4 chilli was good on the Derby and BIG but didn't suit my terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge View Post
    Cool... think mine wil be along a week or so later.

New Flow rims at 29mm ID are current favourites. I think the RR would just lack too much traction for me, both climbing and braking - much as I like the idea of easy fireroad climbing. Like the DHR2 on my 26" bike, so maybe that in 2.4 rear with the 2.5 DHF front.

Too much choice stresses me out
    Last edited by mudfish801; 08-01-2016 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like, rear mud clearance must be ace. 650 yeah?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Long term feedback - Still loving my Geometron Longest - and now it's even longer

I'm 6' 2.5" riding the Longest.

A year in and I am still loving the Geometron, I must say never had a real long lasting affair with a bike before. The grass has always been greener. it's not now. I did think I was happy with my Nicolai AM - until I rode one of these, IT FITS!

A couple of weeks ago I built up a new black frame with a -1 head cup from Works plus the longer travel rear end same as the_pilot. 5mm longer stays and a bigger shock this time with the Float compression lever for climbing.
    I wouldn't say the lever is necessary but it certainly feels just a touch more direct when pedalling smooth fire roads uphill. The shock still has al the standard adjustments and range so there is nothing about the lever to not like. As long as I remember to switch climb mode off before I hit the gnar, that is.

It didn't take me long to get used to riding the Geometron on my local trails last year and, even though they are tight, tree lined, and pretty flat the Geometron handles them with ease. Including the steep climbs where it's traction is amazing. Got to say itís the funnest bike I've ridden there and my XC FS 100m 29er has been hanging up since I first threw a leg over the Geometron last August..

So if you're thinking of it, don't hold back, I thought long and hard and for sure I made the right choice.

mmm, sorry managed to attach pics twice here and can't remove the smaller one!

(cross posted from: Mojo / Nicolai / Geometron, next step - "forward geometry plus"- Mtbr.com )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-geometron-2_600px.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    And this one too

If I end up divorced, it's going to be your fault

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    haha
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Ray

I think you'd be amazed at how much grip the Razor has.
    But is has to be the Supergravity TS version.
    Significantly more grip than the Spesh Slaughter (bit lacking in braking) that Loic won his big race on................
    Thanks Neil. I went for the DHF/DHR WT to start with, as I've had good success with the DHR on the 26 bike, so I figure'd I'd start with something familiar, and OCD dictates same brand front and rear. Picked up a Minion SS cheap also, so I have that for the dry days (may be kidding myself there, not seen a dry day for months......) and trail centre/hardpack sort of riding. Will probably run a Shorty up front for the winter months, and maybe a DoubleDown aggressor out back for uplift days, hopefully have a few coming up.

mtbr member
    Ray

Am about to test the + idea with a 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby B Nic on my 34 internal carbon Derby wheel - as I've not managed to sell the wheel yet I may as well play!
    Fits in the 36 ok, for sure its not up to sidewall damaging terrain tho. Local roots might be fun, its comfy I am told. Might be bouncy, lets see.
    I have 2.8 NNs front and rear on my Last Fast Forward with DT XM551 rims (40 internal) - been having great fun on the bike, but the NN on the rear has been the tricky bit - a couple of PSI too high and it loses the ability to deform arounds and crawl over stuff when climbing, too low and - well, I used 6 of those rubber anchovies irepairing it already. The grip is fantastic though, no problems as a front tyre, and "bounce" hasn't been an issue. 2.8s aren't that much wider, it's really the lower pressure (the volume) that's makign the difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok. New range is here.
    https://issuu.com/why_gbr/docs/nicol...-2017-final_x1
    They didn't quite go as far as some of us wanted with HA on 13 and 16 but easily changed still, only 1 deg shy. Couple of other things I'd have liked to see, but maybe next year.
    Brave though and shows the confidence. Team racers in Germany have been winning and getting great results since switching to the GeoMetron and of course we saw One Vsion and Jack Reading hit the top 20 in the WC DH at MSA.
    I look forward to what the press has to say at Eurobike.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I personally don't like the fact that 2017 bikes are specified with max. tire width 63,5 mm instead of previous 71,5 mm. Other than that I like the new G16 quite a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slavdo View Post
    I personally don't like the fact that 2017 bikes are specified with max. tire width 63,5 mm instead of previous 71,5 mm. Other than that I like the new G16 quite a lot.
    So a 2.5 rather than a 2.8! There is no way you'd get a genuine 2.8 in a previous gen Ion or Helius, or GPI, definitely not on something like a 34mm internal rim.

The 'new' G16 is broadly the same as the current GeoMetron? other than Boost, cable clamp and of course the changed Yoke. The other changes would have potentially given you what you mentioned above without compromising anything, maybe next year.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi all,
    it was very interesting to read your experiences with the Geometrons.
    i made an excel list where i compared my previous bikes and which kinematic characteristics i liked.
    compared this excel with some of available bikes i surprisingly came exact to the Geometron longest.

A new frame is too expensive for me but i really like the changes they did for 2017 (222 damper for 175mm travel)

So in this thread i could read about your custom (?) chainstay at 450mm. Where did you get them?
    And for your 175mm rear travel: Did you change something else or just put a 222mm damper in?

