Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

NICOLAI "Ion Gear-Boxx 2": First CAD screenshots

Last edited by Wilhelm6; 01-21-2008 at 01:35 AM.

mtbr member
    I can't seem to get to the pictures....
    Would you be able to post the pictures here? (cause I really want to see the pictures!!!)

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Yeah... My computer doesn't like the links. Can you attach images to another post?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Links not working for me either.

'All over it!'
    Ditto

"Its All Good"
    Tried to search too, cannot find anything, now that doesnt mean there is nothing there, just means I may well be a shiat searcher.....

I would be keen to know, I asked specifically if there was the option to throw a GBoxx in the ION, and the answer was no de no de no.... But developments may have come into play....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here is one pic, at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Its All Good"
    A basic translation of the article... Exciting stuff really... This is some of the stuff I saw at the factory when Crisillo and I visited... Yeah baby....

Wilehlm, great catch and good info....

We admit that we operated a lot of Geheimniskraemerei around the g-Boxx II development. All wanted to know whether it also a Nicolai with g-Boxx will shortly give II, how it will look like the g-Boxx II functioned, when it will give the part in series and much more besides. On some questions we can give still still no answer. That is primarily because of the fact that the innovative circuit technology, which works inside the g-Boxx II to the patent to be announced had. One finds 24.12.2007 to more to the technology starting from that on www.g boxx.com. We must try to protect our technology and knowledge projection/lead because meanwhile also the Skeptiker and Zweifler recognized that within the framework integrated the getriebeschaltung, after the suspension and the disc brake, which are next large Bike innovation, which has the potential to revolutionize the Mountainbikesport. There the series production of the g-Boxx II however already started can we at least already times a few things betray: The g-Boxx II is particularly built for the Downhill and Freerideeinsatz. It has 7 courses and a weight advantage of 800g opposite the Rohloff g-Boxx, which is blocked at present in the models Nucleon TFR and Nucleon TST Evo. At present over a Drehshifter built by us, an alternative trigger Shifter is switched is straight in work. Numerous manufacturers develop at present models on basis of the g-Boxx II, among other things orange, dia. moon bake, MSC and Alutech. And which we can betray are, as the new Nicolai will look model with the g-Boxx II. It will be called on basis ion to be built and ion of the GB II. Lengths, angles and spring travels will be identical to the ion. The first prototypes are tested already shortly by our team drivers under hardest conditions. And here there is exclusively the first CAD Screenshots:
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Very sweet pics.

Nicolai still needs to MAJORLY invest in a combination of materials in order to bring the concept into a more functional weight category in terms of both his frame design and the GBox design. I am a very big fan of their stuff though in more than one way. But the design is still - like the first GBox; very baulky and there appears to be alot of excess material around the design concept. The internal gearing and material is also VERY interesting...yet it really needs more refining!

great pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6
    Last edited by Sim2u; 01-21-2008 at 06:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is very exciting to see so many very interested, well informed as well as engaged guys around the gear-box concept here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6
    It is very exciting to see so many very interested, well informed as well as engaged guys around the gear-box concept here.
    Karl give me the pass words for the drawings and Cad files and even if I need to agree still really heavy, somehow clumsy and restricted in gear rathios is a marvelous development no the less..

Hopefully Suntour will be able to make them in a more accessible price range so they become common place like any other high end standard drivetrain at least and also available to "thinkers" that want to play with the concept, more than just big bike companies with out the need of big contracts and commitments, I really think that will bring a lot of "out of the Box" ideas to make the progression of development even faster.

I want a "narrow version" running on Belts, Not heavy chains.

"Its All Good"
    Some good comments, having a GBoxx TFR I feel I can add some insight from my viewpoint. I dont really buy into the weight being a huge issue. One must look at the weight in a different way, it is not excessive really, the weight is low and the centre of gravity is low. The benfit of having almost no weight at the back of the bike is an advantage..

Am not at all defending the GBoxx as it is cause I have one. Just trying to give my thoughts... T

The width of the whole setup does nto get in the way, although it could possibly look like that, but having ridden mine a considerable amount, I dont find this to be a problem..

I have faith that the Nicoali team will not have excess material and metal on the whole setup if it is not needed. On the TFR, the GBoxx is more than jsut the gearbox so to speak, it is the central point that holds the front triangle to the rear of the bike...

I am pleased hugely that I have tried this and it is a biek in my stable, I always wanted to jump onto this technology, which in the end with R&D and refinement will be the norm in a few years....

The thrill of heading downhill with virtually no noise, no der to catch on things etc is bliss....

Keep up the great work Karl, Falco and the whole Nicoali team...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Some good comments, having a GBoxx TFR I feel I can add some insight from my viewpoint.
    man Whafe how many cool bikes you have..!?!?

let see some detail photos of that monster.

I dont really buy into the weight being a huge issue. One must look at the weight in a different way, it is not excessive really, the weight is low and the centre of gravity is low. The benfit of having almost no weight at the back of the bike is an advantage..
    4400 grams for the "Suntour" version of the tranny is a hell of a lot no matter were you put it..

Many bikes are kind of getting there complete, well not really but my M-pire frame is about 10 pounds.

Most people are just going to Laugh at that kind of mass, even is works great still pretty chubby and needs to go on a big diet.

Am not at all defending the GBoxx as it is cause I have one. Just trying to give my thoughts... T
    To love something, is to studied, to find the weak points, to try to make it better..

The width of the whole setup does not get in the way, although it could possibly look like that, but having ridden mine a considerable amount, I dont find this to be a problem..
    width or Weight..!?!?

My M-pire pedals strike the ground all the time do to that super wide Bottom bracket, that reduce the lean angle so much, I just hope the G-boxx's don't suffer the same syndrome.

I have faith that the Nicolai team will not have excess material and metal on the whole setup if it is not needed. On the TFR, the GBoxx is more than jsut the gearbox so to speak, it is the central point that holds the front triangle to the rear of the bike...

I am pleased hugely that I have tried this and it is a bike in my stable, I always wanted to jump onto this technology, which in the end with R&D and refinement will be the norm in a few years....

The thrill of heading downhill with virtually no noise, no der to catch on things etc is bliss....

Keep up the great work Karl, Falco and the whole Nicoali team...

Pictures Pictures, many pictures please

"Its All Good"
    patineto - Thanks for the positives on my rides.

You indeed make some great points.... My TFR weighs 18Kg's pretty much on the button...For sure you are correct in saying that this weight is up there for an AM type bike...

My main point on weight is to take into account that the weight is located centrally, this helps hugely.

For sure many people will look at the weight and the first reaction is a negative one, it is human nature, we need to study the weight some more prior to making the comments if that makes sense....... Riding this bike doesnt at all feel like 18Kg's, and that is also taking into account that I do not have it set up for pedalling really, has a really short stem and the bike is small, perfect for what i have it for.

I dont have any negatives with pedal strikes etc, for me, once again I like the handling characteristics. And I have ridden bikes with high BB, my Ellsworth Id had a very high BB, which I also really liked, for a first time bike owner, it would have been hate at first ride.. But those if us with more riding experience can cope with it....

I feel that when the total weight with a GBoxx can be at around 32 pounds, the world will open up, that is a respectable weight for a strong hardcore Trail / AM bike in my opinion...

One negative I have about my bike is the fact, and it is petty, I hate the fact the Rohloff grip shift is triangle shaped and grips are round, it is uncomfortable and annoying... A small thing, but a BIG pain in the pooper...

A few pics, I dont want to derail the thread...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    patineto - Thanks for the positives on my rides.
    well you have excellent taste..

Plus I will love to get a few lesson in what you do so I can also afford so many nice rides.

You indeed make some great points.... My TFR weighs 18Kg's pretty much on the button...For sure you are correct in saying that this weight is up there for an AM type bike...

My main point on weight is to take into account that the weight is located centrally, this helps hugely.
    Tell me about it..

I ride Motorcycles a lot, mostly a BMW GS and a KTM 950 adventure.

The KTm is at least a 100 pound lighter (actually about 160 when the tanks are somehow empty) but it feel so much heavier if you "Tip over it" (10 deggre lean)
    than the BMW with the Boxer (Opposite twin engine)that Locate the mass (static and Dynamic) so down low that make it feel so much lighter in terms of dally riding and even if you need to lift them,, so I totally agree and see you points.

For sure many people will look at the weight and the first reaction is a negative one, it is human nature, we need to study the weight some more prior to making the comments if that makes sense....... Riding this bike doesnt at all feel like 18Kg's, and that is also taking into account that I do not have it set up for pedalling really, has a really short stem and the bike is small, perfect for what i have it for.
    well you know how it is...

The person goes into the bike shop and the first thing they do is to Lift the bike.

If a normal human with out much know how lifts one of this current G-boxx bike, he is just going to wonder if the bike is "lock down" to the ground or something and nobody is going to convince him about the advantage of mass centralizatrion and all this other wonderful stuff.

then again you don't spend 4000/5000 euros on your first bike anyway, well many people do, but they are not looking for a G-boxx in the first place..

I dont have any negatives with pedal strikes etc, for me, once again I like the handling characteristics. And I have ridden bikes with high BB, my Ellsworth Id had a very high BB, which I also really liked, for a first time bike owner, it would have been hate at first ride.. But those if us with more riding experience can cope with it....
    Personally I grow up riding rigid bikes (with out much BMX), so this high B.B. are kind of strange for me
    I feel that when the total weight with a GBoxx can be at around 32 pounds, the world will open up, that is a respectable weight for a strong hardcore Trail / AM bike in my opinion...
    Specially if they are much more expensive I don't think the market with acept any G-Boxx bike that is 20% even 15% heavier than their convensionally geared it machine with similar performance and quality characteristics.

One negative I have about my bike is the fact, and it is petty, I hate the fact the Rohloff grip shift is triangle shaped and grips are round, it is uncomfortable and annoying... A small thing, but a BIG pain in the pooper...
    tell me about it...

How they can make something so wonderful with Ergonomics so disastrous is being me, well at least they were trying to give you added grip in the wet.

Are you sure you can not retrofit a round grip to it or even shave the crest of the triangular.!?!?

I sold my two Rohloff hubs to finance another project and I can not even remember how the "Throttle" is constructed.

For sure some nice "Paddle" shifters will be nice.

A few pics, I dont want to derail the thread...
    Well more like "Gearbox shifting"

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Very exciting to see the ION GB II cad shots. I'd buy it! I noticed they aren't using the compound rear hub design... Very cool without a doubt!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

"Its All Good"
    So would I............. The TFR would go and in would come the ION GBoxx.....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    that stuff looks sweet... nice to see the protos coming together

here's the real thing

Nicolai Ion Gearbox 2

"Its All Good"
    Yummy yummy yummy is all I can say......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This is my Alutech Pudel DH with a Gboxx 2 from UT/Nicolai:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If Nicolai wants a rank amateur with limited skills to crash test that Ion GB on some Welsh Dh tracks then I'm the man!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    DARWIN found that evolution makes some leaps from time to time. So does Kalle NICOLAI. A new "Ion GB2" prototype, with Horst link:

umm..very interesting....so it's an adjustable horst link?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast