Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    yet another stupid german
    HA and BB height will vary depending on fork A2C dimension and the position of the rear damper sled which can be moved in (I believe it was) 4mm increments...
    If I knew how to get a fairly accurate HA reading I'd measure my L Ion with the Boxxer but I'm not really sure how to go about it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    it would be nice at least to measure how much bb height change difference when moving the shock sled lowest to highest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Riding terrain conditions:

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc-
    6ft2", 225lbs Dh/Freeride

* Frame, Size, & Color:ION-st 2008.Large Raw, Red extras
    * Fork:2008 Fox 40 RC2 with 2009 Upper crown
    * Shock, i2i, stroke- Rockshox Vivid 500lbs x 2.75 steel spring
    * Brakes:Avid elixir cr carbon 203mm Fr/Rr
    * Cranks:deity Vendetta
    * Shifter:sram X0
    * Rear Derailleur:sram XO
    * Pedals:Shimano dx spd
    * Stem:Straitline direct mount
    * Handlebar:Easton Monkeylite carbon dh
    * Seatpost: Thomson
    * Saddle:SDG grand prix
    * Bottom Bracket:deity
    * Cassette:Xt 11-32
    * Chain:sram
    * Headset:Chris King steel
    * Grips:ODI lockons with Straitline end caps
    * Front Tire:Maxxis Minnion 2.5 dh st
    * Front Rim/ Spokes:Mavic 823
    * Front Hub/Skewer:Hadley 20mm
    * Rear Tire:Maxxix Minnion 2.5 dh st
    * Rear Rim:Mavic 823
    * Rear Hub/Skewer:Hadley 12x150
    * Cables:
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight:40+ lbs
    Last edited by norcosam; 08-15-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Shredding Daily
    How long did it take to get your frames from the time you ordered it to when you had it in your hands?

Vampire sucking fork oil.
    Sep 2010

the black horse..

Riding terrain conditions:
    steep slopes with rocks, roots and mud, wild trails in the forests... never seen a bikepark
    * Rider height, weight, ride style: I'm 1,76m, 72 kg, Dh/Freeride, sometimes allmountain.

* Frame, Size, & Color: Nicolai Ion ST 2009, Small, Black anodised, Red extras
    * Fork: 2009 RockShox Boxxer World Cup with tall upper crown
    * Shock, Marzocchi Roco World Cup RC 350lbs x 3.00 Fox steel spring
    * Brakes:203mm disc- Shimano Saint front, 180mmdisc- Avid Juicy 3 rear
    * Cranks:Shimano Saint
    * Shifter: Shimano Deore
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Saint
    * Pedals: Echo red
    * Stem: DaBomb, Boxxer direct mount, white
    * Handlebar: Sunline V1 Limited Edition blue
    * Seatpost: Truvativ XR
    * Saddle:WTB
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint
    * Cassette: SRAM 11-23
    * Chain: SRAM PG 951
    * Headset: Reset Racing 118 HDAL-2
    * Grips: Prodigy black
    * Front Tire: Intense 909 EX 2 ISO 2.3
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Sun Ringle Single Track/ DT Swiss
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Novatec 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis High Roller 2.5
    * Rear Rim/ Spokes: Mavic 325/ DT Swiss
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Shimano Saint 12x150
    * Cables: -
    * Misc: helicopter tape 3M under cable route
    * Overall Weight: ~ 17.8 kg or less...

"Its All Good"
    The ION is still one of the sickest looking DH bikes one can perve at....

Looks sweet smirnof and welcome to the forums, bombard us with action shots in the monthly action pics thread....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    The ION is still one of the sickest looking DH bikes one can perve at....
    Hey Whafe, why here on MTBR are no reviews about the Ion ST, only quick ratings?

The frame is too good to be reviewed, I supose...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Smirnof,That is very nice mate,Love my ION,Have you ridden it yet?

Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Smirnof,That is very nice mate,Love my ION,Have you ridden it yet?
    Yeap... i'm riding it since May (but not a single ride in June because it has been raining all month ), with different pedals and different handlebars. The bike is in a continuous upgrade, so... I change its configuration permanently. Next I'm looking for a titanium spring, a new seatpost/ saddle and for sure a Shimano Saint rear brake, because the Juicy 3 with a 180 mm disc is tired enough from such abuse .

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirnof
    Yeap... i'm riding it since May (but not a single ride in June because it has been raining all month ), with different pedals and different handlebars. The bike is in a continuous upgrade, so... I change its configuration permanently. Next I'm looking for a titanium spring, a new seatpost/ saddle and for sure a Shimano Saint rear brake, because the Juicy 3 with a 180 mm disc is tired enough from such abuse .
    Check out the 2011 Codes, had a wee ride on a mates Knolly yesterday that have a new set on, very nice indeed... In my short ride, better than the Saints, of which are really good..... Me though, am hooked on Magura brakes... Best feel in my book of any brakes....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Thinking of getting on of these frames. How do they ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sikocycles

They are very neutral, nicely balanced, predictable and easy to get along with. They come up short for their size, so a medium is equivalent to some manufacturers small, but in terms of proportion, they are short back and long front. In many respects it felt a lot like the original Spesh Demo 8, which had a long front centre mated to a super short rear end.

The suspension is completely unfussy; it just works in the background without making its presence felt. It's not the best of big square edged hits but it's more than good enough. It's at its best over fast, medium sized hits and it ramps up nicely.

Sep 2010

Sikocycles, a few words...

geetee is just right...
    But I would say a few more words. The ride on the Ion is quite unique: the short rear offers a more hardtail-ish feeling, and lets you control the front wheel much better, even on steep slopes. In the air is also maneuvrable (altough I'm not a jumper- I prefer staying as much as I can glued to the ground). The 4 bars system is also very well designed so you can pedal up very-very well, even uphill. Again a hardtail-ish feeling. This frame doesn't get you tired even after several descents. But what do I like most of all about this frame? it's the Astonishing Rigidity : like walking on a string, you are able to follow up your lines with great accuracy in rock gardens, off-camber sections, wet roots, slippery sections, you'll name it. You can always feel the bike and follow YOUR line, not the gravitational/ inertia line of the bike down the track. It's like holding a surgery knife. All depends on you. It's so good that you can't even drift with the bike. That's why it's a fast one. When I start drifting, I know for sure it's due to improper tires or excessive/ hard braking.
    And there are so much many things to say...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi all,

My apologies if this isn't the correct thread for this query, but i'm looking for a little info on the suspension settings. Having just bought an Ion St i'm unsure as to what the different settings do to the suspension. In particular the difference in the two shock positions on the linkage and the effect of moving the shock on the front mounts?

Any advice would be very mucha appreciated!

P.S. As soon as i've completed the build i'll post a full spec and photo

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Northernwig,

The top hole gives just over 200mm of travel while the bottom hole gives around 230mm of travel.

Most people, including the Nicolai World Cup team, run the bikes in the shorter travel setting as the bike is more responsive and gives more feedback this way.

The effect of travel reduction is acheived by increasing the leverage force on the shock (and therefore reducing the leverage ratio), i.e. more leverage means the rear wheel will move a greater amount through it's travel for each mm of travel on the shock.

This means you will need to change the spring between the two settings in order to keep the right spring weight.

The shuttle mounts are not designed for adjusting the geometry of the bike, but moving the shuttle fore or aft, will have this effect.

Moving the mounts forwards, will raise the rear wheel, drop the bottom bracket and slacken the head angle. However, it may also cause the rear wheel to collide with the seat tube, so doing this is done at your own discrection and you should check to see if the wheel does interfere with the ST or not.

I doubt you'd need/want to do it though. The bike rides just fine as it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Hi Northernwig,

The top hole gives just over 200mm of travel while the bottom hole gives around 230mm of travel.

Most people, including the Nicolai World Cup team, run the bikes in the shorter travel setting as the bike is more responsive and gives more feedback this way.

The effect of travel reduction is acheived by increasing the leverage force on the shock (and therefore reducing the leverage ratio), i.e. more leverage means the rear wheel will move a greater amount through it's travel for each mm of travel on the shock.

This means you will need to change the spring between the two settings in order to keep the right spring weight.

The shuttle mounts are not designed for adjusting the geometry of the bike, but moving the shuttle fore or aft, will have this effect.

Moving the mounts forwards, will raise the rear wheel, drop the bottom bracket and slacken the head angle. However, it may also cause the rear wheel to collide with the seat tube, so doing this is done at your own discrection and you should check to see if the wheel does interfere with the ST or not.

I doubt you'd need/want to do it though. The bike rides just fine as it is.
    Thanks geetee1972, that's just what i was after.

Hey all,

it's actually 197mm/217mm as stated in the official techsheet. why the hell they say 200/230 on their website probably only Kalle himself knows (I'll try to remember to ask him next time we meet)...

I myself along with quite a few others in our club (we have 21 Ions going at the moment ) have had nice results with the hi-travel position. Depends a lot on riding style, track and weather conditions. The Gates-Nicolai Team Riders do use the 217mm position as well, we get to race with them regularly here in Germany and I tend to keep an eye on things like that Most people can use the same spring with both positions unless your on the very border from one spring rate to another to begin with.

Yeah, moving the shuttle can be used to vary geo and I used to know the increments by how much the BB height and head angle would change per hole... but alas I have forgotten, that starts to happen when getting close to 50 Anyways the default setting is for sure the way to go and as far as I can recollect all that have messed with the shuttle have reverted to default because it is just fine that way!

Just build it on up and ride it and do some testing of your own....

Here a pic from our season kick off 2010:

I can hardly wait for the snow to melt here...

mtbr member
    Just to add my point of view, I've changed the shuttle on the front to lower the BB and I can't get back to the initial setting, it's just too good withe the low BB and the new head angle.
    So my advice is to try and choose what you prefer according to your riding style ! I rode the bike in 230mm, then 200mm and now i'm back since a few months to 230mm. For competition 200 is a bit faster but a bit more physical to control.
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks all, i guess it's a lot about personal preference, as always! Just a quick question, that's probably obvious, but what is the default position for the shuttle? Is that just when it's aligned with the frame?

mtbr member
    wow look at all those NICs awsome
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by northernwig
    Thanks all, i guess it's a lot about personal preference, as always! Just a quick question, that's probably obvious, but what is the default position for the shuttle? Is that just when it's aligned with the frame?
    Yepp, in the end its all about what works for you. Default position depends on frame size... what do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    wow look at all those NICs awsome
    nice huh? that was about 2,5 months in to our sponsorship deal with Kalle. First order was 8 Ion St, 2 Ion G-BoxxII, 1 BMXTB, 1 Helius AM. Recently at our Christmas/Years End Party we totaled 21 Ion ST! plus 3 AFR. Sum suggested retail was 85.000,- Euros Team Gravity Pilots - Extra Love had top 10 finishers in almost all classes in German and European Downhill Cup. I'll post a pic of the 2011 season kick-off should be about 30 NICs by then

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa
    Yepp, in the end its all about what works for you. Default position depends on frame size... what do you have?
    I have a Medium size frame raschaa.

to make things simple here is a pic of an M frame in default position:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks raschaa, thats very helpful. Nice colour scheme too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ion-st

Few changes.

Saint cranks,Thomson seatpost,few more red bits

Last edited by Whafe; 01-30-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast