Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sdr08-That is stunning,good build and a good weight.wouldnt be scared to hit big stuff on that.

How are the Stans rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    sdr08-That is stunning,good build and a good weight.wouldnt be scared to hit big stuff on that.

How are the Stans rims?
    Cheers mate. At 34lb it's a good weight without compromise and it's far more capable than I am. Takes a 6/7 foot drop with ease which is about my limit but if you were to stick a pair of more XC orientated tyres on it you could ride an epic no problem.

Can't comment on the Flows as I've only used them once for a lap of my local hill but they felt strong and are only about 1800g. It was Cyril88 on this forum that recommended them and he's a hard, fast rider so if there good enough for him and he can't break them at the Mega they'll do for me .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Was thinking of a Stans Arch wheel build,bit more xc/trail than the SX wheels,Problem is the SX's only weigh 1750g and have been excellent,I weigh 235lbs so need a strongish wheelset.
    I have a set of Hadley hubs,with these and Stans arch rims with CX-ray spokes i think it will be just under 1600g,That will hopefully be a good xc/all day set of wheels.

Used to do regular 20 milers on my Fr,and have a play.

mtbr member
    Was thinking of a Stans Arch wheel build,bit more xc/trail than the SX wheels,Problem is the SX's only weigh 1750g and have been excellent,I weigh 235lbs so need a strongish wheelset.
    I have a set of Hadley hubs,with these and Stans arch rims with CX-ray spokes i think it will be just under 1600g,That will hopefully be a good xc/all day set of wheels.

Used to do regular 20 milers on my Fr,and have a play.
    I've also been considering the Arch rims but as a pair of Hope Hoops which are just over 1600g. The only problem is I don't know if narrow Tyres would suit my local trails so I'm now considering the Easton Haven wheel set at 1650g! Light weight strong wheels that can take up to a 2.5 tyre....perfect....apart from the fact that they only come in either 15mm or 20mm axle sizes which cannot be converted between the two and I want to be able to use them on both types of axle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Stans just replied to my email,They said Arch would be ok,but would reccomend Flows due to my weight and what i ride.Its a bit more than XC.
    My wheelbuilder just replied saying he would prefer to use Brass spoke nipples.
    Thats just added 140g to the build.
    I run 2.25's never had much luck or grip with anything else smaller.

mtbr member
    The spoke calculator on the DT website shows you how changing spokes and nipples etc changes the weight - Stans rims arn't on but you can mess with others.

http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/Calculator.aspx

I once built a DH wheel with DT Revolution spokes and Alloy Nipples - it lasted three years before I had to re-lace it (with normal spokes and nipples). It made for a very light DH wheel at the time and that life was probably quite good when i think of the battering it took. Many wheel builders don't like alloy nipples - for me they are fine as long as you realise you are building in a weak point - don't expect them to last as well as a normal wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not sure if i should risk an Arch rim,going to be expensive if it goes wrong.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the comments on the evolution of the FR, looking forward to giving it a blast back home in 'The Promised Land' (Wales) this weekend.
    Oi less of the "even in baby blue"! Pastel blue is the new black! Haha.
    The forks fit the frame perfectly uber light and 180mm travel, what more can you ask.

Sdr if you are building some new wheels check out dt Swiss White spokes, pretty light (although expensive) and look pimp as tits with black hubs and rims. I'll post some pics of my burgtec hubs on mavic rims built with them on the dh bike.
    Also if you wanting to race the bike def have a look at dt for rear hub as that star ratchet free hub thing is immense! Hence the dt wheels still being on the FR even though them rims are made of cheese!
    Happy trails and hope the sun might actually come out soon!

mtbr member
    Not sure if i should risk an Arch rim,going to be expensive if it goes wrong.
    I like my flow rims and they are seriously light for the abuse they can take, but I think most of the credit goes to the tyre profile thanks to the width of the rim.

Arch is lighter by 50g, and narrower by 3mm... are you a gambling man?
    Last edited by thepimpmessiah; 02-25-2011 at 04:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Frame Helius FR Large (Urban Camo)
    Rockshox Lyric solo air dh 1.5HS
    Headset Chris King 1.5
    Shock CCDB Ti Spring
    Front Wheel Hub Hadley 20mm Disc (36 Hole)
    Rim DT EX 5.1d 36 Hole
    Spokes Sapim CX-Rays
    Rear Wheel Hub Hadley Disc Hub (36 Hole)
    Rim DT EX 5.1d 36 Hole
    Spokes Sapim CX-Rays
    Front Tyre Schwalbe Big Betty
    Rear Tyre Schwalbe Noby Nic
    Front Brake Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    Disk Size 203mm Hope floating
    Rear Break Type Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    Disk Size 183mm hope floating
    Brake Lines standard
    Crankset Shimano XTR
    Chainguide Blackspire Stinger
    Bashguard Gamut
    Front Der Shimano XTR
    Rear Der SRAM XO Short Cage
    Shifters SRAM XO
    Rear Cassette SRAM PG-990
    Chain SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin
    Seat Post Thomson Masterpiece (31.6mm D)
    Stem Straitline (1.5HS size)
    Handlebar Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm,low rise
    Grips ODI Rogue
    Just below 36lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Need some advice. My mate has a 2007/8 FR now, a recent acquisition from Dipper. It's now fitted with Race Face Deus dual crankset. Which is just a triple with a bash fitted so nothing unusual.