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Joey, Chris had the chainstays produced by Nicolai. The only difference with the 2017 is the trail key allows the shock change due to a 7mm change, but I would have liked to see the chainstay lengthened to 450mm on longest and XL.
    With the 450mm chainstay you just need to fit the 222x70 shock to get the travel, nothing else. I find high setting gives the best all round BB height but Low is amazing downhill.
    I also have an angleset, -1 works great with a 36.
    Msg me if you want to find a used or ex demo frame. But let me know a budget.
    I can also let you know the anticipated cost of the custom chainstay.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Joey, Chris had the chainstays produced by Nicolai. The only difference with the 2017 is the trail key allows the shock change due to a 7mm change, but I would have liked to see the chainstay lengthened to 450mm on longest and XL.
    With the 450mm chainstay you just need to fit the 222x70 shock to get the travel, nothing else. I find high setting gives the best all round BB height but Low is amazing downhill.
    I also have an angleset, -1 works great with a 36.
    Msg me if you want to find a used or ex demo frame. But let me know a budget.
    I can also let you know the anticipated cost of the custom chainstay.

What is your take on Santa Cruz saying the HA after certain point makes the fork flex too much and it intervenes with its performance.
    This was in regards to their V10 with a 40 fork. I believe the angle mentioned was 63į.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Jazzanova, I think it's bollocks. Chris said he was going to inform them of his opinions too at Fort Bill WC this year after he read the article.
    They were also limited in their ability to mod the V10 as it was basically using a production frame, they only had so much leeway to make changes so not ideal.
    On the suspension If anything the force is more parallel to the direction of travel with a slacker HA as you approach obstacles at speed going forward they don't act vertically. It flexes just as much with a steeper HA if you think about it particularly under braking again where the slacker HA works better. At low speed there is more compromise but it's not designed to spend all its life going slowly, it just depends where the compromise takes place...

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    What size would you suggest for someone 173cm?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    173cm could go Longer/M or Long/S it depends a little on how you like to ride I think.

I would recommend a Longer/M if you tend towards being quite a rider that attacks trails and likes to push. I have 'sized up' and don't regret it at all especially as my pedalling position/cockpit is the same as on the smaller size.

My good friend who is only 1cm smaller rides the Long or S as it is still longer than most XL bikes in reach and has a 620mm ETT and is very happy indeed.

There is scope to make either size slightly longer and shorter in both cockpit and reach without affecting the ride. Very few of the bikes go out as 'std' so to speak!

The best way of all to find out is to ride one of course if at all possible.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Going to pull the trigger on the argon GLF. I see the nicolai built specs with wtb trailblazer for the rear. Honestly I'm not a fan of that tire. It's not even in plus width. Will the GLF clear 2.8 Nobby Nic or maxxis recons? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just for info the Mojo GeoMetron bikes will be different to the Nicolai G16 this year.
    Chris wanted to push the boundaries further based on customer experience and feedback. These geo's have all been used on many of the customer bikes out there right now.

Key Mojo changes to 2017 model.

83mm BB and wider bearing spacing of the G19 BB. Crank std not boost to give good chainline with boost rear but also more heel clearance, increased stiffness. There wasn't an issue with the previous designs stiffness but it's a side benefit of the design.

62.5 HA referenced to 559mm a2c or 170mm fork. Giving inherent 62HA with 180mm fork and eff. 77deg SA.

Size specific CS length; 449mm for Large size.
    I'll grab the other sizes/geo but basically the S and M have 445mm CS with 420mm and 440mm ST, the L and XL have 449mm with 460mm and 480mm ST and the XXL with the ETT beginning with a 7 has a 455mm CS and 500mm ST.

All versions can use either 222 or 216 shock for 155mm or 170mm rear travel, as can the Nicolai. Both travel lengths can be set up to pedal/feel the same when pedalling.
    Sizes/terminology are

small=Long 485mm reach
    Medium= Longer 502mm reach
    Large = Longest 520mm reach
    XL = Longesterer 535mm reach
    XXL = Longesterer+ 555mm reach

*I made the last name up but the numbers are right...

I'll dig a drawing out.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    @pilot

I was wondering if there going to offer a longer travel 29? or Could you run a long travel fork and a longer stroke shock on the g13
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How do I get a GeoMetron 29er? Either from Mojo or Nicolai?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok. You can run a longer fork and longer stroke shock on the 29 according to my friends at Mojo, expect 150mm of travel, could go to 160mm front. That means an X2 (leaving aside recent publicity) at 200mm.

You can get a G13 from Mojo or Nicolai direct. If you want a full fat Mojo GeoMetron 29 as previously built you could go custom or potentially even more custom with the same mods as being made to the Mojo GeoMetron that differentiate it from the Nicolai G16 so HA, BB width etc.

If you need any help with contacts or anything just PM me and I'll sort you out.

There are also some deals available on the last few 2016 GeoMetrons from the current batch. Get in touch with Paul at Mojo on that front or again I can put you in touch.

New 29ers G13 should have landed now, I must chase mine up!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^I sent Mojo a general contact email two days ago.
    Was wondering about differences between Mojo frames and Nicolai frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So for G13 no major changes beyond the fact Mojo will likely fit a longer shock and make it slacker with a headset (to put the seat angle back) (based on my discussions) neither of which Nicolai wanted to do at this stage. We discussed 83mm BB too but G16 likely to be more distance/trail oriented than the G16/GeoMetron.

