Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    nope, the deal is almost the same....
    The Dee Max is lighter on the rim, that makes it easier to pedal. The weight saving has much more sens when it's on a moving part such as the rim.

The dilema of the Dee Max versus a build up on a 823 is a question of look and €€€.... and connexion with Mavic

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New Helius St

Here she is,

Helius st 2009 geometry, small, black ano, double barrel, 73 mm bb shell, hammershmidt ready, 1.5 h tube

Real frame weight with ccdb, steel spring, 1,5 head tube is 5.120 grams

Wery intresting is the new cable passage under a plastic chainstay protector, functional and easy to change, keeps chain slap noise to minimum.

BB height was set low, with open h angle, real bb height with totem and 200 rear travel option is 34.8 cm

Bike was tested in Freeride Calssic in 2 alpes, everything seems so easy when compared to Orange frame with same components, think this is due to low bb compared to Orange 39 cm.

Climbing is a nightmare, Orange seems a cc bike when compared
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    CS, another great looking ST. Please post the complete build. Where did you get those Totems?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Awesome ST bud congrats
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Awesome ST bud congrats

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Totems

It is an home made Totem paintjob, easy on the lower legs, an awesome adventure for the union jack.
    Internals received some attentions too, mainly about very special lubrificants.

Next step, should be a super smooth stanchions treatment for the season's end
    I live 2 km from Ferrari Reparto Corse and 25 from Ducati corse, so try to use their suppliers for something special

Thats an awesome paint job mate, did you do it yourself? Is that what you do for a job?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    no it is not,
    it would be difficolut for me to earn money in that super competitive market,
    I'm a very modest amateur.

"Its All Good"
    Very sweet looking ST CapS. Enjoy this bad a s s ST, post some action shots, will feed our stoke addiction....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Good job!

* Frame, Size, & Color: HELIUS ST / LARGE / ANO PRONZE
    * Fork: MARZOCCHI 888 ATA WC
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: ROCK SHOX VIVID 5.1
    * Brakes: MAGURA LOUISE FR
    * Cranks: SHIMANO SLX
    * Guide: e13 LG1
    * Shifters: SHIMANO SAINT
    * Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO SLX
    * Pedals: SHIMANO DX
    * Stem: TRUVATIV HOLZFELLER
    * Handlebar: FUNN FATBOY 710mm
    * Seatpost: SDG i-Beam
    * Saddle: SDG FORMULA FX
    * Cassette: SHIMANO XT
    * Chain: SHIMANO HG
    * Headset: SYNCROS FR DEEP INSERT
    * Grips: LIZARD SKINS NORTH SHORE
    * Front Tire: NOKIAN NBX 2.5
    * Front Rim: SUN RINGLE EQUALIZER 31
    * Front Hub/Skewer: SHIMANO SAINT
    * Rear Tire: NOKIAN NBX 2.5
    * Rear Rim: SUN RINGLE EQUALIZER 31
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: SHIMANO SAINT

mtbr member
    Hey fellow ST'ers. So how would i best tell if my '06 Helius ST is ano black or painted matt black??
    I was planning on stripping the frame to raw and/or paint in the future, but may reconsider this if its ano for obvious reasons.

Couple of pics:

^^ anodized black or painted matt black?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Must be ano. Nice to see DB on this bike. Great looking bike...what are the forks?

mtbr member
    I love the all black look. Nicely understated

The scuff marks look similar to my black anodized FR so I assume it's not a painted frame.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the comments.

Hmm, okay so you two think its ano? I like the stealth look too, but i already have a stealth black stickerless MTB,

my Intense 5.5evp...

...and i plan on keeping the Intense that way so i was wanting something a bit different for the big Nic, and everyone knows Nicolai's look great in raw. Brings all the amazing details out.
    Anyone know how to physically tell the difference between ano and matt paint??

A quick spec:-
    FRAME: Nicolai Helius ST 2006, Medium, Matt black ano or paint?
    SHOCK: Cane Creek Double Barrel, Ti spring (currently set on second hole from top)
    FORK: Marzocchi 66RCX2 2006, 170mm
    CRANKS: Saint with E13 guide & bashie
    BRAKES: Saint with 8" rotor F&R
    DRIVETRAIN: SRAM X9 mech + shifter, XT cassette
    BARS: Easton EA50 riser
    HEADSET: Chris King
    SEAT: WTB Laser V Ti

She pedals great but does weight a bit (20kg give or take) but is in need of a new wheelset & tyres, so I'm hoping to cut a little pork during that upgrade. Everything else functions fine and gets the job done so I see little need for an upgrade, apart from perhaps a 180mm Totem to replace the 170mm 66's in the future, though these RCX2's do feel rather nice.

Cheers,

mtbr member

2006 ST update

Okay, time for an update; Finally got my ST going last weekend so took some pics of it prior to its first proper ride. Initial impressions are this bike is capable of waaay more than the rider is. The shock probably needs some tweaks as i'm yet to touched it, but being one of the most flexible & complicated shocks on the market i'm going to make sure i know how to operate it before attempting any experimentation.

Settings wise, I'm running the shock in the hole second from top on the link & in the stock position on the frame mount. This gives a veeery low BB height of 340mm/13.39 inches, or ~12mm/0.47 inches above the rear axle (thats 10-15mm lower than the renowned low IH Sunday! Only had one decent pedal strike on the first ride tho). The current forks are 170mm though so if I go longer forks (180mm Totems or perhaps 203mm Boxxers) this will help. Or I could change the shock mount position but this will steepen the HA. I was also running around 40% sag (hadn't allowed previously for extra weight of armour + full face) so at 30-35% this will improve the BB height slightly during attack, although I know CCDB's can run at 40%. The BB on my Intense 5.5 is one of the lowest of all trail bikes (13.25 inches!) so am fairly used to flying low TBH.

So what sort of BB height numbers are you guys running on your ST's??

Anyway apart from some geo tweaks the bike feels incredible. It grips and launches out of corners, and wants to pop off absolutely anything. So much fun. With the new wheelset & tyres (tires) its also not overly heavy, and pretty damn pedal-friendly overall, even with 40% sag!

Oh and before you ask, I'm an Aussie so run my brakes "backwards".

SPEC LIST:

Frame: '06 Nicolai Helius ST, 6.5-8.0" rear travel, ano black, medium
    Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel, Ti spring
    Fork: '06 Marzocchi 66RC2X 170mm (thinking Totems or Boxxers)
    Headset: Chris King threadless 1 1/8"
    Wheelset: Hope Pro2 32 spoke hubs (20mm front, 135x12 rear), Mavic EX721, DT Swiss DB spokes
    Tyres: Intense 909 FRO Lite EX/DC dual compound, 2.5" 1-ply front + 2.35" 2-ply rear, Conti tubes
    Brakes: Shimano Saint with 203mm rotors
    Drivetrain: SRAM X9 shifter, SRAM X7 derailleur (X9 to go back on soon)
    Cranks: Saint cranks, E13 SRS guide & bashie
    Pedals: 24Bicycles Butterfly platforms
    Stem: Kalloy 50mm oversized (temp cheap & light stand-in for now)
    Bars: Easton EA50 690mm oversized (want lower & wider Sunline V1's ~730mm or similar)
    Grips: Element LockOn's
    Saddle: WTB Laser V Ti Team

VIDEO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laJaWZIg-Kg

^^ short video of me on its first shakedown. Wasn't hitting big stuff by any means, i was just wanting to test & get used to the bike & tyres more than anything, besides this was the first time for me riding a bike of this nature (plus riding in armour and full face). You have to start somewhere.

PICTURES:

excuse this dodgy photo...

Cheers,

Last edited by starship303; 08-18-2009 at 05:54 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Sexy sexy ST.... Enjoy
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Frame, Size: HELIUS ST / Small
    * Fork: Boxxer Worldcup
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Fox DHX 5.0 Ti spring 450x3.15
    * Brakes: Avid Elixirs
    * Cranks: Sram Stylo
    * Guide: e thirteen lg1
    * Shifters: Sram x9
    * Rear Derailleur: Sram x9
    * Pedals: Wellgo Mg1
    * Stem: Funn direct boxxer
    * Handlebar: Sram Carbon race Noir
    * Seatpost: SGD
    * Saddle: SDG
    * Cassette: Sram PG-970 DH
    * Chain: Shimano HD
    * Headset: Cane Creek
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Minion 2.5
    * Wheel Set: Mavic Crossline SX
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion 2.35

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    ^^ nice build.

So what sort of BB height numbers are people getting/running with their Helius ST's??

As i said a couple of posts above, my BB height is looow @ 340mm/13.39 inches (BB centre to ground level), or ~12mm/0.47 inches above the rear axle, as Nicolai likes it. Of course this number needs to be read in conjunction with the amount of sag being run, as well as front and rear travel. Think i'm running at around 35% sag, with the shock in the second hole from the top (second hightest travel setting). One key on my build is the forks, which are only 170mm (though I am running a large Chris King race which actually equates to an extra 10mm in front end height anyway).

I have clashed the pedals a few times out of the three times i've had my ST offroad, but only once badly enough for me to loose control (perhaps its because i'm well aware of its low-ness, or the fact the trails i'm riding are somewhat flowy & groomed/hardpack). Perhaps I should try some more techy stuff and see if i struggle with pedal/BB height, but i really am not finding it much of a hinderance (yet).

Anyway, i'm keen to see what other people are running in the bottom bracket height department, and if people think my 13.39 inch BB height is way too low.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by starship303
    ^^ nice build.

So what sort of BB height numbers are people getting/running with their Helius ST's??

As i said a couple of posts above, my BB height is looow @ 340mm/13.39 inches (BB centre to ground level), or ~12mm/0.47 inches above the rear axle, as Nicolai likes it. Of course this number needs to be read in conjunction with the amount of sag being run, as well as front and rear travel. Think i'm running at around 35% sag, with the shock in the second hole from the top (second hightest travel setting). One key on my build is the forks, which are only 170mm (though I am running a large Chris King race which actually equates to an extra 10mm in front end height anyway).

I have clashed the pedals a few times out of the three times i've had my ST offroad, but only once badly enough for me to loose control (perhaps its because i'm well aware of its low-ness, or the fact the trails i'm riding are somewhat flowy & groomed/hardpack). Perhaps I should try some more techy stuff and see if i struggle with pedal/BB height, but i really am not finding it much of a hinderance (yet).

Anyway, i'm keen to see what other people are running in the bottom bracket height department, and if people think my 13.39 inch BB height is way too low.

Cheers,
    yea i had the same problem, my pedals got all battered up when my sag was really high cause i was running on too soft of spring when i first got my st ;p. but now im running full travel so the bb should be slightly higher but also with a low percentage sag. 30 ish. I'm also trying to get a 3' stroke instead of a 2.75. I measured 9.5' i to i and should fit on the lowest hole setting but be full travel still.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here is my nicolai

The ST is looking bloody awesome Ian, nice one!

mtbr member
    Nice Ian - looks even better in the flesh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    on top of a freezing mountain, what a random place to meet. lol

"Its All Good"
    Missed this ST ianpinder - Looks awesome, how is she riding?

Enjoy that weapon...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It rides awesome, the backend is wicked, its really solid as well, takes a battering

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast