Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnetchu View Post
    Thinking which shock is better for g16
    Bos void // void2
    Float x2

Both size are 222
    I have a Bos Void Air on my V10C. Nice shock, seal kit and rebuild cost is lower than a X2. Unsure if Bos is still a company? Looking to try a X2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi,

I will buy a used geometron longer soon, and I would like to know if it is better a fox float x prepared mojo or a fox float x2 not prepared.(or vivid air and cane creek db air).
    This will be my do it all bike (downhill, bike park and all mountain)
    Is it possible to put a damper in 222x70mm like the g16 to have 175 mm of travel?

best regards
    nicolas

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I have a Bos Void Air on my V10C. Nice shock, seal kit and rebuild cost is lower than a X2. Unsure if Bos is still a company? Looking to try a X2
    I had a void on my Ion. I didn't like it as much as the X2 I must confess, I struggled not with getting the air chamber right for me. Good shock though.
    GeoMetron was designed around the X2 if that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It depend on the version whip. The used GeoMeteon if it is before the 2017 range requires longer chainstays to fit the 222 shock.
    Chris P did still have some. They can be ordered From Nicolai or you can try and find the few that have been modded.
    Depending on the size you want I know where there is one (frsmeset) that may be for sale with the Longer rear already installed.
    The guy loves the bike but because of some specific requirements he has mainly around his riding style he wants to return to the slightly shorter chainstay and to size down to a Longer version of the same bike but not lose the advantages of the overall length and feel of the bike for him. His bike is a Longest(L) so would suit someone between 178cm and up to 190 ish cm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks the pilot.
    my future geometron is 2016.
    do you know the price of longer chainstay from mojo?
    so a float X2 standard is better than a float X evol prepared by mojo if i understand well ( sorry i'm french)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For the longer travel bike I would say so. A Mojo Float X is a great shock however.
    I'll ask about the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    tanks a lot the pilot

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    I had a void on my Ion. I didn't like it as much as the X2 I must confess, I struggled not with getting the air chamber right for me. Good shock though.
    GeoMetron was designed around the X2 if that helps.
    X2 was vapourware when I picked up the Void. If it hadn't been for the price I likely would have gone a different route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So for G13 no major changes beyond the fact Mojo will likely fit a longer shock and make it slacker with a headset (to put the seat angle back) (based on my discussions) neither of which Nicolai wanted to do at this stage. We discussed 83mm BB too but G16 likely to be more distance/trail oriented than the G16/GeoMetron.

Want to try it set up with a 27.5 rear wheel but geometry corrected, wanted the chain stay yoke changing to allow this and that has changed.
    Talking to Nicolai right now on ordering.
    If you wanted to go 29/27.5 Mixer what base would be best to start from?
    Longer shocked G13 (will Nicolai do this?) or G16 with longer CS/SS?

I am getting a XL version of either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Pilot, have you tried a coil in the Geometron? If so what are your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    Pilot, have you tried a coil in the Geometron? If so what are your thoughts.
    I havent I'm afraid. But I am reliably informed by those who have and do that it works very well. Obviously they are more gravity focussed peeps than I.
    Aka chainline...

yet another stupid german
    I see a G-16 in my very near future... what size do you think @189cm?
    thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Raschaa depends a little on your riding style/desires. You would be good on a Longest/Large or an XL.. if you feel you may want to 'play' more or mess about on the back wheel then Longest would be better for all round duties I suspect, so normal riding as well as very committed riding.
    If when you ride it you will always be pushing for speed and always commited then the XL could work for you.
    Both will fit in terms of cockpit but will have a slightly different feel to you as you (like me) are anheight that easily spans either size depending on preference.
    I would expect you to prefer the Longest as an all rounder.

Excellent answer, thanks!
    Pretty much confirms my thoughts. Seeing that I have a full-on DH bike the G-16 would replace my Ion 16 as my do-it-all bike, meaning everything from relaxed all day rides to local enduro races. I was just slightly confused because my 1st gen. Ion16 (26") in L is way to small for me and a right pia on long rides...

cheers

Hey,

just had an interesting idea... what about if I ordered an L and asked to have the longer XL chainstays? Whata ya think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think 445mm is long enough for a Longer and you have the adjustable chainstay to 450mm if you want. I wouldn't, but it is your bike😉
    You going to buy the Nicolai version or the Mojo version?

We're a >300 member gravity oriented mtb club with a sponsoring deal with Nicolai so I will obviously be ordering directly at N

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clearly they are different as Nicolai chose not to produce the specification Mojo wanted in any of the G13, G16 or G19 models, which is of course their choice.
    Aka chainline...

I really would love a full mojo built 16 but I don't have the coin for that.... and in the greater scheme of things the geolution Nics are still very forward-thinking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Have been order G16
    with FOX x2 222
    160mm FOX 36

still looking a wheel
    Hope 35W pro4
    //
    DT wheels

any suggestion

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excellent Why 160mm Fox 36 Garnetchu? Why not the 180mm if you will run 175mm rear? I guess perhaps you already have the 160mm.

If that is the case, and it is the Nicolai version, I recommend fitting a -1 degree Cane Creek angleset with the EC56 lower cup for the best feeling. That should give you around 62-62.5 HA and a 338mm-340mm BB
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am order the Nicolai ver
    The 160mm fork is come from my old ion 16, hahaha, trying to sell it so hard in 2nd hand market, haha

Is it fit to install the 180mm fork in g16?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The 180mm is the best length in the G16 and with a -1 headset installed. But I would use a Works components one so the lower cup is ZS and the upper is EC.

It's still great without a -1 angleset, but even better in my opinion with it.

But if you use the 160mm fork, you want an External lower as I mentioned.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Seeking the wheel for my g16 any suggestions 🙂?
    Hope w35 look new and wide
    180mm//170mm Fox36, 222 Float x2

Hope Tech 35W-Pro 4 | Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England

Hope Tech Enduro ? Pro 4 | Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My personal opinion is that wider isn't better on a GeoMetron as you lean this bike more. It feels different. However some People like it. I changed my Derby's to run narrower 26-30mm internal width rims as I feel the steering and agility is better but grip is not compromised due to the geometry and suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Plan for myself is to run at max. 30mm internal width rims on the G16. But I'm in the 70kg category. And current rims are 30 and 33mm external width...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    sorry for a stupid question, is the g16 222 float x2 come with a climb switch? or only the 215 size

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My personal opinion is that wider isn't better on a GeoMetron as you lean this bike more. It feels different. However some People like it. I changed my Derby's to run narrower 26-30mm internal width rims as I feel the steering and agility is better but grip is not compromised due to the geometry and suspension.
    Interesting. I tried some Ibis 942's on a ripley last year and I found that the wider rim with a more rounded tyre encouraged me to lean the bike further. I was thinking 30mm dt's until I saw the 35mm hopes, may hang fire on that decision for the time being.

Have you had chance to try the 29er front yet?

I've booked a room near Bike Park Wales and am driving down to demo a GeoMetron with 40's and hopefully both 29er and 27.5 front wheels next Tuesday so really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A few pics to brighten up the day

Current project, 2017, not finished yet. 27.5/29 setup. Will be using both the 40 and a 36 I think.
    Need to fit the crank, tune the fork for 175mm travel and balance the stantion position with offset bushes to get the BB to 338mm.

All the other set up is my standard apart from the bar is a little high at present (will change when I've made the adjustments)

Rider height 178cm

BarEnd to BB - 915mm
    Centre of seatpost/saddle to centre of bar 680mm
    Stem 30mm
    Bar 800mm with ESIs
    Bar height 1110mm (Target back to 1070mm)
    BB - currently 343mm, planned 338mm
    Rear travel 155mm/175mm Front travel 175mm (29 wheel)
    Magic Mary in the front with 3mm clearance to arch
    Rear wheel Stans Bravo 32h built onto Hope Boost hub with CX-rays
    Front Wheel Enve AM built onto Hope hub, 20mm axle, CX-rays
    HA 61.3deg
    SA 76.5 deg
    CS set at 445mm currently (adjustable to 450mm)

I will likely also run this with the 29 e-bike 36 with the stiffer crowm but 27.5 uppers and 29 lowers for longer travel as a comparison.

You can see here the

Name:  IMG_0837.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  23.2 KB

Adjustable chainstay
    Name:  IMG_0832.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  26.8 KB

New one piece CNC Yoke but with 83mm BB and wide bearing spacing
    Name:  IMG_0833.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  24.6 KB

Through machining detail
    Name:  IMG_0834.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  26.5 KB

Tyre clearance with 2.35 minion on 27mm internal rim
    Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  24.3 KB

Tyre clearance on rear wheel at the front, room for the 29 wheel if desired.
    Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  22.9 KB

Bike, sans crank
    Name:  IMG_0847.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  28.1 KB
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice.
    Are you using angled headset cups to get that HTA, offset bushings, or is that the HTA with a 40 and 27.5/29 wheels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's the angle before I go anywhere near it with bushes😊 It's partly due to the 29 front wheel and partly 40's. Because I have the stantions and travel high as it is there and the extra 12mm or so of 29 wheel.
    The stock HA is 62 with a 180mm 36. Lifting it 12mm takes a bit(not a lot) off that to around 61.5 and my a2c is slightly higher than 569mm. When I'm done adjusting the BB and the fork it should be around 61deg, the same as with the long travel 29 36 fork or a 27.5 with a -1. I like it around 61.

The SA will be a hair under 76 so I may take the saddle slightly foreward to compensate too.

So while waiting for the folks at N to weld my frame (eta = week 26) I picked up a set of I9 Enduro Carbon wheels with orange hubs/spokes to compliment the orange ano parts on the G16...

Seeing that I cannot salvage my 2x10 drive from the Ion16 I figured I'd go straight to Eagle 1x12. Do I need a boost crankset? As far as I can tell the X01 Cranks sold as boost just have a different chainring offset. Can somebody confirm that?

I will be installing my XFusion Metric (a2c 570mm @ 180mm) and my XFusion Vector HLR Air (216mm) with a custom made air can with massive neg. chamber. Will pick up a 222mm shock when the Budget allows. I really would like to try that Extreme Shox Storia...

Comments welcome
    ra

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Still waiting my g16 and Just received my fork today
    I have a same question is I need to buy the boost ring?
    MMY thing transfer from my ion16
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_6072.jpg  

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_6071.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You do need a boost ring for the Nicolai version assuming you haven't special ordered Mojo spec.
    To be clear: If you have the 73mm BB, you only need a boost chainring (particularly if it is spider less), not a boost crankset. Only the chainring is offset by 3mm.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The same reply to Garnetchu.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Had a demo day at bike park wales yesterday on a Longer geometron with 40's running 27.5 wheels. Completely blown away with how the bike rode.
    I've never had so much confidence in the front end of a bike before! Just ride the front and let the back end do it's own thing. I couldn't stop smiling all day. I don't think I've ever been able to ride new trails blind in in such a committed way as this bike let me. Complete revelation!!! The 40's worked great for me too. Due to the inability to run a Dfender with the 29er front in the 40's that idea is on hold for the time being, may try the e bike 36's on the front at some point but for my immediate needs the 27.5 40 equipped bike is the ticket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excellent Pigglet13, always like it when a plan comes together. You clearly clicked early with the changes to how to ride it, some people naturally want to ride that way, me being one of them.

I'm less worried about the defender at the moment. I'm going to try a Mavic Charge, one of my favourite 27.5 tyres on the front in 29 form as the profile is slightly lower than a MM. I'm also going to try the e-bike fork with the 180mm 27.5 uppers on 44 offset. pretty easy to swop lowers for wheel size then as mentioned.

It'd be nice to have a 29er 40, boost with a 20mm axle.....or even a triple clamp 36.. anyone interested in a triple clamp 36 at around 2kg weight with bigger air chambers a la 40. I am having sampled the advantages of a 40 [hatches evil plan....]
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Funnily I didn't adapt my riding at all, I just got on it and rode in pretty much the same way as I always do but without having to worry about front end tuck. I guess that's why on my "little" bikes I've been running 4 orange volume spacers!
    I think Tobie was amused by my enthusiasm coupled with a very average skill set and the tail happy antics that resulted.

What a piece of kit! And as for the 40's....... supple doesn't even do them justice. Finally found a bike that suits my riding and just lets me concentrate on riding rather than constantly trying to position my body in a way that's either not going to have me going over the bars or not going to have me un loading the front. Total revelation.

Cant wait to get one and see what difference it makes to my more technical home trails.

I can forsee a G13 29er for my everyday trail bike duties in the future too.

I see what you mean about grip, with weight in the correct place it's there in spades, way more than I've experienced before. Granted it was bone dry and on man made trails but I wouldn't have dared ride my existing bike the way the Geometron let me.

My existing 29er was a big leap from my smaller older bike but the Geometron is on another level.

Having switched to 36's for general trail/XC riding and loved the extra stiffness, the 40's just seemed an even bigger step in the right direction for relatively little weight trade off. I'll happily take the extra weight for the way they ride.

Still buzzing from yesterday and my MTB eureka moment!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sweet!

I'd be interested in a 36 triple clamp. I don't believe Boost is needed. I've had no issue with the bolt on axle of the 36s on my 29er hardtail trail bike. The Dorado and MRP fork work with 29ers.
    Im undecided on tire selection; go with my standard DHRII up front, or a Shorty(3mm arch clearance with Magic Mary is concerning), or try a Mavic or Michelin tires.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sweet!