Want to try it set up with a 27.5 rear wheel but geometry corrected, wanted the chain stay yoke changing to allow this and that has changed.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So for G13 no major changes beyond the fact Mojo will likely fit a longer shock and make it slacker with a headset (to put the seat angle back) (based on my discussions) neither of which Nicolai wanted to do at this stage. We discussed 83mm BB too but G16 likely to be more distance/trail oriented than the G16/GeoMetron.

Want to try it set up with a 27.5 rear wheel but geometry corrected, wanted the chain stay yoke changing to allow this and that has changed.
    Interesting-is the idea of a G13 with 29 front/27.5 rear based on using a 29 front wheel in the standard Geometron? I have also been following the thread on STW and saw that this was something that was being tested. If so, I would be very interested to know what you have found the advantages/characteristics of such a setup to be.

The reason I ask is that I've been thinking about one of these bikes for a while, but I want more travel than the G13 (since I'll be going to the Alps a bit next year) and also don't really want to give up what I see to be the advantage of 29er wheels i.e. rollover. So I was considering a custom 29er as suggested a few posts up. But I've been wondering whether a standard Geometron/G16 with a 29er front wheel may be a good option as well. From a performance point of view, I would expect this to have the characteristics I like in long travel 29ers (i.e. carry speed well through rough ground) but with a lighter, stiffer back wheel probably accelerating better than a 29, without much loss in rollover ability since it's following along. If this is true, then I'll most likely be looking seriously at one of these as my next bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Chris Porter is riding his standard GeoMetron with a 29er front wheel for the past 6 months and now loves it. He might not tell anyone that in print, but he does.

Obviously it is reduced to 160mm travel at the front. It is a good combination and the effect of the rear having tighter turn radius than the front is the real benefit over a std 29er imho. with the rear 29er wheel not having the same benefit as the front in terms of rollover for a number of reasons.

I can feed back on the G13 when we have a bit more time on it regarding the travel but it's going to be 150mm rear.

I can find out what it does to the angles on the std bike, I'll just ask Chris to measure them, BB height and SA will be affected but not enough to make adjustment with either some shock bushes and saddle position effective. The shock bushes may be welcome anyway to get the HA nailed around the 62 mark.

I am going to try my G13 as described above so will let you know how I get on..it's just arrived in the UK

As for Mojo G16s

G16ís WK51 16 being delivered
    G16ís WK2 8 being delivered

Still a few of the 2016 Mojo bike left with great packages. 2016 bike is bonza in my view, I'm in no rush to change it.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As for Mojo G16s

G16ís WK51 16 being delivered
    G16ís WK2 8 being delivered
    I'm trying to figure out what this means. Besides 24 frames close to being in stock.

I'll be curious to hear about your take on the G13 with increased travel.

Can you post up some geo numbers for the GeoMetron 29 as well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    GeoMetron 29 is a custom bike basically but the geometry was exactly the same as for the 27.5 but with 450mm chain stays.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great information, thanks!

I hadn't considered the effect of the smaller rear wheel on turn radius until reading that but I can see how that would work, probably enough to look seriously at making one my next bike.

I've been thinking about what suspension to use on it since I have a 160 pike and ccdba, but given that the tuned Fox suspension sounds to be a large part of the characteristics of these bikes I'm thinking that could be the way to go.

The other thing is sizing-I'm 182 cm tall, had a short test ride of a Longer G13 at eurobike this year and liked the fit of that but after reading this thread again I'm thinking about the Longest. I'd be very interested to know about the deals on the 2016 G16 frames...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    At 175cm tall with the same tip to tip wingspan, which size should I be looking at?
    I rode a 17" Trek Slash 29 and loved it. Rode a Santa Cruz High Tower in large and really didn't like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    At 175cm tall with the same tip to tip wingspan, which size should I be looking at?
    I rode a 17" Trek Slash 29 and loved it. Rode a Santa Cruz High Tower in large and really didn't like it.
    You really need to try the bike to figure out which size suites your riding style better.
    I have a Large High Tower and hated it but i am currently riding a large Nicolai GPI and loving it.
    My G13 will be in X-large and i am 182cm tall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Great informations!

Tried the german siblings of the Mojo Bikes (the 1st generation Geometron Ion 16, the 2nd generation Ion-G16 and the Ion-G13) and was totally blown away.

The option of the bigger front wheel sounds promising! Rode a Liteville with this wheel combination and it was faster than the one with both wheels in 29'' size.

Would like to try to fit a plus tire on the rear to add grip on the G-16 but dont sure about the tyre clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedfactory View Post
    You really need to try the bike to figure out which size suites your riding style better.
    I have a Large High Tower and hated it but i am currently riding a large Nicolai GPI and loving it.
    My G13 will be in X-large and i am 182cm tall.
    I doubt I'll be able to throw a leg over one in the PNW.

That's what has myself leaning towards the Slash.
    I know there is way more to bike sizing than just a simple "Reach" measurement.
    My V10C is the only bike had proper time on before purchasing. All others have been blind buys, including a Chromag Surface (having never thrown a leg over a 29er)
    All this is a moot point as I haven't heard anything from Mojo so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey punky pm me your email and I'll get chris or Paul at Mojo to respond to you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Punky, I'd say a Longer/M would be spot on with a 780mm to 800mm bar.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi Morphosity,
    You are right to think of the bike as a package with the Fox suspension.
    I'd been on BOS (Vip'r or S**Toy / Idylle SC or Deville) for years with my od Spesh Enduro and then a lovely camo Nicolai AM (which I thought I'd love forever til I rode the Geometron). In the past I'd had a hard time trying to get older Fox suspension to do what I wanted so BOS was a godsend for me, but now I am totally a Fox convert (and I think Phil/chainline feels the same).
    I think Chris' tips on setup and, of course his alteration of the linkage to behave as he wants, are an intrinsic part of why I feel Fox is the way to go now. The Geometron is designed around the Fox dampers. With that geo the 36 is amazing.
    Reading occasional negative comments in reviews of other bikes with Fox dampers often surprises me until I consider that the Geometron is a full package designed by a guy who really knows suspension. I mean REALLY knows it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Morphosity,
    You are right to think of the bike as a package with the Fox suspension.
    I'd been on BOS (Vip'r or S**Toy / Idylle SC or Deville) for years with my od Spesh Enduro and then a lovely camo Nicolai AM (which I thought I'd love forever til I rode the Geometron). In the past I'd had a hard time trying to get older Fox suspension to do what I wanted so BOS was a godsend for me, but now I am totally a Fox convert (and I think Phil/chainline feels the same).
    I think Chris' tips on setup and, of course his alteration of the linkage to behave as he wants, are an intrinsic part of why I feel Fox is the way to go now. The Geometron is designed around the Fox dampers. With that geo the 36 is amazing.
    Reading occasional negative comments in reviews of other bikes with Fox dampers often surprises me until I consider that the Geometron is a full package designed by a guy who really knows suspension. I mean REALLY knows it.
    Hey, thanks! I was about to post on here anyway to thank Chainline for the advice as well, since I now have one of the 2016 frames with a 36 fork. Also Paul at Mojo was very helpful and great to deal with.

Definitely good to have some more confirmation that this is probably the best way to go though. The impression I got from reading about the suspension itself was that the X2 is a great shock (recall issues aside) with lots of adjustability, and a few people I know who have 36's rate them very highly.

Very, very impressed with the quality of the frame, even having seen quite a few Nicolais built up back in NZ-they really are art in aluminium. I'm looking forward to getting it put together soon because if it rides the way it looks like it should it's going to be awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    Hey, thanks! I was about to post on here anyway to thank Chainline for the advice as well, since I now have one of the 2016 frames with a 36 fork. Also Paul at Mojo was very helpful and great to deal with.

Definitely good to have some more confirmation that this is probably the best way to go though. The impression I got from reading about the suspension itself was that the X2 is a great shock (recall issues aside) with lots of adjustability, and a few people I know who have 36's rate them very highly.

Very, very impressed with the quality of the frame, even having seen quite a few Nicolais built up back in NZ-they really are art in aluminium. I'm looking forward to getting it put together soon because if it rides the way it looks like it should it's going to be awesome!
    Having you found time to put it together? Cant wait for pictures!

Think im choosing the X2 too! But unsure if i choose the G13 custom (as Paul from Mojo's rides it) which will fit the X2 or the Geometron 29 with 10mm more travel at the rear!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    Having you found time to put it together? Cant wait for pictures!

Think im choosing the X2 too! But unsure if i choose the G13 custom (as Paul from Mojo's rides it) which will fit the X2 or the Geometron 29 with 10mm more travel at the rear!
    Yes, it's mostly together now, although I still need to set it up properly and do a few more minor things to it before seeing how it rides-looking forward to that! (Actually I'm looking forward to next summer to take it to some real mountains...)

Anyway, the pictures...

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-side-view.jpg
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-front-view.jpg

It's quite slack, the sketchy angle finder app on my phone says it has a 61 deg HA. I'm surprised how natural the riding position feels-not stretched out at all. The saddle is too far forward in those pictures, I'll move it 15mm or so back. Also I'll probably end up changing the bars to reduce the number of stem spacers if nothing else.

Weight (not that I'm too worried about that) is 33 lbs as pictured. That's with super gravity casing tyres, heavy Time pedals, Zee brakes, which are all parts I want on this bike. It would be easy to cut weight via carbon bars, cranks, etc but I'm not convinced that the weight saving:cost (and maybe durability) ratio is worth it right now.

I was also thinking about the Geometron 29 and the G13 options, certainly the standard G13 I saw at Eurobike seemed like it would be a nice bike.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think there is a lot of merit to the geometron concept - I've always felt more comfortable on longer bikes and never felt the slack HA to impede climbing or tight cornering. My current bikes are a Chromag Stylus and Knolly Chilcotin. I'll be looking to update the Chromag this year. For those unfamiliar, it is a pretty aggressive and heavy duty hardtail with a 66 HA. I use the Chromag for pretty much everything, including dirt jumping. I am specifically curious to hear any experience on how the long and slack geometry works with jumps. I get it that its not a dedicated dirt jumper/slope style bike - and I am not an expert jumper but its one area of my riding I really want to improve. My expectation is that it will be fine until the jumps faces start getting very short, steep and abrupt relative to the bike's wheelbase. any thoughts, or better yet, direct experience?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I finally got around to test riding my Geometron this afternoon on my local trail. It's pretty much everything I thought it would be so I'm very happy with it. It's awesome downhill, feels very planted and stable, and seems to carve through corners really well. I like the centred riding position, it lets you weight the wheels to control sliding nicely. It also felt very stable over the small jumps that I tried.

