Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    "Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    It rides awesome, the backend is wicked, its really solid as well, takes a battering
    Sweet, I think it is deserving of a thread of its own with some pictures and a write up on how she rides....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some minor updates, nothing major. Specs can be found from previous page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    * Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc = 5'11", 14.5 stone, I'll ride anything - I commute on it, trail rides, will be doing the mega next year on it, a bit of UK downhill everything really. I tend to swap wheelset and tyres depending on the type of riding I'm doing. I find that slapping on a pair of 28 hole 819's with Bontrager acx tubeless ready, sealed with The solution makes the bike feel about 10lb lighter on my average trail ride. I stick the 325s on it for a bit of gnaar action!!

I bought this frame from simon at Nicolai UK, as a result of riding my FR. I just thought the angles would suit me better, and I was right. I absolutely love this bike.

* Frame, Size, & Color: = Medium ST, Fire dept red with glitter.
    * Fork: = Totem solo air
    * Shock, i2i, stroke = Dhx5 air measures at 220mm, and I think its a 63mm stroke
    * Brakes: = Hope Moto V2 with 203mm vented floating disks
    * Cranks: = XT + bash & E13drs
    * Shifters: = Sram x9 (x1)
    * Front Derailleur: = None
    * Rear Derailleur: = Sram x9
    * Pedals: = switch between V12's and Time Atac
    * Stem: = FSA Gravity 50mm
    * Handlebar: = Holzfeller
    * Seatpost: = Thomson elite
    * Saddle: = SDG ti
    * Bottom Bracket: = Shimano
    * Cassette: = Sram 980
    * Chain: = Sram PC 990 (i think)
    * Headset: = Fett Set
    * Grips: = Club Roost go fast ODI copies
    * Front Tire: = switch bewtween Bontrager acx ust ready & High Roller dual ply super tacky 2.5
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: = switch between xm 819 ust & mavic ex325, depending on ride
    * Front Hub/Skewer: = Hope pro2
    * Rear Tire: = as above
    * Rear Rim: = as above
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: = Hope pro2 135mm QR
    * Cables: = erm, black ones
    * Misc: =
    * Overall Weight: I estimate between 36 + 38lb

Camera buggered so I'll try for some pics soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    [URL=http://fotos.mtb-news.de/photos/view/10073][IMG]http://fstatic1.mtb
    Helius ST 04

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddrive
    Helius ST 04

^^^ Fixed for you mate.

What forks are they? White Bros?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Wow thats a fair beastie that camo ST, is that shock length too long tho? the shock mount looks a bit streched?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Post pictures of your build also......

Riding terrain conditions:

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc
    1,90m 72Kg, Enduro, Freeride, Downhill, City Hucking

* Frame, Size, & Color: Medium, Anodized Black
    * Fork: RockShox Totem Mission Control 180mm
    * Shock, i2i, stroke RockShox Vivid 5.1
    * Brakes: Avid Code (Limited Edition White) with Saint Discs
    * Cranks: FSA Isis Drive
    * Shifters: Shimano Saint
    * Front Derailleur: None
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Saint
    * Pedals: Easton Flatboy
    * Stem: Race Face Diabolus
    * Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper
    * Seatpost: Race Face Diabolus
    * Saddle: SDG Bell Air
    * Bottom Bracket:
    * Cassette: SRAM PG 990 9 Speed Redwin Red
    * Chain: KMC X9 Light Chain Ti & Gold 9 Speed
    * Headset: Cane Creek Tank Hit
    * Grips: ODI Intense Lock-On
    * Front Tire: Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky 26x2.50
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Sun ringle MTX 31
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Shimano Saint
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DH 26x2.50
    * Rear Rim: Sun ringle MTX 31
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Shimano Saint
    * Cables: Jagwire Black
    * Misc: E Thirteen Lg1 chainguide
    * Overall Weight: ??

mtbr member

update

Figured i should update this thread with the few changes I made to my ST some time ago...(changes in red)

Frame: '06-07 Nicolai Helius ST, 6.5-8.0" rear travel, ano black, medium
    Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel, Ti spring
    Fork: KOWA 200si (2.78kg Japanese made DH race forks 0-200mm travel - more info here if you are curious)
    Headset: Chris King threadless 1 1/8"
    Wheelset: Hope Pro2 32 spoke hubs (20mm front, 135x12 rear), Mavic EX721, DT Swiss DB spokes
    Tyres: Intense 909 FRO Lite EX/DC dual compound, 2.5" 1-ply front + 2.35" 2-ply rear
    Brakes: Shimano Saint with 203mm rotors
    Drivetrain: SRAM X9 shifter, SRAM X7 derailleur (X9 going on soon)
    Cranks: Saint cranks, E13 SRS guide
    Pedals: Superstar Air MX magnesium platforms
    Stem: FUNN SMX (v low stack height stem)
    Bars: FUNN Full On (750mm, 15mm lowrise)
    Grips: Element LockOn's
    Saddle: WTB Laser V Ti Team

Weight now is around 18.5kg thanks to lighter forks, bars, stem & pedals (shaved about 360g just in the pedal change!), though haven't got her on proper scales yet so its not a super accurate weight (just compared it 'side-by-side' to a known 18.5kg Spec Demo).

The front changes have totally transformed this bike, and although the old Marz 66's were a great fork this Kowa has definitely changed things for the better... though an extra 30mm of travel will probably do that. One of the key changes has come in the geometry, and was one of the reasons i went for a dual crown fork (to allow me to accurately tweak the height of the front end & geo to my liking).

I changed to quite a low cockpit setup it allowed me to slide the forks up a bit (i generally run the forks at full 200mm travel) to slacken the HA a bit as well as raise the super low BB. Handlebar height is pretty spot on, if perhaps a smidge too high for my liking. A flat bar would help this of course, which is a future change in the back of my mind, but for now the FUNN bars are fine. The BB height feels really good now (still pretty low) and the HA it definitely much better than previous. In fact as I am now running around 40% rear sag (thank you CCDB) the HA when on the move is a lot closer to a modern DH bike, which is good!

All in all i love the way the big Nic rides now, though I haven't had a chance to get out on her for a few months.

Some crappy mobile pics from a ride with the new setup i did mid last year are below. This ride was actually more of an XC ride (Manly Dam trail, for those aussies), but as I lent my Intense trail bike to a mate I figured i would ride the Helius ST. In all honestly I was blown away by how good it was on this XC trail, even on the climbs. It rides so light for a +18kg machine!

two bikes from rather different ends of the spectrum riding the same trail...

the big Nic hanging with the 5.5... yes i like black

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi starship, interesting choice of fork....how did you come by them? I'm in the UK and as far as I know they are not available here? How do they compare?

Nice looking steed. What's the head angle now with the new fork? I have 08 version and running them with Totems they measure 66 deg.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kowa fork looks sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    Hi starship, interesting choice of fork....how did you come by them? I'm in the UK and as far as I know they are not available here? How do they compare?

Nice looking steed. What's the head angle now with the new fork? I have 08 version and running them with Totems they measure 66 deg.
    Thanks mate. The Kowa? I stumbled across it locally second hand which was just pot luck really. Kowa have a distributor here in Australia and do have a bit of a following, though have found it hard to crack into an already massively crowded suspension market (especially considering they are in the high end of the market only) so are still a pretty darn rare piece of kit!

One thing i find amusing is that Fox Racing have made such a fuss over their Kashima coatings. Kowa have been using this on all of their fork stantions since the late 90's. Nice innovation, Fox... :P

Oh, for a bit more info on this fork, check out this nice detailed independent review: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-PART-2-Now-Up. I agree with this review on almost all aspects of the fork, especially the plushness! As for the top out issue the reviewer reported, if run at the recommended height (you let it out to max height, then lower it fractionly) it shouldn't really be an issue. I found some minor top-out initially, but realised i wasn't setting it up correctly and after that its all been plain sailing! The damping could be considered fairly 'simple' (i.e. open bath system) but I find its all i need and means less weight, less complexity, less services, less setup hassles... it just makes sense to me.

On the infinite travel adjust, I find it very handy for transporting the bike. I had a RenaultSport Clio up until recently, and without the huge travel adjust function i wouldn't have been able to get my Nic in my car (with the 200SI's it is much easier to fit into the car than with the previous 170mm Marz 66's). I've also used the travel adjust to assist in pedalling back up runs, its just so easy to use (turn the knob 180 degrees, lock front brake, push on bars, return the knob).

Have a look at this vid to see Kowa's infinite adjust in action - their 200GF upside-down fork is pron BTW! (not trying to advertise, just wanting to spread some awareness of this company & their awesome products as no one seems to know they exist).

Looking at the Kowa website they list quite a few distributors in the EU, though the UK isn't on that list. Maybe one of our Nicolai brothers in the UK can look into that issue... Perhaps France or Germany (see here) is your best option at this stage? Looks like my 200si fork retails for 1350 Euros (1,137 GBP).

As for the geo of my ST, I haven't accurately measured the HA, but as the stock HA for my 2007 ST is 66.7 degrees, I imagine I am somewhere around 66 now, though as i said once loaded the bike sits a lot slacker than its static measurements suggest as I run 40% sag at the rear with around 20% front. Shock mounting positions obviously have a massive influence on geo too, and I am not sure what setting Nicolai use as their base for measurements (anyone know??).

Cheers & thanks for the comments.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    starship, thanks for throwing light on KOWA. Sounds like they have similar attributes to BOS? The infinite travel adjust on the KOWA makes the Talas look second rate. Seems that it does not affect plushness and could be really handy for fine tuning head angles and transferring the fork to other bikes with differing A to C requirements. Also handy, as you say, with getting the bike in the boot of the car.

Hope somebody brings them to the UK, I would love to try them.

What are the service intervals?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Similar to BOS? Hmm well as much as I like my Kowa's i would probably swap them for a BOS fork at the drop of a hat really. Service intervals are pretty long, they have prooved to be quite maintanence free forks actually, probably due to their fairly simple internals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micoz View Post

looks a bit like my FR so gotta love it!! although everyone is bumming BOS forks at the moment you'll love those Float 180's!!
    is that a brand new st?

mtbr member
    Recent photo of my ST as it sits at the moment, no chance for some time now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2006 Helius ST Med

Hi,

Looking at a lightly used 2006 Helius ST Medium... Anyone have geometry specs for this model? Can't locate them anywhere.
    Thanks - been a dream bike, hopefully become a reality soon...

Simon

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can anyone make some comparison between the ST and the '10 AFR? Can't seem to find geometry specs. Do they basically overlap in their applications. Both seem to have a wide range of adjustment with flexibility of running fork around 180 to 200mm plus.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can dig out an old catalogue with the ST geometry and let you know the spec. What size frame? The ST is the forerunner of the AFR and it has burlier chain stays. Otherwise pretty similar in their applications.

mtbr member
    Okay I managed to find some old Nic catalogues I downloaded ages ago... Seems they aren't online anymore (or not on the Nicolai site anyway). Shame, as they are some of the best around IMO. If anyone is interested I've got Nicolai 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 catalogues. =)

Aaanyway see below Helius ST pages from the 2005 and 2007 Nicolai 'catalog' (2006 had no geo for whatever reason...).

Helius ST 2005:

Helius ST 2007:

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2404 View Post
    * Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc = 5'11", 14.5 stone, I'll ride anything - I commute on it, trail rides, will be doing the mega next year on it, a bit of UK downhill everything really. I tend to swap wheelset and tyres depending on the type of riding I'm doing. I find that slapping on a pair of 28 hole 819's with Bontrager acx tubeless ready, sealed with The solution makes the bike feel about 10lb lighter on my average trail ride. I stick the 325s on it for a bit of gnaar action!!

I bought this frame from simon at Nicolai UK, as a result of riding my FR. I just thought the angles would suit me better, and I was right. I absolutely love this bike.

* Frame, Size, & Color: = Medium ST, Fire dept red with glitter.
    * Fork: = Totem solo air
    * Shock, i2i, stroke = Dhx5 air measures at 220mm, and I think its a 63mm stroke
    * Brakes: = Hope Moto V2 with 203mm vented floating disks
    * Cranks: = XT + bash & E13drs
    * Shifters: = Sram x9 (x1)
    * Front Derailleur: = None
    * Rear Derailleur: = Sram x9
    * Pedals: = switch between V12's and Time Atac
    * Stem: = FSA Gravity 50mm
    * Handlebar: = Holzfeller
    * Seatpost: = Thomson elite
    * Saddle: = SDG ti
    * Bottom Bracket: = Shimano
    * Cassette: = Sram 980
    * Chain: = Sram PC 990 (i think)
    * Headset: = Fett Set
    * Grips: = Club Roost go fast ODI copies
    * Front Tire: = switch bewtween Bontrager acx ust ready & High Roller dual ply super tacky 2.5
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: = switch between xm 819 ust & mavic ex325, depending on ride
    * Front Hub/Skewer: = Hope pro2
    * Rear Tire: = as above
    * Rear Rim: = as above
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: = Hope pro2 135mm QR
    * Cables: = erm, black ones
    * Misc: =
    * Overall Weight: I estimate between 36 + 38lb

Camera buggered so I'll try for some pics soon.
    Its changed a little since then:

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    very cool bike!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXimus View Post
    very cool bike!!!
    And currently for sale

mtbr member
    Some updated photos of the ST I took the other day, as I am looking at selling the her... :[

Cheers,

*3o3

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5