mtbr member

We the people ... Nicolai Helius FR in Spain (warning - dry and dusty content)

Based on ryates reply below I thought I would remove this from the CCDB thread hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hi Yetiman, the black FR looks great with the Black Totem. Where abouts have you been riding in Spain......any recommendations?

Cheers.
    Thanks ryates, the bike was immense on the steep rocky trails out there. Our group has been using Ciclo Montana http://www.ciclomontana.com/ on and off for the past 12 years or so. I can't fault them at all. They are based 2 1/2 hours from Malaga in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The riding there ranges from fast flowing dusty singletrack to steep, rocky switchback infested trails on the side of ravines.

This is a track called Tourettes. Very aptly named I think as the switchbacks are tight and drop to nothing.

This was a rest stop before riding the Elephants Tail

Here is part of the Elephants Tail

And here is a video from last year of us riding the Elephants Tail. Unfortunately we didn't have a head cam this year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_qWF7glwVI

The only mishap I had was slicing open the rear tubeless big betty on a sharp peice of slate. The hole was far too big for the latex to deal with so I popped in a tubeless patch and a tube for the rest of the day.
    There's quite a bit of climbing as well and on one day the total ascent was 1400m. Although the FR weighs approx 37lbs in it's current guise it doesn't feel it on the climbs and the only time I noticed it's weight was pushing it or carrying it on the un-rideable sections.

We've only been back for 2 days and we're already looking at another trip in May next year

'All over it!'
    That scenery looks fantastic there yetiman! Next year I am going to make a concerted effort to get myself abroad and do some riding. The area in your photos looks fantastic as does your FR, how did you find the totem coils on the rocks, drops etc?

Castron BTT Crew
    Jan 2006
    Superb trails! Thank for sharing!

'All over it!'

Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yetiman71
    Based on ryates reply below I thought I would remove this from the CCDB thread hijack.

Thanks ryates, the bike was immense on the steep rocky trails out there. Our group has been using Ciclo Montana http://www.ciclomontana.com/ on and off for the past 12 years or so. I can't fault them at all. They are based 2 1/2 hours from Malaga in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The riding there ranges from fast flowing dusty singletrack to steep, rocky switchback infested trails on the side of ravines.

This is a track called Tourettes. Very aptly named I think as the switchbacks are tight and drop to nothing.

This was a rest stop before riding the Elephants Tail

Here is part of the Elephants Tail

And here is a video from last year of us riding the Elephants Tail. Unfortunately we didn't have a head cam this year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_qWF7glwVI

The only mishap I had was slicing open the rear tubeless big betty on a sharp peice of slate. The hole was far too big for the latex to deal with so I popped in a tubeless patch and a tube for the rest of the day.
    There's quite a bit of climbing as well and on one day the total ascent was 1400m. Although the FR weighs approx 37lbs in it's current guise it doesn't feel it on the climbs and the only time I noticed it's weight was pushing it or carrying it on the un-rideable sections.

We've only been back for 2 days and we're already looking at another trip in May next year
    WOW! just looked at the video, some of those switchbacks look a little cheeky! Looks awesome dude.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    That scenery looks fantastic there yetiman! Next year I am going to make a concerted effort to get myself abroad and do some riding. The area in your photos looks fantastic as does your FR, how did you find the totem coils on the rocks, drops etc?
    The Totems were excellent but probably overkill for 50% of the trails we rode. However, the 2008 FR seems to handle much better with the totems than the Fox 36's so they will be stying on the bike. A lot of the trails are very rocky and very fast and initially the Totems seemed to be struggling but once I had the rebound dialled in properly ( front and rear) the whole bike came alive. Arm pump was something the other riders were suffering from but not me. The damping is very plush even on small and medium hits and the spring rate is progressive. This is one of the best forks I've ridden.
    Another thing that the holiday showed up was just how good the Roco TST R shock is. I would even go as far to say that it's just as good as the CCDB on the majority of trails.

Southern Spain is an excellent place to go biking. The weather is almost guaranteed to be sunny and the trails cater for most types of rider. There are no chair lifts so you have to earn all the downs but it's worth it. You finish the holiday fitter and faster than when you arrived.

"Its All Good"
    Great pictures, glad to hear you had an awesome trip, bike went sweet, looks sweet wearing a Totem fork too..... Glad to hear the Roco shock went well also....

Some sweet as looking terrain.... Mmmm should have got down to that area in my time in Spain....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That is amazing terrain.....thanks for sharing. Video was great!

Team Mistermoonbikes
    fantastic downhill and photos!!!!!
    More than 15.000 posts in foromtb.com, from Murcia, Spain, garypalmer....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Yetiman, interested to know what rims you are running.....are they still 721's? How did they stand up to that kind of use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hey Yetiman, interested to know what rims you are running.....are they still 721's? How did they stand up to that kind of use?
    I'm currently running 819's on Hope pro 2 hubs with 2.4 big betty rear and 2.5 High Roller front. Unfortunately the rear rim got pretty trashed last week (including 2 snapped spokes) so it is off to get rebuilt. So far I've been really impressed with the strength of the rear 819 but the continued abuse it received in Spain proved too much. I have a spare set of 823 wheels so I'm going to fit the rear to the Helius but leave the 819 on the front. This should be a pretty good combo.

'All over it!'
    I must admit I have run 819's on Hope Pro II for the last two years and they have been faultless, even with my rather undignified air time! My next Helius will have the Syncros DS28's mated to the same hubs. They are some 60/70g heavier but will accomodate the larger tires better, giving me the full width of the tyre - believe me, I need it!

mtbr member
    I don't think it was the wheels fault as I travelled to Spain with a couple of loose spokes and spent most days trying desperately to keep the wheel true. I'm actually very pleased with how they've stood up to the abuse considering how narrow they are but I'll fit the 823 for complete peace of mind and keep the 819 as back up.
    Are you going to convert the DS28's to tubeless?

'All over it!'
    I am not sure yet, probably not! I will be honest I am a little disappointed with the selection of tubeless tyres on the market. I may well just stay with tubes until the selection becomes wider.
    I am thinking about either a NN/BB combo or FA all round for trail riding and MM all round with the glooey on the front for the more serious stuff.
    Any ideas how much extra the tubless conversion would weigh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    @ Yetiman
    How do you like the Gravity Dropper so far ? Did you have any problems and does it work reliable? I'm considering getting a retractable setpost for my FR build, but I'm not sure which one.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Any ideas how much extra the tubless conversion would weigh?

Well, if you convert your standard rim to tubeless (just using some electrical tape and a cut open 20" innertube), with sealant and standard tyres, you actually might save a bit of weight compared to tubes. If you're riding hard I would not recommend this route though, as it gave me nothing but trouble in the Alps: puncture not perfectly round but more like a slash (as most real world 'made by a sharp rock' punctures are)? Sealant did cover it up a bit, but the same hole popped open a couple of times a day, every day. And it's a fooken mess to put a tube back in.

So I've put my tubes back in, permanently.

'All over it!'

Hmmmm.....

I think I will stay with the tubes. Have spent a lovely two years on tubeless, but would prefer tubes and a vast selection of lovely tyres to try

mtbr member
    Testmaen - I've been using the GD since the beginning of the year and so far it's been very reliable and hasn't required any servicing. Mine is the 4" drop only version but now the warranty has run out I'll probably modify it so it also has a 1" or 2" drop. I'm having to run a shim with the Helius because my previous bike had a 27.2mm seatpost diameter but it hasn't introduced any play between the GD and seat tube so I'm happy enough.
    If I had to replace it I'd probably go for the new 5" post from Pure-Race sold via Superstar Components. It's been getting some good reviews. http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index...sk=view&id=910

'All over it!'
    I must admit yetiman, that post looks rather nice. I have often been tempted by the various designs on the market but was put off by reliability issues, in addition to the weight. Perhaps the manufacturers have come up with seals that actually do what they say on the tin. Perhaps it is time to spend the 149 on the remote version, even if it weighs another 500g.

Just one question, are they reccommended for big lads like myself? It all sounds like a promising purchase.

mtbr member
    How heavy are you? According to the GD website the post can withstand an 800lb static force at 90 degrees. They don't mention any figures for heavy impact type shocks to the post.

http://www.gravitydropper.com/Facts.html

'All over it!'
    Thanks for the link, interesting reading. Well perhaps I should purchase one as I must admit, they sound like an awesome piece of kit, as long as they are reliable.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    That looks awesome mate, I'd love a blast around there!!!

mtbr member
    It was only 7 weeks ago but feels much longer now

30+ degrees then..... minus 5 degrees last night. Brrrrrrrr