I'd be interested in a 36 triple clamp. I don't believe Boost is needed. I've had no issue with the bolt on axle of the 36s on my 29er hardtail trail bike. The Dorado and MRP fork work with 29ers.
    Im undecided on tire selection; go with my standard DHRII up front, or a Shorty(3mm arch clearance with Magic Mary is concerning), or try a Mavic or Michelin tires.
    The 36 is already a triple clamp, the crown clamps both stanchions and the steerer (3).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pilot- I am near to completing my G13 XL order.
    Looking through these threads I would like to run an X2 but they only come longer no 190mm.
    So , am I correct to assume that I can run a 200mm X2 with a Fox 36 @ 150? No angleset needed?
    Where can I get the adjustable chainstay ? Mojo directly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So when is this happening for the public?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can't currently run an X2 on a G13 unless it's a custom to take it. It was asked for but...
    Tou can run it with a Mojo G16 and 29 or pay for a custom (Mojo sold a few custom 150mm rear, X2 equipped G13's.
    The chainstay is now std I believe, certainly on G16, check on G13 with Nic Or Mojo or I can find out for you.
    You don't need an angleset on any of them it depends on preference for ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hehe. No word on that but I did know it was out there...except there's no 20mm axle boost hub out there either...you would have thought they would talk no!
    Likely 2018 model year if successful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If it's a 2018 model in MTN Bike product cycles it's only a month or two away. Haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hehe. No word on that but I did know it was out there...except there's no 20mm axle boost hub out there either...you would have thought they would talk no!
    Likely 2018 model year if successful.
    If you compare the front Boost hubs 15mm vs Non Boost 20mm. The flange spacing advantage is so small it seems almost irrelevant. The rear hub is where you get the real spoke triangulation advantage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I assume the new G16s arrived and everyone is too busy riding rather than posting on here, no?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Waiting to ride on 29 wheels due to the buzz. Doing some formal testing to ensure the best setup as lots of requests for a full 29.
    Just waiting for the @hopetech oval now for the @hopetech cranks then I can go riding. @mojosuspension G16 running 29 wheels. 155mm rear currently(170mm too but saving that for now) , 160mm front with tuned X2 shock and 36 fork. BB set at 340mm (plan testing between 340,345 & 350mm as I have a theory!) HA comes out at 60.5 and SA 76.2 but saddle set to give 77deg. Measured on the trusty digipas anglefinder and a straight edge. Now fitted with the ebike 36, which is heavier than std at 2.2kg but stiffer. first runs will be with the Hopetech enduro wheels until the @stansnotubes Bravo wheels in boost arrive to lighten things up a tad. A @vittoriauk_tyres Morso graphene tech rear ready to go on. Finished with @hopetech brakes, @envecomposites DH bars, 30mm #syntace stem, ESI grips and @selle_italia slr kit carbonio saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On a personal basis after spending time on the 13, I think I am still going to prefer either 29 front 27.5 rear or 27.5. But we shall see.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The DT Swiss rims I've spec'd for the wheel set on my g16 are on back order so they are holding up the build of mine. Really looking forward to trying it on my local trails when it's ready. All good things come to he who waits........

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The new 29 specific 40 makes the mixer option more viable. Wonder when it will be available for joe public?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm waiting for Mojo to send an email saying the new G16 frames have landed. Either an all black ano frame or the raw with black decals and black linkage...

Plan is to run 170mm+ travel f/r. Hoping to hear about this 49 or 40 29er availability. This whole Boost 20 means I need a for sure on the fork before getting a wheel set.

Organized a demo-day last Sunday at our local track...

Vinc and his crew brought G13/G16/G19 in all sizes from S-XXL. Finally got some good runs on the G16 L/XL and G13 and G19... I'm very impressed and truly believe this is the route all geos will be going in the near future. Albeit I do have problems adapting to the 29 wheels, for me they just feel kind of unwilling to change direction once up to speed... On the other hand, if the first WC DH wins this year are on 29ers I sort of see 650b becoming obsolete.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread

Raschaa I agree to an extent on 29. But I think that's partly a function of the G13 compromises Nicolai made. Take 2deg off the HA and artificially steepen the SA with the saddle and it improves a lot. Having built various custom and radical 29ers (which. Means the industry is just catching up) over the last 4 years I agree that they don't change direction as well at speed, some people like that. But that doesn't mean you can't throw one down the right track at daft speed and win races if you are a strong aggressive rider, like most WC racers. But I think the rider makes more difference than the wheels and these are marginal gains, it won't be a game changer and lesser riders suddenly win everything on bigger wheels.
    I think the 27.5/29 is the one to watch however. You should aim to try one back to back.
    We think the rear wheel does impact significantly on steering, the theory does back that up, and why you see passive rear wheel steering on cars, in addition on our timed runs the rear wheel makes little difference compared to the front (again the physics would back that up looking at the push/pull over obstacles), the lower weight allows better suspension performance with less unsprung weight and more clearance. For a rider st the back on very steep stuff.
    I don't think 27.5 will be obsolete. 29 is not great for smaller riders and despite what is being suggested also doesn't make up for quality suspension.
    I don't think they can't use 27.5/29 in the WC because of an obscure UCI rule that doesn't allow different size wheels. I wonder if anyone might try to flout it or if anyone would notice....it's not that obvious and a silly rule given you could just manipulate it with tyre sizes if you were being silly. I suspect it comes from road riding again.
    However you could use it in Enduro as it's non UCI
    GeoMetron will definitely be developing the 27.5/29 further and maybe I'll prefer that in the future. For now, 27.5 is my favourite but I would like a few fork changes to improve the situation....we may have to do that ourselves...
    I am open minded but I'd bet money based on past experience and my G13 (modified) testing to date that I'll either be on 27.5 or a 29/27.5 hybrid after this testing period, we shall see.
    This is the hybrid setup

Aka chainline...

