"Its All Good"

Nicolai ION 18 - Set-Up Database

Nicolai ION 18 owners please post your setups.

Potential owners view, compare, drool & gain insight etc!

Nicolai Linky

Also "no flames please" you can do that on other posts or create a new one if you need to vent, let this be an information data base to assist not to attack or hinder. We can hopefully build a great source of valuable information.

Post pictures of your build also......

Riding terrain conditions:

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc

* Frame, Size, & Color:
    * Fork:
    * Shock, i2i, stroke
    * Brakes:
    * Pedals:
    * Stem:
    * Handlebar:
    * Seatpost:
    * Saddle:
    * Chain:
    * Headset:
    * Grips:
    * Front Tire:
    * Front Rim/ Spokes:
    * Front Hub/Skewer:
    * Rear Tire:
    * Rear Rim/ Spokes:
    * Cables:
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai ION 18 - Set-Up Database-ion18-frame.jpg  

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Riding terrain conditions: Mostly PNW pine forrest freeride, very smooth trails…transitions on everything. Some rocky Moab style riding at a local, south facing spot.

Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc: 6' 0", 185lbs, mostly aggressive trail / freeride. 75% shuttle.

Frame, Size, & Color: Nicolai Ion 18, Medium, Raw
    Fork: 2012 Fox Talas 36, 180mm, RC2 FIT
    Shock, i2i, stroke: Fox DHX4 RC2, 8.75 x 2.75
    Brakes: Shimano XT (f&r)
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Stem: Easton Havoc DH (65mm)
    Handlebar: Raceface NEXT Carbon
    Seatpost: Thompson
    Saddle: Cane Creek Iodine 3
    Chain: SRAM 970
    Headset: Chris King Taper
    Grips: Oury Rouge
    Front Tire: Kenda Kevgal
    Front Rim/ Spokes: 2012 Easton Havoc DH UST
    Front Hub/Skewer: East Havoc
    Rear Tire: Kenda Kevgal
    Rear Rim/ Spokes: 2012 Easton Havoc DH UST
    Cables: Jagwire
    Misc: SRAM Hammerschmidt AM
    Overall Weight: 36.5 lbs

*more photos here: Ion 18 Build

New to the Nicolai Clan

Riding terrain conditions: Sand based forest, man made structures, little to no rocks

Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc: 6' 1", 210lbs, aggressive trail / freeride. Earn your turns.

Frame, Size, & Color: Nicolai Ion 18, Large, Ano Green and White
    Fork: 2012 Boxxer World Cup
    Shock, i2i, stroke: CCDB Coil, 8.75 x 2.75 - 450lbs
    Brakes: 2011 Avid Code (f&r)
    Pedals: Time ATAC Z
    Stem: Easton Havoc Direct Mount 35 (50mm)
    Handlebar: Easton Carbon 35 (800mm)
    Seatpost: Reverb
    Saddle: Chromag Lynx
    Chain: SRAM 970
    Headset: Cane Creek XIX
    Grips: ODI Rouge
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Big Betty UST
    Front Rim/ Spokes: Placeholder - will be WTB i23
    Front Hub/Skewer: Hadley
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Big Betty UST
    Rear Rim/ Spokes: Placeholder - will be WTB i23
    Cables: Shimano
    Misc: X0 DH cranks 170mm, Hope BB
    Overall Weight: ?? lbs
    Last edited by Momentus; 05-31-2012 at 01:44 AM.

mtbr member
    @Momentus.

How do you find the fit of the L size? I'm the same height/weight as you. And I cant make up my mind between l and xl. L virtual toptube seam a bit short. Also, what do you think of the Enduro capabilities of the bike? Will be usable or do you recomment to go with the Ion 16 / Helius AM?

Thanks for the reply upfront.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Drakche - OK I don't own an Ion 18 but I have owned the Ion 20 and while the pedaling characteristics of the latter were excellent (and therefore I conclude that the Ion 18's are similarly excellent) the weight of the bike is going to exclude it from being competitive in Enduro racing. I think for Enduro racing, you want something not much more than 30lbs making the Ion 16 or Helius AM just about right, even then they are going to be on the heavier side depending on how you've built them.

FWIW I am 1.83m/6ft tall and I ride a custom AM that is between medium and large and, it turns out, identical to the medium Ion 16 (I specified my numbers a few weeks before the Ion 16 was released but it turns out my size is exactly the same as their medium).

I would therefore say that a large should be large enough and an XL is going to way too large but of course it depends on the ratio between height and leg length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Drakche - OK I don't own an Ion 18 but I have owned the Ion 20 and while the pedaling characteristics of the latter were excellent (and therefore I conclude that the Ion 18's are similarly excellent) the weight of the bike is going to exclude it from being competitive in Enduro racing. I think for Enduro racing, you want something not much more than 30lbs making the Ion 16 or Helius AM just about right, even then they are going to be on the heavier side depending on how you've built them.

FWIW I am 1.83m/6ft tall and I ride a custom AM that is between medium and large and, it turns out, identical to the medium Ion 16 (I specified my numbers a few weeks before the Ion 16 was released but it turns out my size is exactly the same as their medium).

I would therefore say that a large should be large enough and an XL is going to way too large but of course it depends on the ratio between height and leg length.
    Thanks for the reply goatee.

Looking at the Ion 16, the L will be just right, I have an inseam of around 86 cm and as I can see the Ion 16 is a bit shorter than the 18. I just hope the model gets the head-tube gussets (I like the look of them, and you can never get enough stiffness in the front end) and the engraved Ion seat tube gusset, and can be fitted with 565 mm (180 mm travel) fork. It will defiantly be the ultimate bike. I just love the 66/65 HA.

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Hey

Sorry about the slow reply Geetee nailed it. It is not an Enduro bike, you can ride it anywhere but it will be a compromise.

I think the Ion16 will be perfect as an Enduro bike. For the time you may gain on the downs on the 18 you would more than make up for it on the flat and up hill sections on a 16.

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thanks momentus. So, I'm off saving money for the frame. By the time I get all the money, Ion will start the production.
    Enough off-topic. Great builds by the way.

mtbr member
    Was wondering if anyone was running an Ion 18 with Boxxers, it looks an ideal frame to replace my Demo 7 - how do you find that setup, Momentus? Are you using the 203 rear setting? That green/white colour scheme is absolutely stunning. Really like it.

New to the Nicolai Clan
    It seems really well suited to the Boxxers. I was going to run a Fox 180 Float but couldn't get one when I wanted it and got a great deal on the Boxxer World Cup.

I do run 203 a the rear to match the fork travel.

I haven't used a lot of different long travel forks but have been very happy with the Boxxers. My mechanic has worked at mountain bike world champs as a SRAM mechanic so am sure that helps.

I would buy the Boxxer again if I had the decision over.

mtbr member
    Cool - I'm the same height and weight (well, slightly more...) as you, and I already have the Boxxer and all the other parts on my Demo. Woul dbe a straight swap.

Just torn now between a green Ion 18 to replace the Demo, or a green Ion 16 to replace my Spicy......decisions..

The rear end is 150mm, right?

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Yup the 18 has a 150 rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Momentus, great looking ION, just wanted to ask, with your current setup, how does the bike climb??? Can you run the ION with 2 x 10 at the front end???

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Gary

yet another stupid german
    here some Ion18 from german mtb-news.de forum. some with 2x setup, one really nice pinion...

ion18 - Suchergebnisse - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    A new 2013 prospect is online NICOLAI numeric magazine 2013
    get in gear

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Quote Originally Posted by Domm Power View Post
    Hi Momentus, great looking ION, just wanted to ask, with your current setup, how does the bike climb??? Can you run the ION with 2 x 10 at the front end???
    The bike climbs well but there is no getting away from the fact that it is a big bike and weighs quite a bit. With AM tyres (2.35 Muddy Mary UST, 2.4 Big Betty UST) it rolls and climbs well. I don't seem to have any issues keeping up with the guys on 6" travel bikes.

As for 2x10, I'm not too sure as I never looked into the option. With 1x10 and 11 now available, a 32 or thereabouts up front you don't need two chain rings these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is the ION 18 out from Nicolai's list??