mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Nicolai Helius FR 2007 - yay or nay

Hi All,
    First post on here, been riding nicolai for about 8 years now and currently living in Malaysia, anyway after some advice...so here goes

i have an opportunity to buy a mint 2007 FR with DHX 5 coil, 450lb, cane creek headset, post, FD and seat clamp for about 600 quid....

Am very tempted as it would go nice with my CC and possibly a set of 36's I have...

Is there anything i need to check for...there is no play, no marks or scuffs anywhere and it has not been resprayed, all seems quite standard..

So, should i buy it or not?

Any advice welcome

Cheers
    Mark

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good buy. Perfect for 36's.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    would you go for van 36's or talas, either are a possibility...is it worth a ti spring?
    cheers dipper,
    certainly feels like a good buy...

mark

mtbr member
    I prefer the van to the talas personally. Never really get on with talas. Unlikely you'll need the travel adjust on the fr anyway. Never tried a to spring in a van but it won't hurt. Should drop some decent weight
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Smile Done Deal!

Okay, So i bought the FR, it is pretty superb in terms of condition, no play in any areas, DHX 5 seems good, 2 rub marks and that is about it.

Rear shock is currently set to second hole down, whilst front mounts are one hole back if you know what i mean, not sure what each setting does so will start investigating.

Not having much luck so far on the research, i obtained each travel setting for the four positions at the rear but need to know how moving front affects things. Any suggestions where to look?

Also, on the coil is says fox 450 x 2.37 i think (not able to check at moment), 450 is the spring weight ? so what is the 2.37 bit?

If I want to replace it with a ti spring do i simply need the same?

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    SHINY

mtbr member
    im not thaty familiar with the 07' id have to look for some pics. if i remember right it's got the adjustable travel settings similar to other helius models but different to the 08> ?

450 is the spring weight. you should be looking for @ 25>30% sag. 2.37 is how much travel the spring has. your dhx i suspect will eb a 57mm stroke(2.35" or there abouts) so your spring indicates that there's enough free space in the coils to accomodate that.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny1973
    but need to know how moving front affects things. Any suggestions where to look?
    That's pretty simple. Travel remains the same. Moving the shock mounts backwards steepens the angles and raises the BB, moving them forward slackens the angles and lowers the BB. Be careful with the latter - always make sure the rear tire doesn't collide with the seat tube on full compression. To do this, remove the shock and try to compress the suspension until there's 143 mm between shock mounts (200 mm shock eye to eye minus 57 mm shock stroke). If there's still some gap between the tire and the seat tube, you're ok.

If I want to replace it with a ti spring do i simply need the same?
    You need a 450 lbs/in spring with 2.25" or greater travel, just make sure it isn't too long to fit the shock.

steep fast and loose :)
    You also need to measure the spring length (free length) which will probably be 127mm or so...

"Its All Good"
    Awesome find, you will not be dissappointed, the FR is a rocking good frame...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    You need a 450 lbs/in spring with 2.25" or greater travel, just make sure it isn't too long to fit the shock.[/QUOTE]

how did you work that out? i dont see his weight listed anywhere
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    how did you work that out? i dont see his weight listed anywhere
    I probably misunderstood what the OP was saying, I though he was looking for the same weight ti spring as his current steel one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Am i right in thinking that.....

Okay, so i weigh about 87kg and the frame came with a 450lb spring which should be fine. I was considering changing the fox steel one for a ti one and was indeed wondering if i just need to get another 450lb ti spring of the same length?

As for the moving the mounts, the front is mounted one hole back from the shock end, so 3 on one side and three the other, this move will lower the BB height (yes?)

At the rear mount it is currently in the seconf hole down so if i want max travel i simply need to move it to the top hole (right?)

If i want max. BB height i need to move front mount forward to hole nearest front end of shock (right?)

Thanks for all your adivice...keep it coming...

Can i use a standard CK headset? I have no intention of jumping just pounding through so some rock garden type stuff, opinion seems divided and i have seen many recommend a deep insertion headset....opinions?

Thanks again

Mark

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Okay, so i weigh about 87kg and the frame came with a 450lb spring which should be fine. I was considering changing the fox steel one for a ti one and was indeed wondering if i just need to get another 450lb ti spring of the same length?
    Well I'm ~82 kg ready to ride and I have a 450lb spring at the moment (I own an '07 FR just like you) and I find it a bit on the soft side and the suspension tends to bottom out a bit more often than I'd prefer (I have a 500lb spring around but just haven't decided whether I want to swap the springs or not). So if I were you I would be looking at a 500lb one at least, maybe even 550lb.

As for the moving the mounts, the front is mounted one hole back from the shock end, so 3 on one side and three the other, this move will lower the BB height (yes?)
    If I get what you're saying, yes, your BB is now lower than it could possibly be.

At the rear mount it is currently in the seconf hole down so if i want max travel i simply need to move it to the top hole (right?)
    Yes.

If i want max. BB height i need to move front mount forward to hole nearest front end of shock (right?)
    You'll have to move the front mounting plates backwards so that they're positioned like this:

Theoretically you can move them even farther backwards, but this way there'll be only 4 bolts holding them in place instead of 6, and it may affect the geometry in a bad way.

Can i use a standard CK headset? I have no intention of jumping just pounding through so some rock garden type stuff, opinion seems divided and i have seen many recommend a deep insertion headset....opinions?
    You may but it will void your warranty on head tube ovalization. I've seen numerous Nicolai builds with standard headsets and people don't seem to be bothered a lot.
    Last edited by Smith; 01-24-2011 at 02:20 AM.