Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    'All over it!'
    Thats an awesome weight, how is it riding?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My new toy.. finally got my dream bike... Thanks to Matt of Euro bikes.. and to Err on the seatpost diameter... thanks guys.. not so much bling on the parts but it'll do for now..

* Riding Style? Terrible

* Rider height 5'11, weight 170lbs
    * Frame: Size M, Anodized Black
    * Fork: 06 Boxxer Race changed fork oil to spectro 7.5wt
    * Shock: Vivid 5.1, 8.75X2.75
    * Brakes: Avid Juicy 7
    * Cranks: Race Face DH 170mm
    * Chain Guide: MRP System 3
    * Shifters: Sram X9 Rear
    * Front Derailleur: N/A
    * Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 Short Cage
    * Pedals: Crank Bros. 5050
    * Stem: Sunline Rockshox Boxxer Direct Mount
    * Handlebar: Answer Protaper Riser Bar
    * Seatpost: FSA FR-270 30.0
    * Saddle: Specialized from old bike.
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face Diabolus X-Type
    * Cassette: Sram PG990 9SP
    * Chain: Sram PC-991 9SP
    * Headset: FSA Orbit
    * Grips: OURY
    * Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.5
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: RPM XXL SunRingle
    * Front Hub/Skewer: SunRingle
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    * Rear Rim: THE
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: THE 12X135
    * Overall Weight: 39lbs

* Shoes: Five Ten Impact 2 Low (a must have) trust me on this!

Nico 1.jpg

Truly The ONE bike. now I'm a believer.. I can pedal this beast uphill with ease and rip the trail downhill with confidence.. sweetness!
    Last edited by zero; 07-13-2008 at 04:20 AM.

'All over it!'
    Hey zero, that has to be one of the most stunning ST's I have ever seen, get that puppy dirty and let us know how it handles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Zero, that's a great looking steed! Just received my 08 ST frame size large which is in pale blue with red levers etc. and red decals to match. I am very happy with the look of it. Current injury means I will build it up sometime end of the year or early next year. I estimate it will weigh in at around 35lb. I will post pictures of the frame soon. How are you finding yours?

"Its All Good"
    Sweet looking ST Zero, be keen to hear some more thoughts on how you are finding it....

Hit us up with some more pictures, can never have to many pictures....

Enjoy...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Hey zero, that has to be one of the most stunning ST's I have ever seen, get that puppy dirty and let us know how it handles.
    Thanks lornibear.. I'll do my best to trash this beauty with my poor riding skills.. coming from an AM rig specialzed enduro I have alot to learn.. with a properly tuned suspension and a balanced rig learning should be fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hi Zero, that's a great looking steed! Just received my 08 ST frame size large which is in pale blue with red levers etc. and red decals to match. I am very happy with the look of it. Current injury means I will build it up sometime end of the year or early next year. I estimate it will weigh in at around 35lb. I will post pictures of the frame soon. How are you finding yours?
    Thanks ryates, I wish I had the 08 with a slacker head angle.. but I had a good deal with this frame thanks Matt.. I've been looking and drooling at this frame for about a year and a half... finally my dream came true.. bike fully assembled reached 39lbs. I think its because of my crankset and fork. well I guess I just have to pedal more going up and getting used to the weight should do the trick.. I could slacken the head angle but my BB drops to 13' inches and i've been hitting all kinds of stuff on my local trail. one time I hit a big rock on the shell itself and it doesnt sound or feel good at all.. I know I know this baby is up for such abuse but not now.. maybe after a season then I'll try to loosen her up... wow I wish I could build her at or around 35lbs .. I'll try to get her to loose some weight maybe after a season.. lighter fork, crankset and saddle should loose a few lbs.. it doesnt feel that heavy though pedaling her up.. amazing..

the ride with a slacker HA feels fast and stable gives a true meaning to the saying "just point and shoot" amazing stability.. I've been holding back on my ride because I have to tune my fork with the right Oil wt. . I'll let you know how she rides now with a lighter fork oil and a steeper HA.
    Last edited by zero; 07-13-2008 at 04:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by whafe
    Sweet looking ST Zero, be keen to hear some more thoughts on how you are finding it.... Hit us up with some more pictures, can never have to many pictures....
    Enjoy...
    Thanks whafe.. I've tried her on my local trail with the HA slackened and it felt good and fast but I've been hitting it hard on the BB shell of exposed rock and loose ones and I feel bad trashing her like that. theoretically the bash ring should take care of it right? I guess another case of user error.. so I had her on the 66 HA with BB of 14.. and this week I'll take her for a spin.. peddaling her up is a different story though.. bro this thing climbs just like my enduro even better.. I just wish I could put a front derailleur without loosing 8inch of travel so I can have little granny working for me when I need her. I guess I just have to muscle up and work with what I have.. I'll let you know how she rides with a steeper HA. should be interesting now with a plusher fork and that bottomless vivid..

A good friend of mine with a DH rig shared me some words of wisdom.. that is to go fast and let the suspension work for you not the other way around.. I just changed my fork oil to a lighter wt. and she feels buttery smooth on a short run.. I'll see how she handles on a longer run this week..
    Last edited by zero; 07-13-2008 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thoughts on the bike... spot on geometry.. really stable on rocky section it felt strong and just floats on everything... maybe my suspension is too plush.. though I noticed the bike feeling very light when going fast.. it doesnt feel 39 lbs at all.. to be honest.. my friends glory freeride is 2 lbs heavier than my bike but you could feel the weight of that bike even when you're going fast.. I don't know if its good or bad.. but one things for sure.. This bike will push your limits.. it thrives on fast rocky terrain.. very happy with my ride today.. cant wait to ride again next week..

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by zero
    Thoughts on the bike... spot on geometry.. really stable on rocky section it felt strong and just floats on everything... maybe my suspension is too plush.. though I noticed the bike feeling very light when going fast.. it doesnt feel 39 lbs at all.. to be honest.. my friends glory freeride is 2 lbs heavier than my bike but you could feel the weight of that bike even when you're going fast.. I don't know if its good or bad.. but one things for sure.. This bike will push your limits.. it thrives on fast rocky terrain.. very happy with my ride today.. cant wait to ride again next week..
    Sweet to hear, you make some very pertinent points on allowing the suspension to do the work..... I often run more sag than some would think needed, precisely for that reason...

Especially more so on a more DH orientated bike..... I always have in my mind that I want to bottom out the suspension on a ride, not constantly, but to let me know that I am using all the available travel....

Hit us up with some pics, the ST is pure beast, so the team loves to see action shots....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hello!

I haven't been posting much.. I've been to busy updating my bike

So I'll have a new post on the new setup ->

* Frame: Size M, Red
    * Fork: 05 Boxxer World Cup with custom paint & stickers
    * Shock: Swinger 6way
    * Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    * Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller
    * Chain Guide: e13 LG 1
    * Shifters: Sram X9
    * Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 Short Cage
    * Pedals: DMR V12 Mag
    * Stem: Funn Boxxer Direct Mount
    * Handlebar: Salsa Promoto flat bar
    * Seatpost: SDG I-Beam
    * Saddle: SDG I-Fly xc
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face Evolve FR
    * Cassette: Shimano Ultegra
    * Chain: Sram PC-89r
    * Headset: Chris King Steelset
    * Grips: Odi Intense
    * Front Tire: Maxxis High roller 2.5
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic EX721
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis High roller 2.5
    * Rear Rim: Mavic EX721
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II
    * Overall Weight: 39.5 lbs

You can also see the new black levers, which I got straight from Nicolai
    And the pics off course -->

With the new levers now I can run the bike with some more slacker angles and I'm totally lovin' the flat bars!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Just received my 08 ST frame size large which is in pale blue with red levers etc. and red decals to match. I am very happy with the look of it.
    I REALLY want to see this frame...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Err: Did you have any clearance issues with your Helius and the 66 ?

I just switched to a 66 and I also have a CK steelset and the crown is not clearing the frame..

Bottlerockin'
    What gorgeous machines! I think I've found my future frame...
    Do the shocks have to be mounted with the piggy back in the rear for clearance issues?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi coiler8, I hope not because mine was supplied with the piggy the other way round....not built yet....I think its more an aesthetic thing....may change it over.

Bottlerockin'
    Yeah, same sorta thing with my Bottlerocket -- it was sent with the piggy back backwards, but I switched it for the convenience of tuning and looks too. When is your build gonna be done, I can't seem to get enough of these bikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Lars loved the first picture of your ST - very moody and industrial. Very fitting for a Nicolai, you should sell the image to them for their catalogue!

Floki that's a pretty sweet looking ride, very focused. I imagine it would be awesome down some of the tighter UK DH tracks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Frame: Size M, Red
    * Fork: 08 Rock Shox Totem Solo Air
    * Shock: Fox DHX 3.0 with TI, 8.75X2.75
    * Brakes: Formula Oro24
    * Cranks: Race Face Deiabolus170mm
    * Chain Guide: E.13 SRS
    * Shifters: Shimano Deore
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    * Pedals: 24
    * Stem: Race Face Diabolus
    * Handlebar: Truvativ Holzfeller
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite 30.0
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket
    * Cassette: Shimano Deore
    * Chain: Shimano Deore
    * Headset: ONOFF Hamer
    * Grips: LizardSkin
    * Front Tire: Maxxis High Rollerl 2.5
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Larsen 2.35
    * Wheels Set: Azonic Outlow
    * Overall Weigh: hmmm...

Last edited by ablee; 12-27-2008 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Frame: Size M, Black
    * Fork: 06 Marzocchi 888
    * Shock: Fox DHX 5.0
    * Brakes: Avid Code. Until recently Hope M4.
    * Cranks: Race Face Diabolus170mm
    * Chain Guide: E.13 DRS
    * Shifters: SRAM X9 trigger rear. SRAM X9 Twist front.
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore on a home made front derailleur tower, smaller diameter and shorter than standard, no clearance issues with rear tyre with full travel.
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
    * Pedals: Shimano
    * Stem: Sunline integrated
    * Handlebar: Easton
    * Saddle: Ritchey Race
    * Cassette: SRAM
    * Headset: Pig
    * Grips: ODI Ruffians
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Minion 2.5
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis High ROller 2.5
    * Wheels Set: Sun MTX cammo rims, WBT front hub,
    * Overall Weigh: About 20kg. or so....
    Attached Images Attached Images

'All over it!'
    Nice ride there, I would be interested in hearing more or even seeing the home made front mech tower there....

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Some lovely beasts there, love the red one above looks very hardcore industrial S W E E T ! ! !
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice ride there, I would be interested in hearing more or even seeing the home made front mech tower there....
    Yeh, sorry, a bit of a brief post there yesterday, back at work and wasting time.
    The front mech mount was surprisingly easy after a little bit of lateral thinking. The genuine one is way long and the same diameter as the seat tube. I didn't think that it needed to be as long as it was (which it isn't), so I ended up using a piece of old seatpost I think it was. The mounting block is threaded at the same pitch thread as a star fangled nut (edit - actually this may not be correct, but it is a standard metric size, M8 maybe?) , so I used a long headset bolt and top cap to hold the shorty post in place.
    The front mech is a Shimano Deore because they have a pretty wide range of diameter options and fits on the narrower post easily.
    So at full travel with running a 2.5 Maxxis I still have a reasonable amount of clearance, never had any fouling issues, even in mud where I fit a little plastic guard to keep the crud off the derailleur.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dmorgs4; 01-05-2009 at 04:16 PM.

'All over it!'
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorgs4
    Yeh, sorry, a bit of a brief post there yesterday, back at work and wasting time.
    The front mech mount was surprisingly easy after a little bit of lateral thinking. The genuine one is way long and the same diameter as the seat tube. I didn't think that it needed to be as long as it was (which it isn't), so I ended up using a piece of old seatpost I think it was. The mounting block is threaded at the same pitch thread as a star fangled nut (edit - actually this may not be correct, but it is a standard metric size, M8 maybe?) , so I used a long headset bolt and top cap to hold the shorty post in place.
    The front mech is a Shimano Deore because they have a pretty wide range of diameter options and fits on the narrower post easily.
    So at full travel with running a 2.5 Maxxis I still have a reasonable amount of clearance, never had any fouling issues, even in mud where I fit a little plastic guard to keep the crud off the derailleur.
    Interesting piece of machinary there my friend, just makes me wonder why Nicolai don't use a similar method on factory built STs? Why can't people have full travel and run a front mech? If they could do it, perhaps there would be many more STs rolling around the place. Food for thought perhaps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting piece of machinary there my friend, just makes me wonder why Nicolai don't use a similar method on factory built STs? Why can't people have full travel and run a front mech? If they could do it, perhaps there would be many more STs rolling around the place. Food for thought perhaps?
    The factory option is presumably fitted exactly the same, just that the tower is the same diameter as the seat tube and much longer than the stubby one I've fitted. I would presume that's so you could raise the front mech on the tower so as to have more adjustment options with bigger chain rings. I'm running a 36 or 38 depending on track and I have the front mech as low as possible. It seems as though the standard tower is too tall and fouls the tyre on full compression. Dunno why they don't trim it down, it's not as if a bigger chainring is very usable on the beast anyhow the majority of the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can cut the standard tube to the length you want and therefore gain clearance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast