mtbr member
    Sep 2008

nicolai ion st setup

ive just purchased a nicolai ion st but the shockfeels a little hard.

the shock is a fox dhx5.0 and i'm running a 500 spring.

i weight 12.5 stone is this spring too heavy or do i need the shock looking at.

any advise much appreciated

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi simon, welcome to the Nicolai forum. For spring weights see Mojo spring calculator.....for your weight probably 350lbs? See recent thread on the same subject. What's the rest of the build/colours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Simon congratulations - I've just checked the tracking number on my Ion ST and I've seen it is out for delivery to the bike shop today! Where are you riding yours?

Your spring rate of 500lbs per inch is correct IF you're running the bike in the 9.5" travel setting, which I believe is the top shock mount. The 8" mount is the lower of the two eyelets and for this you would need something around the 400 mark (using TF Tuned's calculator). Mojo tend to run their set ups much stiffer, so they would recommend a 450 spring for 8" and 530 for the 9.5". Nicolai designed the bike around the 8" setting and having spoken to their race mechanic, this is the setting their race team prefers.

Hope this helps and have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the advise.

my bike is currently on the 8" setting so i'll try moving it up to the higher location seen as i have the 500 spring on.

i live in n.wales but i do most of the downhill races i.e. midlands, sda and nationals

looking forward to riding it now, shame its so wet.

"Its All Good"
    Hi Ya Simon, as mentioned, welcome to the Nicolai Forum Area.... You have yourself a beast of a frame, that will build up to a beast of a DH Bike.... It is fast, stable, balanced and a focken blast to ride....

Can you show us your build specs and some pictures so as we can share the excitement and also can you throw the build into the build database....

Enjoy this beast, then enjoy it some more....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Last edited by geetee1972; 09-14-2008 at 11:15 AM.