It also climbs really well, as others have said. That centred riding position is great for that too.

I was also happy with how it behaved in low speed tight corners-i.e. small chute to tight right angle corner. Not really any more difficult than my previous bike ('14 WFO) to deal with. I'll admit that it does have a bit of "chopper flop" that was noticeable going really slowly (turning at a t-junction on pavement, not on trail) but given how well it rides everywhere else I'm more than happy to accept that. And I've owned or used other bikes that also did this at least as much.

As one of the other reviews (pretty sure it was the one on Pinkbike) said, it's pretty much a short travel DH bike that can be pedalled. I'd be quite happy taking it on a trail ride, which is fortunate since it's going to be my only mountain bike for the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah i experienced the same awesome centred riding position which lets you feel safer than i'm used to it (usually while riding to short bikes which reaches around 460) and on the 'negative' site you will be more faster when you hit something cause you don't feel the speed like before anymore. You do 30mph in a blink of an eye. Especially on the G13 which speeds up in an mindblowing way compared to other 29ers!

You soon get used to riding hairpin bends as i was after the third one in Trailground Brilon! It needs only a slight modification in riding towards the bend!

I think the Mojo Geometron is even better suited to trail riding than the Ion-G16 which is a mini downhill bike in comparison and makes the Ion-G19 feel even 'too much'!

I'm still unsure if to take the 29 Geometron or the Ion-G13 with custom frame to suit the Float X!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    Yeah i experienced the same awesome centred riding position which lets you feel safer than i'm used to it (usually while riding to short bikes which reaches around 460) and on the 'negative' site you will be more faster when you hit something cause you don't feel the speed like before anymore. You do 30mph in a blink of an eye. Especially on the G13 which speeds up in an mindblowing way compared to other 29ers!

You soon get used to riding hairpin bends as i was after the third one in Trailground Brilon! It needs only a slight modification in riding towards the bend!

I think the Mojo Geometron is even better suited to trail riding than the Ion-G16 which is a mini downhill bike in comparison and makes the Ion-G19 feel even 'too much'!

I'm still unsure if to take the 29 Geometron or the Ion-G13 with custom frame to suit the Float X!
    Yes, I can definitely see how that would happen! Having thought about this more, what surprised me the most about the bike was how natural it felt to ride, considering it's very different to most other bikes out there. I'm looking forward to getting it set up properly soon.

I guess deciding on which frame would depend on the riding you plan to use the bike for. Personally if I was spending the extra for custom I'd probably go for a 29 Geometron since the bikes seem to pedal well and big wheels aren't really a substitute for travel, especially (IMO) for this sort of bike which will see a lot of jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LWK View Post
    I get it that its not a dedicated dirt jumper/slope style bike - and I am not an expert jumper but its one area of my riding I really want to improve. My expectation is that it will be fine until the jumps faces start getting very short, steep and abrupt relative to the bike's wheelbase. any thoughts, or better yet, direct experience?
    I assume you're considering an Argon GLF if you're going to update the Chromag.

For what it's worth (since dirt jumping isn't something I do much of) I think you're right-I'd expect the bike would be fine until the jumps got short and steep. But for dirt jumping there are probably better bikes-it could be a case for n+1?

From the few little jumps I've tried on my bike I get the impression it's a lot like jumping any other long bike (i.e. a DH bike or maybe some of the longer enduro bikes)-i.e. it tracks well, but would take more effort to move around in the air than a shorter bike. I'd expect the Argon to be somewhat similar but obviously without the rear suspension effect.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    I assume you're considering an Argon GLF if you're going to update the Chromag.

For what it's worth (since dirt jumping isn't something I do much of) I think you're right-I'd expect the bike would be fine until the jumps got short and steep. But for dirt jumping there are probably better bikes-it could be a case for n+1?

From the few little jumps I've tried on my bike I get the impression it's a lot like jumping any other long bike (i.e. a DH bike or maybe some of the longer enduro bikes)-i.e. it tracks well, but would take more effort to move around in the air than a shorter bike. I'd expect the Argon to be somewhat similar but obviously without the rear suspension effect.
    ha, yes, update the Chromag with a GLF. I think I would agree with you. I realized after I typed the question I kind of answered it myself - its likely not to be much different from any other "bigger" bike. A DH bike can obviously be jumped - but you are probably not going to use it at the dirt jump park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Argon GLF can be jumped but i think it's a much more better allrounder for trailriding or even enduro like the Last Fastforward!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Custom G13 is effectively a Custom GeoMetron that Chris produced last year. Paul at Mojo has a custom G13 with an X2 running about 150mm rear travel and he loves it.

I personally think the Mojo GeoMetron in 170mm guise has the most flexibility as one bike being able to run 29 front/180 front/170 rear etc with just a touch more DH capability, but the !3 custom 150mm is so close and probably a slightly better long distance bike.
    I think it does come down to wheel preference here really.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member

Argon GLF build

Sharing my Nicolai argon GLF in small.. Plussed and loving it. 3.0 nobby Nic and raceface arc 35 rims with onyx hubs

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-20170117_051411.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That suits the plus look. nice.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Chainline, is that a 29 f 650 r? Looks really good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Punky,

I have been having a think about sizing and a new number that I have been playing with is Seat / Bar (or steerer if you want to take the stem out of the equation). Basically measure from the top of your seat at XC height on seat post centreline to the centre of your bars. You can then compare this to other bikes with a similar seat height.

Reach is good for standing so it's a balance between the two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No 27.5/27.5. I'm going to fit a 29 to the front of mine this week. I'll post a picture.
    Last edited by the_pilot; 01-24-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Chainline - As I see it Enduro and DH bikes are getting similar in terms of geometry (nothing an angleset wouldn't resolve). Maybe we will get.to a point where they are the same with different components?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No argument from me. I don't see any longer why there is any difference between DH, Enduro or just general trail or even XC in terms of key geometry parameters around HA, SA.
    I can understand why some people might want a shorter bike if that is their preference, I can understand why some people might want shorter chainstays, again if that is their preference but proportionally I think they should be complimentary but in terms of HA/SA I cant see why any of those disciplines, for mtb would be different if the goal of a mtb is to be able to climb and descend efficiently, to be stable when encountering obstacles but to be responsive when deliberate steering input is applied. Why wouldn't you have a sub 63deg HA and 77deg SA on a XC bike with a very short stem, although the latter then does begin to increase WB to accommodate the rider which makes for a longer bike bike I think we have established it isn't a barrier to overall agility. Using very short CS has some impacts on handling/forgiveness at the limit in order to provide 'playfullness', the most desirable trait is up for debate there and down to rider preference/skill level I think. There can't be a right/wrong answer for the latter. It's the big difference between motorbikes (and perhaps increasingly e bikes) and bikes whereby the relative mass of the rider Vs the bike is significant. The heavier the bike and the less reliant on human power the less significant the effect of the rider and his position in determining it's handling characteristics?
    I'll probably have to read that back with a pint after a break to make sure it still makes sense!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Sorry for the slight hijack on the thread but you guys are at the forefront of bike geometry as such thought it would be relevant.

I completely agree that the geometry for XC to DH should be relatively similar. This is something I like about the Geometrons and Poles (who I understand are heavily influenced by CP). I guess the industry in general is scared to push things too far and it's going to take another 5 or so years for all to catch up.

Interesting you bring up MX bikes as they must be one of the most versatile off road vehicles and have a 1489mm WB and 63 degree HA (CRF250) which seems to be where you guys are heading.

I guess the stopwatch will decide at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It was where the original basis came from, why is the mtb different to my motorbike...well there are clearly some reasons in suspension etc but otherwise...

Ah, the stopwatch, I'm not totally down with that, Chris is. It's still got to be fun or feel good, that means different things to different people, I think we have a ways to go before world domination ;-)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The stopwatch and multiple runs is the only scientific way of determining if one bike or setup is faster than another.

I get what you mean about fun. That's why I still ride a hardtail which is perfect for my local trails in Surrey. Funfactor is hard to put a number on though where speed is easy.

On another note are Nicolai looking to do a G13 with a Pinion? Given you have ridden both (Pinion and Mech) is the Pinion that much better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have an interesting project on the go at the moment for a proper kids/youngster/smaller person bike, well specced and built light (fit for purpose) but fully featured and capable with no compromises.

Have been looking for a while as I have two young daughters that ride and a 5" tall wife. Always struggle with standover heights vs top tube lengths and compromised geometry or travel etc.

Have been adapting an older Orange 5 Diva long for my daughter and my wife uses a S Knolly Warden but there are still compromises especially using a short stem.
    Wanted to do a bike that gave all the confidence and forgiveness the GeoMetron does and not compromise on standover or travel etc.

Looking at 4'9"/145cm up to about 5'5"/ 165cm. Super low ST/Stanadover for 125/150mm dropper posts, no compromises on rear travel or suspension. Plenty of Flexibility/adjustment - wheelsize/front fork spec/travel and to an extent reach,

Headlines
    145mm-160mm rear travel,
    160mm to 180mm front travel
    350mm ST
    668mm standover (27.5 wheels/2..35 tyres) lower with 26" or 26/27.5

Trail to DH use.

Target weight is 28lbs for a kids/younger persons package. Frame/shock packages will be available, frame/fork/shock and full bikes. The latter focussed on a balance of performance for the youngsters but this is a full blown GeoMetron with all the attendant features, chainstay length adjustment, shock flexibility etc.

a few tweaks to the spec shown here but pretty much there.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-mojo-g16-notsolong.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's a little update, but it is an important one....but I'll leave it out there...it's kinda ace😎

The 2017/current Mojo GeoMetron G16 will happily run either 27.5 or 29 or 29/27.5 wheels.

If using 29 wheels then 160mm Fox 36 at the front is recommended, it can be modded by Mojo to run slightly longer but with the big neg chamber OR the 40 at 170mm.

At the rear either travel option can be used in the same way as 27.5 wheels by using a different shock. Alternatively as we did with the 170mm original long travel and can be done with either current setups, you can set up the progression of the rear with spacers to replicate the feel of a shorter travel bike e.g 140mm for the 155mm or 150mm for the 170mm.
    Similar set up can be done to the front if you want but set up properly it shouldn't need reducing in travel!

