mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nicolai ION longer travel?

I saw couple of months ago some guy selling an ION frame stating that it has 9 or 10 inches of travel instead of the usual 8/9 inches. Can you just put a longer shock on it? Or can it be done with custom geometry? I'm more interested with lower leverage ratio than the 10 inch travel settting.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Pretty sure they're fitting a longer shock to achieve this travel. The down side is that the rear tire hits the seat tube with a stock shock stroke. So, you have to setup a hack job with extra bottom-out bumpers or have a custom shock-stroke done. I saw a couple in person in Whistler this summer.

"Its All Good"
    Having given an ION a bit of a hard time at Whistler, I cant see it needing 10 inches of travel.... Just my thoughts....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Having given an ION a bit of a hard time at Whistler, I cant see it needing 10 inches of travel.... Just my thoughts....

Now you tell me.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Now you tell me.
    LOL, well a weeks worth of park riding...... Then 2 days in New Zealand, and that was about it, seriously...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    LOL, well a weeks worth of park riding...... Then 2 days in New Zealand, and that was about it, seriously...

You told me "One careful lady owner"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    You told me "One careful lady owner"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    By all accounts and my own experience, the Ion runs better in 200mm mode than in 230mm mode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So Err, you think a 9x3 shock would work instead of a 9.5x3? I'm more interested with lower leverage 9 inch than the 10 setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running mine in the shortest travel setting.Its sweet