The problem is the front mech. Conventional XT fitted. I can see there is a cutout on the swing arm to allow the mech to sit lower, but as low as it will go, after the bottom two gears in the granny the chain rests and grinds away on the rear brace of the front mech cage.

This was first ride after build today.

Already have two spacers on the drive side of the BB, don't think that can be spaced out further. So a bit puzzled really? Not enough sag? But that's still. Goodly amount out!,

If the front mech is moved further out to give clearance on the limit screw, it wont change down to granny from any higher gears...

Anyone else had the problem or have advice on setup here?
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    You need to set up as if there is a third/big chainring. It looks to high but its the only way to make it work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Need some advice. My mate has a 2007/8 FR now, a recent acquisition from Dipper. It's now fitted with Race Face Deus dual crankset. Which is just a triple with a bash fitted so nothing unusual.

The problem is the front mech. Conventional XT fitted. I can see there is a cutout on the swing arm to allow the mech to sit lower, but as low as it will go, after the bottom two gears in the granny the chain rests and grinds away on the rear brace of the front mech cage.

This was first ride after build today.

Already have two spacers on the drive side of the BB, don't think that can be spaced out further. So a bit puzzled really? Not enough sag? But that's still. Goodly amount out!,

If the front mech is moved further out to give clearance on the limit screw, it wont change down to granny from any higher gears...

Anyone else had the problem or have advice on setup here?
    i run an slx front mech designed for 2 chainrings, cheap as chips and loads neater

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Seatpost clamp

An extremely boring question for you guys.

I bought a second hand helius fr 2007 frame a couple of weeks ago and am working on the build. I have ordered a 31.6mm reverb post which I think is correct but can anyone tell me what size seatpost clamp the frame requires?

Also if anyone has a geometry spec sheet for the frame that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Gareth

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    The seatpost clamp is 34.9 mm.

Here's the geo chart for you.

Enjoy your new rig!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks Smith, that's a great help.

Cheers

Gareth

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi guys,

Took my newly built up Nicolai Helius FR 07 out for a ride last weekend. A really nice ride and great fun getting some easy air with this springy bike. All good until a muddy uphill section when I was plagued with chain suck. Anyone else had this problem? It's really annoying as not only did I end up having to push up the hill but worse I badly scratched the chainstay each time the chain got stuck. I've heard new chain rings might help so can give that try. I currently have new cassette and chain but old chainring so guess new front rings could help. Just wondering really if this is a well known Nicolai niggle that others have come across and solved in the past?

Also considering a Blackspire stinger though no idea if that will help...

I had some pics ready to show the problem but don't yet have enough posts on MTBR to be allowed to upload them.

Cheers

Gareth
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    "Funny OT start"
    Get rid of those shitty gxp-crancks and replace them with (respeckt ,law/order, the only way to do things right) SHIMANO SLX

Shorten your chain as short as possible, use the (ULTIMATE and the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY to do things right) SHIMANO XT SHADOW rear derailleur MEDIUM CAGE

If U want ride as hard as the real mountaineers, real cool guys and pros, U must use SHIMANO SAINT SHADOW SHORT CAGE rear D.

With this setup, (shitty ugly heavy poor) blackspire stinger no needed, and ultimate ride to the dawn is true.

Adjust your FrontDerailleur again propely and check the chainline straight (bb-spacers if needed).

One thing you choose right tho, Nicolai Helius FR

Only true battleship on the way to MORDOR
    "Funny OT end"
    Sorry my poor language, big fan for the google translate.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hello all. I've just joined the Nicolai club after a wait of many years. This is my build so far, everything has been swapped from a spare hardtail and there will surely be a change or two in the near future. It's nowhere near as swish as some of your stunning bikes but i am absolutely loving the ride (it feels very light and playful) and the fit for me is perfect.

* Frame, Size, & Color: 2004, Large, Black ano.
    * Fork: Marz 66RC
    * Shock, i2i, stroke Fox DHX 5.0 Air, 200x57
    * Brakes: Hope M4 front, Mini rear
    * Cranks: Middleburn RS8 Ex-type, Renthal 32t
    * Shifters: SRAM X0 (rear only)
    * Front Derailleur: N/A
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9, short cage
    * Pedals: Straitline defacto
    * Stem: Straitline pinch clamp 50mm
    * Handlebar: Chromag OSX 780mm
    * Seatpost: Bontrager RL, Hope clamp
    * Saddle: '90s Flite Titanium
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope SS
    * Cassette: Shimano 11-34 9sp
    * Chain: SRAM 9sp
    * Headset: CB Directset AM
    * Grips: Superstar
    * Front Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.4
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Halo Tornado
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Halo SpinDoctor 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.4
    * Rear Rim: Halo Tornado
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Halo SpinDoctor, Hope skewer
    * Cables: Goodridge
    * Misc: MRP G2SL guide
    * Overall Weight: Unknown so far

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hs anyone used a 50mm stroke shock in the FR, it would reduce the travel to 150mm or so, but thats no biggie? It means it can be kept lower and slacker in a more forward hole without risdking ST strikes...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nicolai Helius FR - Setup Database-heliusfr.jpg

The FR in its final days in my possession
    "When the gate drops the ******** stops"

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14