You can further tune that feel with the selection of the front sprocket if needed.

With the 29 wheels it lifts the BB to approx 350mm (does depend on your tyre's dia.) which is where I felt the G13 should have been( although the same dual travel option also didn't materialise which was part of the reason) to aid braking through better weight transfer and reduce 'push' and give improved side to side agility I.e reducing the BB drop. In quick transfers (I think this is an issue with 29's from experience as far back as the slack AC29e (see other posts)

If you don't like the higher BB one or two offset shock bushes deliver approx 5mm BB drops to return to the 27.5 geo. With approx. the same SA as the G13.
    Without them it has the steeper SA of the G16 (which I also wanted on the G13)

As stock you get the 62 HA with the 29 as with the 27.5 180mm fork, which is nice with the increased offset.

With the shock bushes it comes down to 61.5 or 61deg which works great with the 29/27.5 combo,

The 27.5 gives better rear suspension performance (all things being equal and the 27.5 having lower spring weight) and is likely quicker overall 'doonhall ' however some may prefer full 29 for general duties and pedalling feel..you can choose👍

Any questions let me know.
    Last edited by the_pilot; 02-26-2017 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Whoa!

Maybe I didn't read this clearly enough. The 170mm rear travel option only works with a 27.5 wheel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think you probably read it clearly. 170mm works with either 29 or 27.5 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Wow, perhaps a look into the future...

One bike that (with a few mods) can fit both wheel sizes and have the correct geometry for both. It is similar in a way to what Dirt did with the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice tour from Vincent. Doesnt quite explain the delays being experienced, but hey, 1st world problems.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...2zSl6UFVAg4y_Q
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hello folks, I'm looking to replace my current 160mm enduro rig, I've always much preferred long bikes coming from a moto background. The new bike will be used purely for downhill and trips to morzine but does need to be able to climb to a certain degree. Is this the sort of riding you would say the geometron excels at? I keep looking at it then thinking maybe it looks a bit numb for jumping but curiosity keeps me returning to it as a contender. Also been looking at the poles too. I've got a 29er trail bike so just want more firepower for big days on big hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    GeoMetron does excel at that riding but you might easily find yourself using for much more....It climbs better than almost anything out there on technical trails, the limit will be your lactic threshold! it climbs great anyway but some use the climbs switch for long boring ascents.

Did you see my sub 32lb 40 equipped one above..

jumping, erm, no problem...Jack reading seems fine!

Obviously most people run 36's. it's designed really to run them at 180mm.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-fullsizerender.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Have an interesting project on the go at the moment for a proper kids/youngster/smaller person bike, well specced and built light (fit for purpose) but fully featured and capable with no compromises.

Have been looking for a while as I have two young daughters that ride and a 5" tall wife. Always struggle with standover heights vs top tube lengths and compromised geometry or travel etc.

Have been adapting an older Orange 5 Diva long for my daughter and my wife uses a S Knolly Warden but there are still compromises especially using a short stem.
    Wanted to do a bike that gave all the confidence and forgiveness the GeoMetron does and not compromise on standover or travel etc.

Looking at 4'9"/145cm up to about 5'5"/ 165cm. Super low ST/Stanadover for 125/150mm dropper posts, no compromises on rear travel or suspension. Plenty of Flexibility/adjustment - wheelsize/front fork spec/travel and to an extent reach,

Headlines
    145mm-160mm rear travel,
    160mm to 180mm front travel
    350mm ST
    668mm standover (27.5 wheels/2..35 tyres) lower with 26" or 26/27.5

Trail to DH use.

Target weight is 28lbs for a kids/younger persons package. Frame/shock packages will be available, frame/fork/shock and full bikes. The latter focussed on a balance of performance for the youngsters but this is a full blown GeoMetron with all the attendant features, chainstay length adjustment, shock flexibility etc.

a few tweaks to the spec shown here but pretty much there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mojo G16 notsolong.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	1121643
    I would be interested in this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I would be interested in this.
    It's already in train, bike due early May, will test it for a short while with my daughter and some other riders of varying abilities from smaller Enduro racers and 'normal' trail riders, men and women to get feedback, both kids with a 34 and adults with a 34/36. Probably won't put the 40 on it but it can take it if someone wanted to DH the bike!

We do have a drawing for a piggy back version but it's 20mm higher standover, probably only make that available as a custom.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    GeoMetron does excel at that riding but you might easily find yourself using for much more....It climbs better than almost anything out there on technical trails, the limit will be your lactic threshold! it climbs great anyway but some use the climbs switch for long boring ascents.

Did you see my sub 32lb 40 equipped one above..

jumping, erm, no problem...Jack reading seems fine!

Obviously most people run 36's. it's designed really to run them at 180mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	1123950
    Yep, saw your 40 equipped rig and got a semi on!

Just spoke to Paul at mojo about A 40 Equipped 170mm frame. Given that I'm 72kg ish and running 4 orange spacers in my 36's then the 40s look the way to go. I'm going to arrange a test ride when I get chance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    chuffing hell 4 orange. thats progressive!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That's on the yeti when I'm playing on dh tracks. I struggle with balancing sag and small bump compliance against bottom out on steep stuff without them. If I run 2 then I end up either running them with hardly any sag or bottoming out on big/ hard landings. For general trail riding I'm finding 2 orange and a blue works fine on the push tuned 29er forks. I don't profess to be a particularly great rider so lack of finesse may be a contributing factor to requiring a more progressive set-up. When I used to do a bit of trials riding as a kid, a mate who was a really good rider used to laugh at me and say that if he was as crap on a bike as me he wouldn't try half the stuff I did. Back handed compliment..... Probably translates to my mtb technique too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I sent Mojo another email...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am planing to buy geometron// g16
    Which one is better? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Punky, because you didn't get a response to one or renewed interest?

Garnetchu, for me The Mojo GeoMetron G16, no question, but I would say that as it has the modifications Chris and I wanted, namely the BB, bearing spacing and the HA changes which also facilitate more easily the wheel size choices.
    Both great bikes, not sure I'd use the word better, but the mojo version has certain advantages if you are a hard rider.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    had time to think about t more. The new changes are excellent. And I have follow up questions to my original questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    [QUOTE=the_pilot;12727356]Finally built up, needs a few tweaks to setup but pretty much there.

May need to add a dropped top clamp, not sure yet.

Planning to add some lighter wider wheels.

Geo/key specs for this one (Fork at 180mm) are;

Size: Longest
    HA: 60.8deg
    SA: 77.2deg
    ETT: 661mm
    CS:450
    BB Height: 338mm
    Reach: 523mm
    WB: 1354mm
    Trail: 138mm
    Mechanical trail: 121mm
    Flop : 58mm
    Weight 32.3lbs/14.6kg

Bar: 800mm Atherton Pro
    Stem: 30mm Syntace (Or Mondraker 20-30mm direct mount)
    Seatpost: Fox transfer 150mm internal
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
    Headset : Superstar -2deg
    Fork: Fox 40 - 180mm - 200mm
    Rear Shock : 222 x 70, 6 spacers, 175mm travel
    Crank: Hope 165mm, 32t
    Brakes : Hope Tech3 X2 203mm rotors
    Drivetrain : XX1 10-42 Cassette/xtr mech (Goatlink)
    Wheels - Mavic CrossMax XL
    Tyres: Magic Mary 2.3 / Minion SS

Plan is to change the pedals (Xpedo Baldwin), wheels (tbc) and bars(Enve Dh) to reduce overall weight by 320g to bring it back to 31.5lb/14.3kg which I think is the best I can do and keep the mechanical integrity/ride qualities I'm after./QUOTE]

Hi the _pilot, I'm currently speccing up my geometron build and wondered if I could pick your brains on a couple of items?
    I notice you are running 165mm cranks. Have you run 165s on other bikes or just this one and what are your thoughts? I'm 5'10 also but long in the body with 30.5 to 31" legs. I,veg often wondered about trying shorter cranks but as all my bikes have come with 175s this is what I've stuck with. I do struggle to maintain a high cadence and as such have found an AB oval ring makes a noticeable difference with my slow spin style.
    What do you think about the 29 front 27.5 rear configuration? I've been riding 29ers for years but new to the idea of uplift and more gravity based riding so don't have much experience of 29ers vs 27.5 in that area. Would you say the extra roll over of the 29er offsets the reduction in travel against 27.5 for steeper more aggressive terrain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pigglet.
    I have ridden 165s for a while now. Used to ride 170's. Used to spin but I'm definitely slower cadence now. I can't honestly say I have ever really noticed switching. I rode 175 cranks on Dundaybon the G13 and didn't really notice🙈

On 29 front. Chris Porter Loves the 29 front. I don't have enough experience yet. I reserve judgement.
    You can have 180mm travel (not officially) on the 29. Using 180mm 27.5 upper and 29 arch. I have such a combo on the way....of course you can only then have 44mm offset but that isn't a bad thing with 'turbo charged' steering due to flop. Chris would like a lower offset option on his 40 with the 29 (you can run the 40 at 170mm with a 29 front.

I am still a massive fan of the 27.5 but open to testing the 29. I'm waiting for a wheel build at the moment and a 2017 frame.

I'll post some pics in the various configurations.
    The 29/27.5 makes a lot of scientific sense.
    From Sunday it is the smoother high Frequency bump trails that benefit the 29 in terms f speed/roll, but it's very slight and the gnarr reverts to the suspension travel advantage as well as rapid direction changes. Very noticeable Sunday with G13 VS G16 on the same tracks.
    I'll see if I can get Porter to articulate something on his feelings about the 29 front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the response. I'm happy to build up a 27.5 and 29 front wheel if it's relatively easy to swap between the 2 to evaluate which works best for me but I won't have chance to do that before going to the alps so trying to gauge which option will be best for that environment. I might try a shorter crank for better clearance and see if I notice any difference. Getting all excited now, I love faffing around and experimenting so looking forward to playing with something that's quite a bit different to the norm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is the FLOAT 40 air spring the same as the 36 air spring now? Or is reducing the travel done by other means?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thinking which shock is better for g16
    Bos void // void2
    Float x2

Both size are 222

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fox 40 is travel managed using a formula for the pos/neg springs and setting them individually to suit. Different to the the 36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast