Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    You can cut the standard tube to the length you want and therefore gain clearance.
    Probably very true, but the bike didn't come with one, so cutting down an old seatpost was a better option than ordering a piece of precision turned, anodised piece of German engineering!

'All over it!'
    This may sound like a daft question, but when you cut them down, do you get a bung to go in the end to stop **** getting in? and are the towers removable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    This may sound like a daft question, but when you cut them down, do you get a bung to go in the end to stop **** getting in? and are the towers removable?
    Yep, they bolt on. Have a look at the very first picture in the ST thread and you can see the stump which has a threaded hole in it for the mounting bolt because Laas isn't running a front mech.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No bung provided....but it probably would be a good idea....some foam would do the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laars_
    Hey Err: Did you have any clearance issues with your Helius and the 66 ?

I just switched to a 66 and I also have a CK steelset and the crown is not clearing the frame..

Just changed from a boxxer to a 66 rc3 and cleared the downtube with a chris King. I believe you can buy a 5mm or a 10mm crown race with a steelset to clear the down tube. I think a Single Crown works best for the Beast. my bike now feels faster and more stable than before. more active suspension and the geometry is purrrfect with a single Crown. it felt totally different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Zero

Would be interested to know if you compared RC3 with the Totem? Do you think I will have clearance issues with the Totem using a FSA or Cane Creek 1.5 headset?

Some pics would be nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Zero

Would be interested to know if you compared RC3 with the Totem? Do you think I will have clearance issues with the Totem using a FSA or Cane Creek 1.5 headset?

Some pics would be nice.
    RC3 and Totem? before I was thinking if getting totem coil not the 2 step but the boxxer was really cheap "on tight budget" so I bought it! didn't have a chance to ride a totem but a friend of mine had 66 on their bikes reign X1 and Glory Freeride! I was really impressed with the way their forks perform buttery smooth, responsive to small bumps and can take big hits without feeling of bottoming out the fork and very stiff! so I decided to make some changes and glad I did! with a single crown I can ride my bike without looking like a killer DH bike on my local trail and get less attention from other riders with 6 or 7 inch travel bikes.

From those many nights I've searched, one things for sure if you have a 1 1/8 frame a chris king steelset with a thicker crown race will definitely clear your down tube and for a 1.5 frame a chris king will still clear your downtube depending on how tall are you adjustment knobs on the fork. I'm not sure about the FSA pig or cane creek coz when I was in the store comparing those 3 headset I noticed that the crown race of CK is thicker than those two and both the FSA PIG and Cane Creek had a flushed crown race to the lower cups.

Do some research before you hammer that headset on the beast. it is such a bummer if you dont clear the downtube with those headset you mentioned. I'll post some pics later next week.

Lucky on the 08 frames bro! those are slacker than the 07's I'm pretty sure when you are done putting it together it will be a killer ride! good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    my buddy's 66 internals was converted to RC3 without the those tall adjustment knobs

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

barely cleared the downtube hope this helps for future Helius ST owners with the old 1.5 frame thinking of going single crown. I think the 08 frame with a slacker HA will have no clearance issue because of the slacker HA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Zero
    Looking good....have you weighed it yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Zero
    Looking good....have you weighed it yet?
    its at 41 lbs right now the geometry feels right but I have to raise the BB and steepen the HA coz its too low at BB 13.3 we'll see how she feels after some tweaking!

mtbr member
    Frame, Size, & Color: kawagrun
    size taillor : head angle 65,5, top tube 570mm, seat tube 420mm, bb height 340mm, Chain stay lenght 430mm...
    * Fork: bos engineering idylle pro
    * Shock: bos engineering s**toy
    * Brakes: magura louise bat carbon 8" sl rotor
    * Cranks: shimano xtr optimized
    * Shifters: sram x0
    * Rear Derailleur: sram x0
    * Pedals: twenty6 rally ti
    * Stem: Funn S-H with titanium
    * Handlebar: Funn fatboy 30mm
    * Seatpost: saso poc carbon titanium
    * Saddle: SDG fly
    * Cassette: shimano dura ace 9 speed 11x27
    * Chain: sram pc991 hollow pin
    * Headset: acros ah-07 signature serie
    * Grips: funn combat
    * Front Tire: schwalbe big betty 2.4
    * Rear Tire: Michelin dh24 2.2
    * Inner tubes: continental light
    * Complete wheelset: dt swiss 1750 n'duro
    * Chain guide: gamut p30
    * Chainring: e13
    weight 17,2 kg ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    vinc 74, amazing bike.....interesting spec.

Like to hear more about the ride and the BOS shock and forks and the twenty 6 pedals. Are the pedals the new larger ones? Like the colour combo.....can't quite make out the decal colour....are they silver?

Building up an ST myself with Totems, CCDB, Saints, SRAM, Schwalbe etc.Probably will weigh just under 17kg.

What part of France do you usually ride?

mtbr member
    hi,
    the decal colour is chrome
    bos shox and ford is the best suspension that I could ride, the grip is enormous in all situation. the twenty6 rally is a little fragile but the finishing is very good ... for my next bike, i have ordered the chrome edition .
    (sorry for my very poor english )

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    great bike!

chapeau!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hi vinc74, can't make out from photos what hole you are using.....what's your shock setting?

How are your DT EX 1750's holding up.....I have some but they have gone out of shape very easily only doing XC? Now thinking I will need a tougher wheelset for the ST....probably Halo Freedoms, Azonic Outlaw rims or Mavic 823's? What do you think?

Where's your riding, buddy?

mtbr member
    I ride in the 200mm position, my show setting is n4
    the dt ex1750 is not the most solid wheel set, but they are very light.
    for a free ride and downhill usage, the mavic 823 or 721 is better . because with on 1750, it is necessary to ride very properly.
    I'm ride in French alpes, Les Gets, Morzine and Chatel

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi vinc74, thanks for the feedback. I have one other question, please. How do the Magura BAT brakes compare with Saint's? I hear that the modulation of the BAT's is very nice, but are they powerfull enough? Just building up my Helius ST over the next few weeks and would like your advice on what is the better brake.
    Last edited by loamranger; 02-23-2009 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    i haven't ride with the new saint's, but the magura is very mighty an tough. I'm not a lightweight rider

mtbr member
    hey hey , salut Vinc' on te voit partt sur les posts Nicolai

I've seen Vinc74 bike and it's an amazing rig !!! Too bad the pilot is not at the level of the bike , just kidding

Have you thought about the new dee max on it ?

mtbr member
    lol,
    the new dee max is for my next bike, I have found a world cup deemax ... the weight with paint is 1780gr for the pair.. in 150*12mm rear ..
    but my next bike will not also be funky . this helius st is the perfect geometri for me

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Vinc74 - Kawa Green is the fastest colour, just so happens i'm waiting for my new FR in just that colour!

Similar spec to your ST as in tailored 420 seat tube but 585 top tube and 66.5 deg HA.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    yes it's the best colour

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    can you get the new DEEMAX in 135 x 12mm rear...can't tell from the website?

mtbr member
    ya, it does existe, it's possible to pass the 10mm bolt to a through axle in 12mm, on a 135mm width

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just checked the price of the Deemax and I am wondering is it worth the price (500).....you could build an 823/hope pro 2 combo that would weigh around an esimated 2200g with db spokes, compared with 2160g for the standard Deemax, and you would save around 200.00? But perhaps it's cheaper in France?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast