mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Nicolai Ion ST (2009) Bearings

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this site, so sorry if this thread has been covered previously!

There's a very good chance that i'll be purchasing a 2009 Nicolai Ion ST in a couple of days and wondered if anyone knew if where i could source suitable bearings from. Obviously i could go direct to Nicolai Uk but they charge 140 for a full set, is anyone aware of any other suppliers that are a bit more suited to my wallet!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think the bearings are 1312 needle roller bearings.I would be very suprised if it needed them all changing.There are also Igus bushings fitted to them aswell.These are adjustable,so you can remove and slight play/wear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Northernwig - out of curiosity where are you getting it from and how much are you paying?

As Norcosam says, I would be amazed if you needed to replace the bearings. A service will most likely suffice but in order to do that you need a special drift to remove the axle in the pivots so that you can get at the bearings.

Distributor
    We make very little margin on bearing kits so more than happy for people to source their own.

You shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing similar quality bearings cheaper than we can supply them. IGUS bushings seem difficult to purchase except in large quantities so let us know if you find anywhere. The expensive bit of the bearing kit, however, are the axles. These are precision machined by Nicolai of either hardened steel (where needle bearings are used) or aluminium (which is then anodized).

If you keep the bearings well maintained you should be able to replace bearings without changing axles but after a typical 3 year bearing lifespan it's usually more effective on a time/effort basis to replace the lot - it's no more effort to replace everything than to reuse.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Distributor
    ...and we really wouldn't expect an 09 frame to need any replacement parts. A clean and adjust should do it.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Simon - and happy new year. Hope you guys are all well. Excuse the slight hijack but out of interest, has there ever been any discussion of sourcing after market titanium pivot axles? I imagine something in 6/4 Titanium given the application. I know you looked into a Ti bolt kit once but wasn't sure if that included the pivot axles. Also, does the Helius RC come with them?

It there was the chance to drop a few hundred grams from the frame weight, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for all the info. Like i said i haven't bought the frame yet, so it was more of a general query really. If i do buy it then i was thinking about 'rawing' the frame. So in doing that i would have to remove the bearings/bushes, so i thought i could replace them at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Incidentally, Simon, how much would an ISCG adaptor cost? I think the original has been lost!

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Has there ever been any discussion of sourcing after market titanium pivot axles? I imagine something in 6/4 Titanium given the application. I know you looked into a Ti bolt kit once but wasn't sure if that included the pivot axles. Also, does the Helius RC come with them?
    The RC/AC/AM already use coated aluminium axles with bushings which will be lighter than titanium anyway.

I looked into ti bolt kits for the AC and AM and went as far as getting samples from a UK supplier but wasn't impressed with the quality so didn't feel happy about recommending. I've got all the measurements somewhere.

The RC actually uses aluminium for the bearing cap bolts (titanium elsewhere) - significantly lighter than ti and makes more sense for bolts that have that little load.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had some awful bolts from a very well known UK ti bolts supplier,Torx with half depth,badly sized heads,and very soft titanium.

Probably the same place.

Pro-bolt are very good quality,but very expensive.

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by northernwig
    Incidentally, Simon, how much would an ISCG adaptor cost? I think the original has been lost!
    I don't have a price for that part but if you need one you need one so confirm the order with us. If it's not attached to the frame surely it's on the chainguide that came off it - can't you get it from the seller?
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk
    I don't have a price for that part but if you need one you need one so confirm the order with us. If it's not attached to the frame surely it's on the chainguide that came off it - can't you get it from the seller?
    I had one from you a few months ago,wasnt that expensive,20 ish rings a bell,was in raw though.

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    I had one from you a few months ago,wasnt that expensive,20 ish rings a bell,was in raw though.
    I knew we had supplied one but a quick search didn't uncover the invoice.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com