Yeah, the 29 front 650 rear idea does sound plausible and might just be the optimum compromise, I come from MX/Enduro, so I'm very open to different wheel sizes front/rear and my first DH bikes were modified with 24 rear to get that extra needed travel... the suspension folks now have to up their game in producing suitable 29er long travel forks. And thanks for all the input you're bringing here, keep it up, really interesting stuff!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    by chance I could ride the g13 and g16 back to back and I found that besides the lack of a proper suspension I did like the 29er more.

so now I'm curious if they build the g16 as a 29er Bike, in the near future

I did a little math with the current g16 and a 160 mm 29er lyrik u should end up with 14 mm bb drop. ha 63 deg. I don't know if that is too high.

now I did read the pinkbike review from Paul for the pole 140 and he would like the bb drop on the 29er Bike as a 27.5er as this would make steering more easy, how do you think about that

I kinda like the hybrid idea too, I'm pretty interested too to hear your results.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    nonsense
    Last edited by trader5; 05-02-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: wrong post

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trader5 View Post
    nonsense
    ??

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @the_pilot

I've ridden the G13 twice (last time at Nicolai HQ Lübbrechtsen) and I've experienced the same thing! Think you have to have strong arms to steer this thing on a tight track at high speeds!

Hybrid sounds intresting! Liteville did try this but i think they have abandoned it with their new 2018 models!

Do you got pictures of your G13 hybrid, too?! The pictured one above looks like a G16!Did you try to fit an X2 with Offset bushings into the G13 standard Frame? I know Mojo did a G15 and have some left but only in size Large (Longest).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Custom G13 is effectively a Custom GeoMetron that Chris produced last year. Paul at Mojo has a custom G13 with an X2 running about 150mm rear travel and he loves it.

I personally think the Mojo GeoMetron in 170mm guise has the most flexibility as one bike being able to run 29 front/180 front/170 rear etc with just a touch more DH capability, but the !3 custom 150mm is so close and probably a slightly better long distance bike.
    I think it does come down to wheel preference here really.
    By the way I've spoken to Paul and he's got only 140mm at the rear and only to make the X2 fit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    by chance I could ride the g13 and g16 back to back and I found that besides the lack of a proper suspension I did like the 29er more.

so now I'm curious if they build the g16 as a 29er Bike, in the near future

I did a little math with the current g16 and a 160 mm 29er lyrik u should end up with 14 mm bb drop. ha 63 deg. I don't know if that is too high.

now I did read the pinkbike review from Paul for the pole 140 and he would like the bb drop on the 29er Bike as a 27.5er as this would make steering more easy, how do you think about that

I kinda like the hybrid idea too, I'm pretty interested too to hear your results.
    Sounds interesting! I've discussed this with Leo of Pole Bicycles too!

Nicolai does not seem to like the Hybrid idea but at Liteville it worked quite well!

I've attached a Liteville Scaled Sizing Guide from the Mk12 Generation of 2014/15! Now they do not seem to do this anymore cause you don't find any data on other wheel sizes than 27,5"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-scaled-sizing.png  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    By the way I've spoken to Paul and he's got only 140mm at the rear and only to make the X2 fit!
    I was sure he told me 150mm, maybe it was when I asked about the front... I'll apologise personally for misrepresenting him when I pick up the proto XS/normaler /not-so-long that has now arrived

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    Organized a demo-day last Sunday at our local track...

Vinc and his crew brought G13/G16/G19 in all sizes from S-XXL. Finally got some good runs on the G16 L/XL and G13 and G19... I'm very impressed and truly believe this is the route all geos will be going in the near future. Albeit I do have problems adapting to the 29 wheels, for me they just feel kind of unwilling to change direction once up to speed... On the other hand, if the first WC DH wins this year are on 29ers I sort of see 650b becoming obsolete.
    Nice one! I've ridden the trails of Lübbrechtsen at the Nicolai Hausmesse! Would like to see such a testival in Siebengebirge too but thinks it would not be easy to get the permissions here!

Think i'll soon have to get my spec fixed and order one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

The pictures one is a G16. Hybrid G13 is a mess angles wise because of Nicolai's approach to the design I.e kinda gentle on the changes from convention (in terms of head angle and seat angle). mojo checked it out when they arrived as it was hoped it could work.
    It's simple and effective on a Mojo G16 and the turn in and handling is very close to the 27.5 version but with the rollover speed of the bigger wheel on smaller bumps at the front, suspension favouring unsprung weight on the rear.

Interesting if Liteville have abandoned it. I would say likely due to marketing confusion.

That G16 is set up 155/160. You could run it 155/150 and still deliver a 61 HA with a SA around 76.5,l and 338ish bb, could be good actually. I might do one test with the fork reduced. Tho I do like a nice 61deg HA

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The pictures one is a G16. Hybrid G13 is a mess angles wise because of Nicolai's approach to the design I.e kinda gentle on the changes from convention (in terms of head angle and seat angle). mojo checked it out when they arrived as it was hoped it could work.
    It's simple and effective on a Mojo G16 and the turn in and handling is very close to the 27.5 version but with the rollover speed of the bigger wheel on smaller bumps at the front, suspension favouring unsprung weight on the rear.

Interesting if Liteville have abandoned it. I would say likely due to marketing confusion.

That G16 is set up 155/160. You could run it 155/150 and still deliver a 61 HA with a SA around 76.5,l and 338ish bb, could be good actually. I might do one test with the fork reduced. Tho I do like a nice 61deg HA

Shame i couldn't try the "G15" aka "Geometron 29" yet cause Paul told me it would be the perfect compromise between Trail and Enduro bike!

Asking Nicolai if a 29'' would fit the front of the G16 they said the would have to change the angles on the whole bike! Maybe i should buy a Standard G16 and convert the front to 29'' afterwards and compensate the different angle with an change of headset angle!

Think it will be quicker at starting too, due do smaller circumference of the back wheel!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @the_pilot

Thought the same too, but then i asked him and he said it's only 140 cause it is the one do it all bike for him and should do longer tours too!

He now runs carbon wheels too!

But think ist difficult on a XL Geometron to drop the weight below 14 kg without compromising durability of the components!

Nice one! I've ridden the trails of Lübbrechtsen at the Nicolai Hausmesse! Would like to see such a testival in Siebengebirge too but thinks it would not be easy to get the permissions here!

Think i'll soon have to get my spec fixed and order one!
    Maybe you can make it to our season opener next year. I believe our trail is pretty good for testing the G Nicolais....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They have different angles on the Nicolai G16 compared to the Mojo.

You do need to make some adjustments to the bike but very few. Quite a few people are running 29 fronts.

As shown above of course it makes it slightly slacker due to the front wheel lift and has a similar impact on the SA, but the impact on the BB is marginal and easily adjusted. You end up with a similar SA to the G13, to alter that move the saddle forward if it is an issue.
    The A2C is the same on a 160 29 as the 180 27.5's so no issue there, just the 12-15mm higher front.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    Maybe you can make it to our season opener next year. I believe our trail is pretty good for testing the G Nicolais....

Sounds interesting! Where is it located?

I've seen Nicolai does two bigger Testivals this year! First St. Andreasberg in Harz on 13th May and then at 7th October in Brilon again. The Trailground Brilon is quite nice, but the tracks are sometimes a bit odd!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    They have different angles on the Nicolai G16 compared to the Mojo.

You do need to make some adjustments to the bike but very few. Quite a few people are running 29 fronts.

As shown above of course it makes it slightly slacker due to the front wheel lift and has a similar impact on the SA, but the impact on the BB is marginal and easily adjusted. You end up with a similar SA to the G13, to alter that move the saddle forward if it is an issue.
    The A2C is the same on a 160 29 as the 180 27.5's so no issue there, just the 12-15mm higher front.
    Yes, Paul told me!

If it's that easy as you describe it, simply by slightly changing the steering angle (or keeping it like it is and living with a slightly higher front) and moving the saddle Forward the G16 with hybrid setup sounds like the best choice!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    well i think the g16 with full 29 will work with a 150mm fork as they have the same a2c like they Specd it 559.

but if you go for a bigger one you end up with like 62 deg ha and 10 mm bb drop. dunno how that works. you can get it to 20 with the bushings I think but that's with an 61 deg ha don't kwon how that performs. and 75 or something sa, I don't know if that pedals the way the normal g16 is doing.

I d love to see the g16 with 29 and maybe the coming suntour durolux 29 with 170. that would be a tank. go 4 a full dh damper with 222x70. it should work good with a coil damper.

or go 4 a tour version with the 216 air damper.

I don't know why the did not spec the Angels with a 570 a2c fork. as this would allow easier tuning with the offset bushings in either direction.

I have to say I like the 63.5 deg ha, I'm a little bit stuck to that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    well i think the g16 with full 29 will work with a 150mm fork as they have the same a2c like they Specd it 559.

but if you go for a bigger one you end up with like 62 deg ha and 10 mm bb drop. dunno how that works. you can get it to 20 with the bushings I think but that's with an 61 deg ha don't kwon how that performs. and 75 or something sa, I don't know if that pedals the way the normal g16 is doing.

I d love to see the g16 with 29 and maybe the coming suntour durolux 29 with 170. that would be a tank. go 4 a full dh damper with 222x70. it should work good with a coil damper.

or go 4 a tour version with the 216 air damper.

I don't know why the did not spec the Angels with a 570 a2c fork. as this would allow easier tuning with the offset bushings in either direction.

I have to say I like the 63.5 deg ha, I'm a little bit stuck to that.
    Would take a 'endurised' tour Version with 36 HSC/LSC EVOL 2018 / X2 2018! Full 29 would be great but i'm unsure it fits the Standard G16 or only the Mojo frame!

And the hybrid sounds more promising to me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Mojo frame is essentially designed around the 569a2c 180mm 36 to deliver a 62 HA and 77SA
    The 160 29 fork delivers the same angles except the wheel lifts the front by 12-15mm and results in BB slightly higher than some (not all) prefer at 350mm with a 216mm shock in the 222 position.(155mm)
    Using bushings to get the bb down delivers the 61 ha (approx) and 76-76.5 SA. 61 steers better than the 64.5 of the G13 in some people's opinion
    I'll give a full spec and ride impression after the weekend.
    It's fully built now.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    cant wait to hear it.

I'm on fire

i maybe Wanted to spec it with a 170 fork

there the a2c is about 580 that lifts the a bit to high plus correcting that is will result in a ha about 61 and a sa with 75 that might not pedals to well since I have an inseam of 1 m .

just some thoughts

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pilot
    Enjoy
    N

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Can't wait, too!

160 would be enough for me with 155mm at the rear with the X2 of the G16!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    170mm 29er fork? We can make the non ebike Fox that but not ideal in terms of stiffness and have to use 27.5 uppers, who has made a 170mm 29er that isn't a noodle?

Aka chainline...

Would take a 'endurised' tour Version with 36 HSC/LSC EVOL 2018 / X2 2018! Full 29 would be great but i'm unsure it fits the Standard G16 or only the Mojo frame!

And the hybrid sounds more promising to me!
    Vincent assured me that a 29 will fit in the rear of G16...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Theres ist non right now, the durolux 2018 r2c2 will be Speced Witch 170 i assume
    the a2c about 583 which is the a2c of the 180 27.5.

maybe rs will come with a 170 mm version of the lyrik. as the 27.5 has 180mm Max.

@the_pilot
    do you know the a2c of the new fox 49 ?
    Last edited by trader5; 05-06-2017 at 01:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @raschaa If you like it more nimble and agile take the L if you want to ride more Long epic tours take the XL! I'm in between sizes too and would take the smaller one everytime!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Pilot,
    I know you love the 40, and I must try it because more stiffness has to be nice - but I don't find the 26 uppers noodly. (You'll recall that my 36 is built with 26 uppers for shorter offset (34mm?) and 27.5 lowers / 180 non ebike 20mm bolt through fork).

Of course the 40 has a big offset so thats a change too - am I right (with the intended 27.5 wheel I mean)?
    According the CP the shorter offset on my own fork (26" CSU) provides more stability and the need to turn the bars more, thus an easier ride when threading the bike between tight trees on singletrack. I'd say that works well.

How was the 27/29 test? On the 40's I presume?
    Oh dear, more wheels to buy!

Have a good week

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Waiting for the Hybrid verdict too!

Nicolai themself has changed the G16 too like the Mojo pictured one page earlier!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^Nicolai G16 is different than Mojo G16

Mojo has: Longer wheelbase, shorter seat tube length, longer CS, slacker HTA, 83mm BB width, less stack

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    ^Nicolai G16 is different than Mojo G16

Mojo has: Longer wheelbase, shorter seat tube length, longer CS, slacker HTA, 83mm BB width, less stack
    Thats true i was only referring to the chainstay which can now take 29''ers too!

Still waiting for the tech sheets for the G16 '18 so i can get an offer for an complete G16 29" built with 36/X2 and so on!

@the_pilot How is the uphill performance of a Mojo Geometron compared to a G13?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

@tallguy it's better in my view but both climb great. The G13 would be solved with the slacker HA. I struggled a bit with lifting on the G13 on really steep stuff.
    If you are definitely going 29, I'd pay the extra for custom.
    Allow for the wheel lift and SA slackening without adjustment.
    Just get the G16 designed for 740mm dia wheels with a 338mm BB, use a 78 SA and 62.5 HA.
    Having said that it works great.
    Just need the 216 in the 222 position
    1 offset in the shock. 61.5 HA at that in the Nicolai version which is good, BB is approx 340mm.
    You may need to put the seat forword to reset SA.

Or Mojo have some G15 specials left I think. Depends on size. Euro would help you there..

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi The pilot,
    What headset are you running to slack your head angle out? My bike with 40'S should be being built up next week, just wondering whether to slacken it further based on your opinion??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    @pigglet13 Will you run a 29 or 27.5 front. And Mojo or Nicolai design?
    I'd suggest targeting between 61 and 62 deg. HA
    61 and under is lovely but requires more servicing of a 36 to keep it sweet. The 40 however seems much more tolerant, but sub 61 the offset and flop seem to increase as mentioned ( laser guided steering mind) as such is say a std Mojo would be spot on and Nicolai might benefit from a -1.
    If 29 front neither need a headset.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @tallguy it's better in my view but both climb great. The G13 would be solved with the slacker HA. I struggled a bit with lifting on the G13 on really steep stuff.
    If you are definitely going 29, I'd pay the extra for custom.
    Allow for the wheel lift and SA slackening without adjustment.
    Just get the G16 designed for 740mm dia wheels with a 338mm BB, use a 78 SA and 62.5 HA.
    Having said that it works great.
    Just need the 216 in the 222 position
    1 offset in the shock. 61.5 HA at that in the Nicolai version which is good, BB is approx 340mm.
    You may need to put the seat forword to reset SA.

Or Mojo have some G15 specials left I think. Depends on size. Euro would help you there..

Already wrote with Paul about the G15's left! Only size "Longest"/L and unfortunately i definitely need at least XL.

Think i'll have to wait for the techspecs for G16 '18 then (then it will fit 29ers), cause they said they can figure out a "29er G16" then and i will ask them about the optimisations you mentioned above!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Has Paul not got any XL 16s? Obviously that works because I have one!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @pigglet13 Will you run a 29 or 27.5 front. And Mojo or Nicolai design?
    I'd suggest targeting between 61 and 62 deg. HA
    61 and under is lovely but requires more servicing of a 36 to keep it sweet. The 40 however seems much more tolerant, but sub 61 the offset and flop seem to increase as mentioned ( laser guided steering mind) as such is say a std Mojo would be spot on and Nicolai might benefit from a -1.
    If 29 front neither need a headset.

It's a mojo g16 running 40s and a 27.5 front wheel for the moment. The bike is a medium. I'd thought I'd probably be a large but it would have meant going to a 125mm dropper to accommodate my little legs! May run it with standard headset initially and then try a -1 for comparison. Not bothered about flop, this will be a bike for fast and steep riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good to go then. What is your inside leg out of interest. Mine is 31" and I run a 150mm Transfer post with 165mm cranks and 1.5" spare on the seatpost.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    30 to 31 ish. I had the 150mm dropper slammed to the collar on the medium I demo'd
    Toby reckoned the large would have been too big based on my leg length. The joys of being 5.10 but with little legs. The medium certainly didn't feel overly long though.
    The bike I tried had 170mm cranks but I've ordered 165s for my bike so it'll be interesting to see what difference that makes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmmm. Pretty much the same size as me, 5'10, 30-31 leg. Was it a 2017 model (shorter ST) and what cranks. Std Mojo is 170min and I use 165mm, 160-165 is ideal for our height.
    Also current transfer has low stack collar compared to Dos. What seat post was it. Slammed to collar is fine as long as it fits. I think you get 15mm from crank and ST. I can measure mine if you like.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm gonna measure my inside leg accurately later but I'm sure it's 30.5" in bare feet.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The demo bike was the older frame but with a transfer dropper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    older frame has taller ST. Longest/L is now 10mm smaller than old Longer/M
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mine set up as 29er along with Chris's and his secret fork and lead!

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0924-1-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Bummer, that wasn't mentioned. May have got away with a large then. Ahhh well too late now.... there was a cock up with my frame which was supposed to be black yet when unpacked was raw. They've had it anodised black for me so doubt they'll take too kindly to me asking for a large now...... DOH!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I dunno, if it was the only one Mojo had then I don't see why not, many are indifferent to the colour. Hope I've not dropped them in the muck now! ...Obviously it's a benefit of being embedded in the design process and being very anal about numbers that enables me to know this shit. I often have to remind CP of the geo.

You have nothing to lose by asking, you are the customer, the problem at the moment is getting enough frames of the right size not their colour! I also know someone interested in a frame that size (M) and ano black and 2017 so call them or let me know if you want me to have a word.
    Chris wouldn't be happy if you had doubts about choosing the right frame or had made a decision without being aware of all the info, the whole ethos is to put people on the right bike and provide great service.
    Of course you may prefer the M and the L could be too big but...
    For clarity the current 2017 has a 460mm ST in a L and a 440 ST in M
    The 2016 bikes (no adjustable chainstay and 73mm BB) the M had a 450mm ST and the L a 470mm.
    3 things make a big difference, crank length, pedal depth and saddle stack. a low stack saddle can make over 10mm difference, the cranks the same and pedals 5mm.
    you can see on that pic where my seat post is.
    Where are you?
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what cranks were you going to use? I don't think you would regret the shorter bike, it is more manoeuvrable and easier to lift and if you are only going deep and steep it won't be a bad thing.
    The HT is shorter so allows more room for adjustment with the 40 than the Longest which is pretty wide and limits adjustment unless you use the dropped crown (which I did) my old one should be at Mojo if you wanted that one (the dropped crown) you won't be trying to drive the front in the same way as if you were using it a fair bit on more moderate terrain.
    Aka chainline...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast