Thread: Nicolai Ion 18

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Nicolai Ion 18

Looking to buy an Ion 18. Anyone know what a medium frame with an all-mountain build might weigh when built up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Basically you can look at any regular Helius AM build and add about 1.5kg depending on fork and shock.

It really depends on a couple of factors; what fork you chose - a 180mm Fox Float 36 is over 700g lighter than a RS Totem; 1x10 drive train is about 400g lighter than 2 or 3x10 and almost twice that over a Hammerschmidt; wheels can vary by as much as 300g for an AM wheelset, e.g. Mavic Crossmax SX are going to be 300g lighter than Mavic 521 built wheels. Tyres is another big area of weight difference.

Point is, if you want a genuine AM build and selected 1x10 drive train as well as the lightest components you can reasonable source (nothing exotic, just regular AM/XC kit like Deore XT) then you could have an Ion 18 around the 15kg/33-34lbs mark quite easily, maybe even a little lighter.

If you want it to be 'freeride' capable, then you're going to end up adding a kilo or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great info above. I am planning on running an AM Hammerschmidt set up, but everything else would be the lightest build available (without going too XC light).

I'm currently riding a 2008 Intense Slopestyle, which is a super fun bike, but it's time for an upgrade. I mostly ride in Post Canyon (Hood River, Oregon) which is mostly super smooth, flowy stunts and trails.

I've owned a UFO DS and Nucleon ST in the past, both were terrific bikes. Looking forward to getting back on the Nicolai horse.

steep fast and loose :)
    i'd think 36lb as a guess....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    With a Hammerschmidt and 180mm fork, I reckon you are going to be around 36lbs. But really, unless you’re playing in the super league of jumps and drops (which you might well be), I think the only components you have to be careful about not going too light on are the wheels. Drive train, stem, post, saddle, pedals, heck even bars, can all be light and still relatively reliable.

A good friend of mine has a the same issue Slopestyle as you. It is a great bike and like the Helius AM and Ion 18, very versatile except that it won't take a front derailleur so you're always limited to either a 1.x set up or Hammerschmidt.

Out of interest, how well have the pivots coped in your Slopestyle. Other people I've known with Intense frames end up changing the bearings in the pivots every six months. I've never worked out whether that's because they jet washed their bikes after every ride (whether they needed it or not!) or because the alignment is never quite 100% and it puts awkward loads on the bearings.

What’s your experience been?

mtbr member
    What is the difference between the 18 and the 20? Website says it has the same travel.
    18 looks lighter and not a beffy.
    Is the Geometry the same?
    CAn the do it in a 29er?

"Its All Good"
    Mwah ha ha ha

I have had that discussion with Nicolai. At this point a no go on a 29er ION 18..

What have you out used your AM 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    What is the difference between the 18 and the 20? Website says it has the same travel.
    18 looks lighter and not a beffy.
    Is the Geometry the same?
    CAn the do it in a 29er?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Out of interest, how well have the pivots coped in your Slopestyle. Other people I've known with Intense frames end up changing the bearings in the pivots every six months. I've never worked out whether that's because they jet washed their bikes after every ride (whether they needed it or not!) or because the alignment is never quite 100% and it puts awkward loads on the bearings.

What’s your experience been?
    My Slopestyle has been a pleasure. While they can be a bit creaky at times, all in all I really have had a positive experience with the bike. I'm a bit amazed that the Slopestyle frame weighs less than the Ion 18. 10lbs compared to the 7.8lb Ion.

My biggest decision regarding my build so far is the wheelset. I want all mountain light…but need to deal with the 150mm rear end. The Crank Brothers Iodine would be perfect if offered in a 150mm rear.

Any thoughts? I starting to think custom is the best route.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by springfish View Post
    My biggest decision regarding my build so far is the wheelset. I want all mountain light…but need to deal with the 150mm rear end. The Crank Brothers Iodine would be perfect if offered in a 150mm rear.

Any thoughts? I starting to think custom is the best route.
    Flows on Hadley hubs with Sapiam Bladed spokes would be the bomb!

Or go with some Enve carbon rims on Hadley hubs with Sapiam Bladed spokes would be a nuclear bomb
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well, looks like my Ion 18 isn't going to happen. I was promised delivery within 8 weeks when I placed my order (placed on Feb 24th), but now they're saying I'll be lucky to receive the frame by July.

I'm so tired of companies making false promises. This sucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by springfish View Post
    Well, looks like my Ion 18 isn't going to happen. I was promised delivery within 8 weeks when I placed my order (placed on Feb 24th), but now they're saying I'll be lucky to receive the frame by July.

I'm so tired of companies making false promises. This sucks.
    After a few conversations with Nicolai this weekend we were able to compromise on a delivery date that works for both of us.

Thank you Nicolai for being flexible!